PDA

View Full Version : Windows MCE better than Tivo? Says who?

jasong
09-07-2005, 08:37 PM
I don't want to get this deleted so I'm not going to give my advertising code that Tivo gives out as an incentive. To be perfectly honest, I don't even know what my code IS. Anyhow...

The Tivo is an almost simplistic device with a limited ability to interact with your computer, assuming you're not a relatively skilled hacker, which I'm not. It's basically a glorified VCR with a subscription plan. Everything you do is via the remote, whether you're channel-surfing, assigning a Sason Pass, or making a Wishlist entry. Mine is a Series 2 with about 40 hours of recording at it's worst setting. Because of the way the Tivo works, I haven't actually looked up TV guide entries in weeks. If a commercial advertises a show I want to see(like Invasion), I simply make a Wishlist entry and, when it's less than 2 weeks away from showing, I delete the Wishlist entry and get a Season Pass. Unless the shows come on at similar times, I simply check the Tivo about every 24 hours, delete shows I don't want, and watch what I do want. It works out great.

There are a lot of people out there that think just because their digital video recorder can be used as a regular computer, that it makes a better than a Tivo. Well, I've got two words for them: System Crash. I've had my Tivo for about 5 months and it has behaved in a distressing fashion ONCE. Just one time. It displayed it's "Please Wait" message for way longer than normal. I simply walked away, came back 15 minutes later, and it had dealt with whatever problem it was having. Who can claim they've had a similar experience with MCE, or even one of the dvr bundles out there? Not many.

About 20 minutes ago, experiencing one of my impulisive moments, I announced to my dad that I've decided to save for for a Media Center. I was thinking crunching power AND a recorder in one. Now that I think about it, it's simply not worth it. Who wants to reboot a machine so they can simply watch Family Guy? Not me.

Tivo is a nice, dependable concept that will stick around as long as it maintains it's quality. I intend to be a customer of their's for a long, LONG time.

If you ever want to buy a DVR, I suggest you take a good, hard look at Tivo.

Jeff
09-08-2005, 01:27 PM
While I don't own a TIVO system... I'll agree that a DVR is a PIA. I had one running for a month or so and I had nothing but *minor* troubles. It was cool... but more trouble than it was worth imho.

LAURENU2
09-09-2005, 10:29 AM
I just got pi%$**d off at di$$netwothless and changed to direct with tivo in all 4 rooms I can do 80 Hrs of record and record 2 programs at once while viewing a 3rd
I do not thing you can do all this with a MSMS system
But I do intend to setup a MSMS system for my TV so I can surf in a picture in a picture from the comfort of my easy chair :thumbs:

jasong
09-09-2005, 04:30 PM
This is a minor skew of the topic, but my mother dislikes Tivo because she prefers to watch Live TV, which is possible with Tivo, but not with my setup. Since current events aren't something I'm really interested in, it's no big deal that everything I watch is either recorded according to my preferences or not at all.

Just thought I'd mention that for people attaching Tivo to old technology, which is what my problem is.