Thread: run while computer is idle

run while computer is idle

does anyone know how to limit the program so that it only runs while my computer is idle? I permanently stopped the service because I'm tired of turning it on and off while I'm at my computerr.

Do you find it uses too much computer resources? For me, cpu usage always throttles down when another task comes up; the distributed hardware client is set to low priority. The java processes do use 70 MB of RAM, but I have 512 MB RAM (using linux here).

These boards don't seem to get a lot of replies ...

-- Stephen

Stephen
    If your desktop gets out of control easily,
    you probably have too much stuff on it that
    doesn't need to be there.
    Donna Smallin, "Unclutter Your Home"

yes, it is hogging the CPU. I have a bunch of applications running right now, yet java is using 92% of my CPU. my applications are fighting with Java to get their fair share...

Can you give more info ... what OS are you running, how do you launch the program?

Stephen

I am using WindowsXP SP1, and it installed a service that launches the program. Java's priority level is set to low, but it is still hogging the CPU. I assume this is normal behavior, but it was my understanding that these programs only use your computer while it is idle. Is there a way to suspend the process while my screensaver is not on and start it back up when the screensaver kicks in?

Justin

About the only thing I can suggest is to reboot, and see if the problem goes away.

What version of java are you using? Maybe a different one might work better.

Stephen

Another idea I had is to try launching it from the command line instead of as a service. Maybe you'll have more luck getting the priority to set to low in the task manager that way.

Stephen