Thread: Microsoft Windows 2000/NT Source Code Leaked!!

REDMOND, Wash., Updated Feb. 13, 2004 -- On Thursday, February 12, Microsoft became aware that portions of the Microsoft Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4.0 source code were illegally made available on the Internet. Subsequent investigation has shown this was not the result of any breach of Microsoft’s corporate network or internal security, nor is it related to Microsoft’s Shared Source Initiative or its Government Security Program, which enable our customers, partners and governments to legally access Microsoft source code.

Microsoft is working closely with the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation on this matter. Microsoft source code is both copyrighted and protected as a trade secret. As such, it is illegal to post it, make it available to others, download it or use it. Microsoft will take all appropriate legal actions to protect its intellectual property. Questions about the investigation should be referred to the FBI.

Microsoft reaffirms its support for both the Shared Source Initiative and the Government Security Program.

At this time there is no known impact on customers. We continue to be committed to protecting our customers and their networks, and we will take any appropriate steps to ensure that we meet this commitment.

*cough* Seems the Windows API source was in there *cough*

So, they've finally gone open-source!
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

There was some very good discussion of this over on Slashdot. What I found most interesting was the debate over whether someone could examine this code and then ever make any contributions to an open source project without running the risk of being viewed as "tainted" and potentially subject to a lawsuit. Right now there seems to be a lot of grey
    area with regards to the lines between copied, derivative, or "inspired by" code.; and I think it won't be long before the courts have to step up and draw those lines more clearly.

Yeah, the horror would be another "SCO-like" episode. Only this time set in motion by M$ with the intent to invalidate an apps GPL by claiming it is tainted with copyrighted code.

The potential for M$ to litigate is vast
    Agent Smith was right!: "I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell! If there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."

Blog Entries
    It would appear that some person not connected to MS had access to NT/W2K source code, and made it available to another person, who in turn passed it on, etc., until *someone* posted the sucker.

For MS, this is potentially very serious, as Win NT/2K is most definitely proprietary, or what I call "closed source".

If the source code that was made available on the web included stuff that has the potential to compromise security, this posting becomes a very big deal indeed.

Time will tell....

irc.aknarra.net #lobby
    irc.free-dc.org #free-dc

25/25Mbit is nearly enough :p pointwood's Avatar
    I don't believe it's that big a deal.

It's far from the complete Windows source code and it's not like cracker/hackers have had problems finding bugs in Windows *without* the source code.
    Pointwood
    Jabber ID: pointwood@jabber.shd.dk
    irc.arstechnica.com, #distributed

0-6 12-9 11-3 11-3 0-8 1