Thread: Trust eBay?

Trust eBay?

Should I trust the sellers from eBay to buy my computer's CPU? I'm bidding on a supposedly new in-retail-box Sempron 2400 but I don't know if I can trust it. Anyone have any computer buying parts experience from eBay?

-Jeff
    Distributed Hold'em

I decide on the ratings others gave, and if the guy is paypal buy protected IF he is, they'll protect you up to 500 dollars, and then if the price unreasonably low, i dont trust them.. lol

What is ebay ?

i dont think that's helping him...

i trust newegg

i have had goodluck buying items on ebay, just never bought computer parts there.

i know another member here had some bad luck. a high rated power seller went bankrupt holding alot of our buddy's cash.

i have several asus mobos and athlon xp i will put on ebay, meant to a long time ago. people pay higher for used stuff on ebay than i can buy new from newegg.

I'll never buy from Newegg.com again. Here's the list of what I bought for my first computer from them (I bought everything else elsewhere):

Mobo
    Processor
    HS&F
    RAM
    HDD
    5.1 Surround Sound Card
    5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

Here's the list of what DIED within 2 weeks of having it (and they REFUSED to trade it out except the MOBO which they replaced and it was DOA):

Mobo
    Processor
    HS&F
    HDD
    5.1 Surround Sound Card
    5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

That's right, everything but the RAM. I consider NEWEGG.COM a NEW AGE RIPOFF. I know many ppl here like Newegg.com, and I have many friends that love it too, but I had a bad experience and got stuck with over $500 in BAD parts (I was 15 at the time and that was a lot of money for how much I worked).

-Jeff

(I'm bidding on a Sempron right now, I won't go much over what I've bid so far, but if I win and get it I'll post the good seller's name. He's got a 1500+ rating over a 6 yr period and the only complaints are -slow shipping-).
    Distributed Hold'em

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    I've spent probably $10K at newegg over the last few years and never had a problem, except for two refurbed mobo's. That's a risk I'm willing to take though.

As for ebay, I've also never had a problem on it, but then I usually only buy stuff that I can't get elsewhere and your are usually safe then... took me a long time to find a copy of Betty Blue on DVD Not the taiwanese censored version either. Ended up getting a region 2 (Aus) copy of it still shrinkwrapped for $25

Just a few weeks ago I bid and won a set of 30 Dean Koontz books for $30. All in perfect condition including 5 hardbacks!! And two 1st editions..

Bok

i just bought a cellphone on ebay (my wife decided hers was too dirty and threw it in the wash with her jeans...doh! )

took a risk on someone with no feedback at all as a seller; he said it was "almost new" and was getting rid of it because his girlfriend didnt like it ...

but yeah, it works great, and looks brand new.

I've purchased a Compaq Armada 6500 (low end laptop, P2 366 if memory serves). No problems with that.

My most recent purchase is my baby - an IBM Model M keyboard (the kind with clicky keys!). The particular one I purchased was manufactured in the late 80's and works like a dream (typing on it now). The ones with UK layouts aren't very common on eBay, over the course of several weeks I only saw two (the first one I let slide, clinched the second).

I've bought and sold quite a lot of stuff on eBay and never had a single problem with anybody. I always pay by PayPal if I can, but have also sent (and received) cheques, again with no problems.

Anyway, getting back to my point - whilst the keyboard possibly isn't as valuable as a CPU, the laptop was quite pricey and the transaction was flawless.