Thread: What is the best place to buy a custom Linux box?

What is the best place to buy a custom Linux box?

I don't have a lot of money(about $200), so if I can find a place that builds custom computers and is willing to install Linux on it, that would be great. Better yet, they can sell it with an empty hard drive so I can save money by installing Linux myself.

Does anyone know of a place that will do this? Will retail stores like Best Buy or Dell cater to decisions like this?

has been eaten by a grue.
    I'm missing something, perhaps, but why not build it yourself? A US$200 budget is a bit tough, but if you follow sales and rebates, in a couple months you should have all the manditory bits.

Originally posted by QIbHom
    I'm missing something, perhaps, but why not build it yourself? A US$200 budget is a bit tough, but if you follow sales and rebates, in a couple months you should have all the manditory bits.
    I read that, and then I had a thought that I didn't have the other 10-million times I read a similar idea.

If you have hardware to test hardware, it doesn't have to be top-of-the-line, it just has to work. Also, since EVERYTHING I do on the Internet is for my amusement and only benefits the owners of DC projects, there's nothing preventing me from cannabalizing my own computer to do stuff, ike testing a second computer. My grandmother has a computer that I can use for the message boards. Also, I trust my grandmother not to utilize a cookie in a way that tarnishes my name, so I can have sign-ins on her computer go through autotically.

Tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to get my dad to help me document what I have that works, so I can figure out what I need.

Thanks guys. I'll show my dad the "trained technician" who was so tech-savvy in the 80s that he was hired to help spy on the Russians(and now refuses to help me refurbish my computers because his lack of knowerledge frustrates him) what a DCer with some motivation can do.

Can anybody point me to a website, so I can ID what each component in my computer does?

Blog Entries

Re: What is the best place to buy a custom Linux box?

Originally posted by jasong
    I don't have a lot of money(about $200), so if I can find a place that builds custom computers and is willing to install Linux on it, that would be great. Better yet, they can sell it with an empty hard drive so I can save money by installing Linux myself.

Does anyone know of a place that will do this? Will retail stores like Best Buy or Dell cater to decisions like this?
    Jason You asked the same questions in this Thread a day or so ago http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...2302#post92302 I gave you a link where you could get a 2200 sempron PC all setup with CD flopy HD Ram 128 MB and perloaded with linspire 4.5 all that for 159.00
    Why make 2 threads for the same question

Lauren,

Those sure are some great deals!!!!
    I gotta talk to my Dad about getting the windows box. I was going to suggest Dell to him... My bad...

I've never worked with Linux before, but have been wanting to. I have an OLD Pentium system (p1-150mhz) with 32MB of ram... Not sure that would even be worth the electricity to set-up to crunch on. I know that Linux is supposed to work faster, but, this one is probably too old to do very much...

Cool LOL

Love the anim Ghost.

Gotta get me some of those fembots
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/