Thread: Crazy Barton.

Crazy Barton.

I just put an old Barton 2500 back online on a duallie Asus AMD board and I was scrating my head as to why, with my normal board mod (solder the multi on the rear of the board) it wouldn`t boot.
    No cmos kill on these things but I eventually got it going and found out the reason.
    CPU0 was OK but CPU1 couldn`t make it`s mind up whether it wanted to be a 2200Mhz or a 5000Mhz cpu. I just wish it would have run at 5000Mhz, I could have got quite a few grand for it on Ebay
    Anyway, on further investigation, it appears the internal frequency is wobbling all over the place if it`s on 133Mhz FSB but settles down to a saner 2222Mhz at 100FSB.
    So now, instead of 2 modded 2200Mhz Bartons, I`ve got one 2200 and one 5000 which gets pulled down to 2222 if I run them both at 100FSB which then gets the good one to 1600. Only the Asus would run 2 totally different speed cpu`s and let you get away with it.

Anybody else had anything similar?
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

Are you shure that those are unlocked Bartons?

As far as I know there is no way to manipulate the multipliers on locked ones...

Maybe your mod isn't quite ok....so the multiplier is changin' ???

Acutally I have no clue, but it sounds like an interesting problem

Greets Thor

You can set multipliers on Socket A boards by either doing some solder links under the cpu socket or linking via thin wire across the socket holes or the pins of the cpu.
    Couple of websites do guides which are of use to boards which don`t have multiplier settings.
    Asus dual AMD boards are good for this as they have no multi setting in the bios and you can use XPs/Bartons even without doing the L5 mod as you can tell the board not to check the MP status. Mobile Bartons are pick of the crop and at standard 1.65 instead of their normal 1.4ish, a 2500/1800Mhz will go to 2400Mhz easily.
    There are older 2500 Bartons with the links visible instead of the newer sub surface links but the mod is actually on the board. I have the other 2 boards running Mobile Bartons and instead of solder links, I have a small dil switch fitted to the control pins which allows me to vary/set the multi by setting the switches.

Best known site for these mods is here
    and there is another (Japanese/English) site the address of which escapes me at the mo`.
    Done an awful lot of these boards for various people and never had one fail using XPs, Durons, Bartons.
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat