Thread: 4847•2^3321063+1 is prime!

Thumbs up 4847•2^3321063+1 is prime!

As some of you already figured out, we've found a prime for k=4847! As posted on http://www.seventeenorbust.com/news/ the prime was discovered at 10:50PM EST on October 15th by Richard Hassler, a long-time user who has been crunching SB since August 2003!

The decimal expansion can be viewed at: http://www.seventeenorbust.com/docum...ime-101205.txt

Hopefully those disappointed by the artificial slowdown that double checks have caused recently are pleased that it resulted in a new discovery so quickly.

We're working to correct the scoring system so that these tests are worth as much per amount of computation as larger ones. Until we do, keep in mind that although the scoring has temporarily decreased, the ease of finishing a test has gone up which does improve your chances of actually finding a prime.

As always, we'd like to thank our dedicated crunchers for all their efforts thus far.
    Last edited by vjs; 10-19-2005 at 04:04 PM.

Congrats to all crunchers !!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations everybody

Brilliant.

Sceptical Member
    Congratulation

Sceptic
    Violently sceptical!

Nice work !!!

I was wondering, can we know who it was that missed the prime the first time around? Or does that person not want us to know, or do you not want to inform that person?

Proud member of the friendliest team around, Team Anandtech!
    The Queue is dead! (Or not needed.) Long Live George Woltman!

Originally posted by Ken_g6[TA]

I was wondering, can we know who it was that missed the prime the first time around? Or does that person not want us to know, or do you not want to inform that person?

Yeah, actually we should find this jerk whereever he might seek refuge and put him in jail and punish him and torture him until this . And throw his computer out of the window .
    You can't hide. We'll find you. We are distributed!
    X

Big congrats from those of us at Riesel Sieve. Your decision to take a breather and push forward on an intense doublecheck made me look inward at our error rates. We found a few users with bad CPUs and have launched into our own full double check of lower n values.

After looking at some data, I wouldn't be surprised if we find a few primes ourselves in doublechecking...actually...I wouldn't be surprised if SoB found ANOTHER prime in doublechecking.

Again, congrats on the prime....hopefully you find a few more real soon and drive up the interest in prime number projects and distributed computing.

Lee Stephens

I love 67607
    That's wonderful news... Congrats on the brave decision to move agressively on double check.

BTW, I guess we still have sufficient time for the november prime this year.

Congratulations
    - Payam

Well done all....

I don't see this listed on Chris Caudwells pages yet - has it been submitted?
    This would still be one of the larger proth primes I think.

Originally posted by Vato
    Well done all....

I don't see this listed on Chris Caudwells pages yet - has it been submitted?
    This would still be one of the larger proth primes I think.
    Yeah, it was submitted. I don't believe we've heard back from Chris yet - he may be away or something right now.

Alien88, what was the first pass return/error code result of this latest prime?

nice work everybody!

this weighs in as currently the 9th largest prime for those who were interested and didnt know.

Shows the value of doublecheck. we should all be believers now forever.
    As someone conjectured, we might even find another this way.
    I, too, would like to know the circumstances of the original test that missed the prime.
    During doublecheck, I have added one more computer (four total) and stopped prime95 for now on the two that i have it on. We can really clean things up and move on with an almost new slate. Significant milestone for the project, especially since we surpassed the halfway mark with the discovery.

Only eight more to go! Is it actually possible we can prove this conjecture?

Originally posted by Alien88
    Yeah, it was submitted. I don't believe we've heard back from Chris yet - he may be away or something right now.
    It's listed now.
    9th largest known prime as of the time I type this.
    Only 5 GIMPS and 3 SoB first-pass primes beat it.

I love 67607
    We now have four of the ten largest primes...

That's a huge success.. Congrats everybody.

also is the turning point of the whole project.

as louie said on the front page "9 down -- 8 to go"

who knows what another 3 years will do