Thread: Dimes trouble?

Dimes trouble?

Anybody else having problems with Dimes clients just exiting?

The servers seem to also have continuous problems and I`ve had to watch the log carefully when I`ve been restarting mine cos they keep throwing up various server errors.

I`ve lost a lot of points the last few days both with the servers not answering and clients just mysteriously exiting for no reason I can find on both NT2K and XPSP2.
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

Yeap me too.

I've been getting alot of clients just disappearing on me. I've had to restart about 20 clients over the past day.

If this keeps up, I might not be able to run it anymore as I cannot be babysitting this client all the time.

I've just checked the clients that I restarted last night and they are down again today.

This is really getting on my nerves.

Yeah me too.
    I run 2 machines with 2 Virtuals on each. The Virtuals run on 2K and seem mostly OK but since the last update to the 4.02, a lot of people seem to be complaining of problems.
    Might get round to popping onto the Dimes forum and asking WTF is happening and with their servers being incommunicado so frequently.

I am losing hope and giving up on this project.

I think I won't restart the clients anymore until they resolve this issue.

i quit this a while ago, too much of a hastle

I asked the DIMES folks why they send a ping for every traceroute to the same address. I chose "traceroute" in the menu for a reason. I got a <null> response.

http://www.netdimes.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=275

I sent some error logs etc to the project and they are being looked at.
    I have been promised a reply, probably, by Sunday from Eran and the team.

All my clients are coming up with the same error which is something about Hotspot Java Virtual machine.

Loads of error logs off these and I tried to send a .RAR file attached but like a lot of Unis etc., they don`t like attachments so I sent a sample of 2 different machine logs, one virtual and win2k, one XPSP2 and off a server/main machine, as cut and paste which has been acknowledged and is being looked at by the team.

OK guys, full steam ahead.

Just had word back from Eran that he and the team have found the bug in the traceroute scripts that was causing the problem and only reared it`s head after they set some new scripts running recently so I`ve now been up and running no probs with 6 clients (2 main machines and 4 virtuals) for 3 days now.
    There is some more work to be done on the tracerouting and the display converting the results into graphics but that is being worked into the next update and shouldn`t cause any real problems until then.

The guys have actually been pretty good and reasonably fast at sorting things out once they knew they had problems and I have given them a few suggestions which they say they`ll look into for the next update which apparently has lumps of new stuff.
    I think it is definitely worth our continuing support for this project and they are, as I already said, quite fast and responsive as long as they are given the needed info.
    In this case it wasn`t too hard cos the problem was in the Java machine and that part does actually have a good error logging facility which I eventually noticed about 3 days after my original complaint. my excuse is I didn`t know it was there so didn`t check the folder very thoroughly in which it`s installed. Like a lot more people, I just moaned at them until I noticed the error logs while checking something else.

So we good to go or what?

Do we have a whoopsie on the Dimes stats tonite?
    Our end or theirs?

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    aww, sh$%$,

I was making some changes to the stats, to make the logging much better (so as to allow it to be displayed as a hyperlink) and made a new variable the same name as an existing one

This caused it to think the date was different...

It'll be ok tomorrow. It's the same in d2ol, tsc and some other projects too..

Sorry guys

Bok <-

No probs, it`ll sort itself out.

Even a Supreme Being can have an off day and the universe would likely be a boring place if it was perfect.

Any of you guys still running Dimes experiencing clients shutting down on themselves?

Mine have been OK since they altered the server scripts.
    I have, however, posted in the Dimes forum about most of the clients using UDP instead of ICMP despite being set up to use ICMP solely.
    Tried to get them back to ICMP as UDP, except for specific purposes, is blocked on my network and mostly so on my ISP.
    This means that the log is full of "no reply" messages as the router stops incoming UDP anyway and I won`t allow indiscriminate UDP on my network.
    See what they say when I get a free moment.