Thread: DC-sieving organisation brainstorming

DC-sieving organisation brainstorming

With the sieve client being soon able to sieve beyond 2^50, I would like to initiate some brainstorming about DC-sieving.

As we will be able to continue sieving just as 2^50 were no particular number, DC-sieving will not be an urgent topic for years.

Though, PSP sieving is continuing, of course, and PSP sievers will continue doing SoB-DC in the same time.

Now, they need to check two reservation places, the PSP reservation thread and the Sierpinski sieve group.

So, I wonder if it wouldn't be logic to give them the responsability over DC entirely, (if they accept), and to send people willing to do DC-Sobsieve over to mersenneforum.

This is what I think, and others might come up with other ideas, or may say why it is not a good one.

I am curious, Yours, H.

As Joe make a very good job in maintaining the DC sieving an it is his "baby" he should have the responsability about the SOB DC sieving project.

As the main siever at PSP i see no big problems to make double reservations and to be honest there is still much work to be done before i would recommend combined ranges for all SOB DC sievers.

If somebody wants to help out he is welcome.

Lars
    www.Rechenkraft.net - most comprehensive german website about distributed computing projects

Not really DC sieving but I found this one recently whilst sieving 83T-85T up to 50m. It had previously only been sieved to 20m.

84438753254467 | 33661*2^39168+1

It's nice to have found 280 new factors (only this one below 20m) and I've only sieved 1.11T of the 2T so far.
    Quad 2.5GHz G5 PowerMac. Mmmmm.
    My Current Sieve Progress: http://www.greenbank.org/cgi-bin/proth.cgi

Originally posted by Greenbank
    Not really DC sieving but I found this one recently whilst sieving 83T-85T up to 50m.
    Do you do sieve PSP in the same time? It's fun; you'll find firstpass factors as well, at this level. You can ask ltd at mersenneforum for details.