Thread: FAD to close..

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries

FAD to close..

1-Nov-05 Find-a-Drug to close

The Find-a-Drug project has now processed more queries than the original 250 we envisaged. We have also targetted most of the recognised protein targets for the major project areas. Where we have been able to obtain experimental data to confirm biological activity, the predictions have exceeded our expectations. Our experience suggests that it will be difficult to find collaborators who will be interested in the results of targetting proteins whose biological function is unknown or of little therapeutic interest.

We have concluded that there are insufficient worthwhile protein queries to continue the project into 2006 and have decided to close the project on 16 December 2005. We will continue to make some new queries available over the coming weeks but will not accept results after the close of the project.

We are obviously very grateful for the contributions of members and will continue to work with our collaborators.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentioned in another thread but I thought it deserved it's own! Wow never seen this coming!

Bok

EH?????

Wow that`s unusual.
    And a bit of a shock though I was thinking of looking at something else.
    I still want to stay in that kind of project though so I guess I`d better start looking.
    It`s a pity Seti I didn`t do the same thing. They must hold the record for keeping a program going with very little worth and long past it`s sell by date. It still surprises me how many people are in it to the death though my servers are gradually losing customers.
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

Well XPC will survive

watch out for the Cows trying something before the close.

Things went very wierd when DF closed.

At least they gave us plenty of warning, so big to the FAD guys.
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

OK

Who was closing on Fozzie this time????

Wow hard to believe that FAD is closing. Also hard to believe that there isn't any other worthwhile protein targets to work on.

So what will everyone else switch to, the latest fun project Rosetta after the 16th?

Blog Entries
    I think Rosetta needs some pimping on the Fad forums from some of the regular contributors there....

Blog Entries
    Should we try a push to take over 2nd place before the do shut down???

Even if we mobilised everything

i think XPC could make it too difficult for us. We'll need to keep an eye on The Cows.
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by LAURENU2
    Should we try a push to take over 2nd place before the do shut down???
    Even with everyone running full pelt 200M+ in 45 days would be a VERY tall order unfortunately..

Lauren, out of interest, are you thinking of any other project to switch to after FAD ?

Bok

What the? So FAD is closing eh?

Looks like we've got to defend our position over here before the Cows pull a fast one.

I'll move my Muon fleet over here to bring up the stats a little more.

Damn!

This is really depressing news! I find it hard to believe that there are not more targets. What about grid, the original think people? They are still going strong. I am NOT going back to them.... no way....

How difficult is boinc to set-up? Will it work on my old win98 box w dial-up? It gets about a 50 in fad.... I defintely want to do some medical stuff....

I'VE CURSED YOU ALL!

DOH! I finally get back to Free-DC... Pick a project.. and it CLOSES!

Vote for which project you would like to see die next and I'll move my boxen over there.

if you like FAD and DF, you might try Rosetta. it's aim seems very similar to DF. i dunno if BOINC supports proxies, but it seems like it should.
    C-x C-c

Blog Entries
    Boinc does support proxies. I have it running against a squid proxy on a remote box right now

Dreamer, I'm fairly sure BOINC works under win98 too, it's easy to setup. Create an account on the homepage of the project, download the BOINC software, use the wizard to install and attach to the project with the key they send you. It then handles the rest.

Dial-up is ok. You just have to set your 'time to connect' appropriately. Give it a try.

Bok

Is there anyway to hid the tray icon for boinc....that is the problem i ran into over here at school...stupid people dont like it and close it out, thus closing out boinc...

Easiest way to hide the icon in Windows is

Start->Settings->Taskbar and Start Menu->Check Hide Inactive Icons->Click Customize Button->Find BOINC Icon->Set to Always Hide

Also everyone. Please check out the "Life after FaD" thread that someone started in this forum. I've got a suggestion for after-FaD Life. At least on a temporary basis.

-Jeff
    Distributed Hold'em

Blog Entries
    Lauren, out of interest, are you thinking of any other project to switch to after FAD ?
    Well I only ran FAD Because I liked the client and Believed think could help mankind.

I fund all the costs of running this network and have spent tens of thousands of dollars crunching for FAD
    I am not sure I wish to continue the cost of Crunching after FAD is dead. And if I do it would not be with the power I now have.

I would hate to see you go LAURENU2. You've been a great team member and a very very generous one at that.

Even if you don't crunch anything, you can hang in the forums and cheer your Team on.

Just don't be a stranger.

Blog Entries
    Not to worry PY I will not leave the team . Besides who would organize the party's around here

Yeah I could see how that would depress someone LAURENU2...

That's a lot of cash to put into a program with seemingly no results at the moment. Then again, my aunt and uncle work for Lilly and drug development takes FOREVER. It could be up to 10 years before we hear anything from FaD's findings if ever at all.

I hope you decide to stay on DCing in some form. Do -not- go to WCG or D2OL because the THINK program used by FaD could crunch ALL of their data in no time flat. i.e. waste of time for you

Hopefully you'll put some on BOINC Rosetta and some on a math project (wink wink) like Riesel Sieve. :-D

-Jeff
    Distributed Hold'em

Lauren look into Rosetta! It appears to be along the same lines as FaD.At least it's medical research that could lead to cures!! Just my two cents worth Bud, but I would hate to see you leave!!
    THE MORE I WORK ON MY COMPUTERS,THE MORE HAIR I LOSE!!

Originally posted by n7vxj
    Lauren look into Rosetta! It appears to be along the same lines as FaD.At least it's medical research that could lead to cures!! Just my two cents worth Bud, but I would hate to see you leave!!
    Lauren I second this motion with the caveat that it's not quite a "medical" project in the same sense that FAD is. what i mean is that FAD targets specific molecules with potential as drugs for particular diseases. Rosetta aims to predict protein structure, which I would term more of a basic biological/biomedical aim, because it has broader applications than just drugs. however one important possible application of being able to predict protein structure is design of drugs that interact in desired ways with specific proteins without having to know their structure.

I like to contribute to these types of projects as well; it just seems to me to be a more direct and important way of possibly helping people than, say, looking for aliens, advancing mathematics, or (:scoff breaking an encrypted message

there are certainly other bio/health oriented projects, some more aimed at drugs than others: F@H is kind of like DF/Rosetta (more basic medical science), whereas D2OL/TSC is more drug oriented. I'm not sure what UD and its relatives are up to (or where grid.org or WCG fit in there) these days. but the aforementioned projects are where i would wager my cycles (i'm going to rosetta) to best help mankind, as you say.
    C-x C-c

This news has put me in shell shock.

But camliner's post has got me
    Vote for which project you would like to see die next and I'll move my boxen over there.
    This was the smoothest running project I have seen, with great support from Keith as well.

i was never big into FAD because of such the small output i had compared to most of you but this news still stinks. Besides possibly losing a contributer like Lauren to DCing, I wonder how many other people will also be lost.

I also agree that Lauren should look into Rosetta. As of right now probably my favorite project with wonderful admins.