Thread: BoincView remote_hosts.cfg

BoincView remote_hosts.cfg

BoincView is not seeing any of my win or linux locations. The message Im getting is There seems to be no BOINC client beind port 1043. I found one site that said to enable rpc for each client, restart the client after creating the remote_hosts.cfg file in the boinc dir. I know how to enable rpc on the linux client by adding the -allow_remote_gui_rpc arg.

My question is: how do I enable rpc on a Windows client which is setup to run as a service? I can see in the services page that the startup command is boinc.exe -daemon but I'm not sure I should mess with that.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Just make sure you have the remote_hosts.cfg file in the boinc directory configured for the IP address of the machine doing the monitoring.

If this is a 5.x.x installation, check for the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file too, it will contain a long string which is the password for remote access. Change this password to something more manageable if you wish, then restart the client.

In boincview there is an option to enter this password once you hit F12, then select that particular client.

Bok

I have the problem and still cant get it to work.
    I am not running my clients as a service though.

I can use the file method but it only updates once then gets some error I cant remeber now.

Is there a way to pull the workunits from a central location?
    I loved the way FAD was set up.

All of mine are working now.

On Windows one thing I *think* I hit: it may need a trailing carriage return at the end of password in the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file. Also you need to restart the boinc client after changing the password and creating the remote_hosts.cfg file. (As a service you can go into the Services Windows/Administrator/Control panel option).

On Linux I didnt need the remote_hosts.cfg file, just the password change, as long as my boinc client was being started with the -allow_remote_gui_rpc option; i.e. all remote hosts are allowed by default.

something like boincview might be nice, but some of my boxen are behind firewall over which i have no control. it would be really nice if there were a program that would monitor a DC client and send UDP packets to a monitoring box... oh, if only such a program existed, perhaps with a client monitor written in C and a gui in Java... yeah, wouldnt that be nice? <bats eyelashes>

yeah, so you think modifying FADProgress or having a similar setup might be feasible? I'd be willing to help on the fadprogressd side, but i don't know java.
    C-x C-c

Now I really have thing scrrewed up.

I was playing with the select computer option under the file menu.

Now it telling me I have an invalled password. What password is it looking for?
    I used the one from the config file and it wont work.

Boinc sucks.

Blog Entries
    Have you perhaps installed it to two different locations ? I had this on one install I think.

Bok

@Evil
    That select computer option is in boinc manager, not boincview. Not sure what it does.
    I think you'll find it easier to just change all the password files (gui_rpc_auth.cfg) to have the same string, for instance "freedc", then when you are in boincview hit the locations button, then the add button, then name the location, then in the rpc section type in the hostname and then enter freedc for the password. Then hit apply. Repeat for next node.

@Scoofy12
    Bats eyelash back...whatchu talkin bout?? UDP MUMBO JUMBO. I'm likin boincview...no way you can work around that firewall with a proxy or an ssh tunnel in or something? Maybe you should ask the boincview folks if they have plans to address firewall issues...

MerePeer,

Thats exactly what I have done with no luck.
    What did you mean by trialing carrage return?

I tried the select computer option on a remote PC first but I relized I had not changed the password on the PC I was trying to switch too so I typed in localhost and entered my new password that I had changed and all was well.
    I then went to my main PC, the one I tried to log into, the one with boinc view on it and changed the password on it. when I restarted the client I got an incorect password error. I went to switch computer typed in localhost and my new password and I get the same message. I then did a clean install on a third PC and copied the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file from it to my original install on my main PC. Still no luck.

Does anyone know what the switch computer option in the client is for?

I dont even care about boinc view right now. If I do a clean intall on my main PC what files do I need to save to keep my compleated and cached work?

I must be tired.
    Client problem fixed. I had a proccess running eventhough I had stopped the program. I killed the proccess and restarted all is well.

I still cant get boinc view to moniter anything remote yet?

Blog Entries
    Ok,

let's say boincview is on PC #1 with IP 192.168.1.1

you want to monitor PC #2 with IP 192.168.1.2

On that PC, you need to have a remote_hosts.cfg with 192.168.1.1 in it. If this is a 5.x.x client you will also have a gui_auth_rpc.cfg with a long string. I just change that to be 'boinc' and restart on #2.

On PC #1, go into boincview and hit F12, add a node, give it a name and select the 'Via network' option and then put in 192.168.1.2 and the password 'boinc'.

It then should work.

Note that any kind of firewall might be blocking port 1043 on either PC perhaps??

Bok

Thats what Ive done. I have shut down windiws firewall and all filters in my router. I just cant figure it out right now.

How do I check which ports are open and how would I change from the default 1043?

Blog Entries
    You'd have to recompile the client to use a different port.

Stupid thing to check...

The file remote_hosts.cfg is the correct name you have isn't it? i.e. make sure you don't have windows file extensions hidden or it might be actually named remote_hosts.cfg.txt and you just can't see the .txt

Can you stop the client on the remote PC, restart it and then cust and past the first 20 odd lines of the messages? IT should show a line saying

Remote Control Allowed

if it is set up ok.

We'll get there

Bok

I did have one of three with a hidden .txt its always the little things.
    This didnt help but I do see a message on restart:

11/7/2005 11:00:54 PM||Starting BOINC client version 5.3.1 for windows_intelx86
    11/7/2005 11:00:54 PM||libcurl/7.14.0 OpenSSL/0.9.8 zlib/1.2.3
    11/7/2005 11:00:54 PM||Data directory: C:\Program Files\BOINC
    11/7/2005 11:00:54 PM||Processor: 1 AuthenticAMD AMD Athlon(tm) MP 2400+
    11/7/2005 11:00:54 PM||Memory: 511.48 MB physical, 1.22 GB virtual
    11/7/2005 11:00:54 PM||Disk: 6.32 GB total, 4.03 GB free
    11/7/2005 11:00:54 PM|rosetta@home|Computer ID: 56257; location: home; project prefs: default
    11/7/2005 11:00:54 PM||General prefs: from unknown project http://climateprediction.net/ (last modified 1969-12-31 18:00:00)
    11/7/2005 11:00:54 PM||General prefs: using your defaults
    11/7/2005 11:00:54 PM||Remote control not allowed; using loopback address

Is there something else I have to do to allow remote access?

Blog Entries
    It's got to be something to do with the file.

Last sanity check.. it's saying remote control not allowed for that client, which means it cannot find the file

c:\Program Files\BOINC\remote_hosts.cfg

make sure there is no spelling mistake in the name?? Make sure permissions are ok?

delete and recreate the file if need be.

Bok

p.s. prefs last modified in 1969, that datetime is only a few hours after I was born.... ???

Thanks for all the help. Im to say what it was.

remote_host.cfg
    remote_hosts.cfg

Sorry for the mess I read that name at least 20 times and still spelled it wrong on my newest install.

The bad thing about VNC cut & paste doesnt work

Now if rosetta would just come back online

Thanks for the help Bok and MerePeer have a on me.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Happens to us all... I've stared at code for days trying to fix a bug, then gone back after a break and realised the most obvious of errors..

I remember back in the days, one of my fellow programmers searching for a week for a bug in a Cobol program which turned out to be a missing period

He got a new nickname after that

Bok