Thread: Storing sieving files on sep. comp. so hard drive can stop.

Storing sieving files on sep. comp. so hard drive can stop.

Riesel Sieve forum is busted, so I'm posting here.

I have two computers in my room running full tilt in Riesel Sieving, even when they weren't running I had trouble during the summer sleeping in my room because of the cooling issues. Now it's the exact opposite and it's a GOOD thing I have hot air blowing out the back of my computer's.

Anyway, I was wondering if it's possible to boot up the computer's in the normal way(hard drive in each computer doing it's thing) and then have my main computer remotely start an instance of sieving so a hard drive can run down in my secondary computer? I know someone's going to suggest Linux and, honestly, I'm dragging my feet because of the learning curve. Can anyone help me if I stick to Windows?

your hard drive shouldn't be running all the time. if it is it's not because of Riesel Sieve dude....something else is very very wrong.

I've got a 160GB Seagate 7200RPM HDD and it only runs on the interim saves that RieselSieve uses. If you've got a lot of RAM used up by RS & other stuff you may be using tons of virtual memory. In that case shut some background stuff down.

-Jeff
    Distributed Hold'em

Originally posted by CaptainMooseInc
    your hard drive shouldn't be running all the time. if it is it's not because of Riesel Sieve dude....something else is very very wrong.

I've got a 160GB Seagate 7200RPM HDD and it only runs on the interim saves that RieselSieve uses. If you've got a lot of RAM used up by RS & other stuff you may be using tons of virtual memory. In that case shut some background stuff down.

-Jeff
    Never mind, I've been informed by someone I trust that the vast majority of heat comes from the cpus running full tilt.

Clarification: The hard drives spin all the time, but they don't do read/write much, which I've been told causes the majority of the heat from the heads moving back and forth.