Thread: latest Free-DC pet project?

latest Free-DC pet project?

I have been away from here for some time. Life got real busy, but I still had my machines cranking away on F@H. but that has gotten stale. It's great to be one of the top producers, but not if it is only a handful of users on the team.

I was wondering, was is the latest "pet-project" around here. I have a bunch of relativily high end P4's that I can run on. my only requirements are that it needs to have a windows client and run as a service (ie background with machine not logged in) as these computers are available for student use, thus are not typically turned off, but I really need something that runs in the background.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Doc,

a lot of us are running Rosetta@Home right now and Free-DC has in fact recently hit #1 in this. It's a very nice client, good science behind it and there is lots of feedback from the project admins.

The client can be installed as a service and works quite nicely.

Bok

Additionally, another of our heavy-hitters is over in Riesel Sieve LLRing(checking if numbers are prime) and is quickly advancing to the top.

The website is here, although you might want to head into the forums if you're going to use hyperthreading.

I can confirm that under a Windows install of Rosetta, if you select the 'run as service' install option, the taskbar shows the Rosetta proc running at "base pri" of "Low".

soooo much is going to Rosetta @ Home...i'm hoping a few ppl will go put firepower on RieselSieve LLRing. It's easy to install and no BOINC invovled. Plus it gives up resources to other programs in a flash and won't bog your system.

-Jeff
    Distributed Hold'em

CM

Why should we commit resources to RS ?
    It is a maths project which serves what purpose exactly ?

OK, I give in.....
    I`ve put the Bonk on 4 cpus and going for Rosetta once the current FAD stuff finishes today.
    Will add another 3 cpus as I get at them.

Hey Ho....Number one team again ???? This is getting boring....might have to go over to the Cows for a laugh....or mebbe NOT
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

PCZ, it's not just a number project. Everytime a prime is discovered it can better help to understand number theory and how primes work. High level math stuff that I don't yet understand because I haven't gotten to those math classes yet.

Better understanding on the way numbers work and that means more efficient equations/algorithms. This (I believe) can help with encryption, security, etc etc. Though Riesel Sieve is just trying to find primes, they are helping the overall math community.

-Jeff
    Distributed Hold'em

Blog Entries
    Shish said

???? This is getting boring....might have to go over to the Cows for a laugh....or mebbe NOT
    No do not do it Shish Or you will end up looking like this

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Originally posted by PCZ
    CM

Why should we commit resources to RS ?
    It is a maths project which serves what purpose exactly ?
    Answer in here.
    Check last point.

Have a nice day,

Carlos

Ha Ha......
    Actually Laurenu2, the black around the eyes is very appropriate today as I managed to fall in a trench at the new house site last night (pitch black) and my glasses bust my nose and left me with a couple shiners and a bruise (developing nicely in glorious technicolour) across my forehead and down the left cheek.
    Head first apparently saved the more important parts of my body

Looks like the site for the house is going to be chea[er than we thought as only the top 6ft has to come off and we can save the original services which is normally a big expense.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if I'd asked before, but where is the site Shish? Perhaps I'll know the area..

Bok

lost in space. Hey who took my bread crumbs. Now I cant find my way home.
    Originally posted by LAURENU2
    Shish said

No do not do it Shish Or you will end up looking like this

No not the cows. I'll never be able to eat a steak again.
    If you have to leave come join me at TR.
    grandmother. ver 3.0

BOK.
    Sorry to the other guys about the off topic here.

It`s called High Lanes and it`s just below the top of Sherrif Hill and the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Mine`s the only site left there as a builder bought most of the land years ago and there are now some very expensive houses up there.
    The view north out over the Tyne Valley is tremendous and there is nothing in front or to the east or west to block my view and we`re not far below the top of Gateshead at the rear so it`s pretty high up.
    It was originally a very small gas processing and storage site but has been disused for many years.
    Means I`m gonna have a heavy duty driveway of concrete about 4ft thick and a super basement which I`ve always wanted as we`re incorporating some of the heavy duty industrial bits into the house and features.
    Site is around 0.4 of an acre and I`m gonna put 3 houses on it for which we`ve got outline permission and a grant due to it being "brownfield".
    Should make a good profit as well as give me the house I want and the geo energy and other stuff will be an extra service for the three houses.
    One guy bought the only old Victorian house up there for £80,000 4 years ago and spent £150,000 on a refurb and the house went last month for £610,000.
    I expect one house to pay for all three leaving one for me and one profit based on the costings I have now and an interim mortgage property estimate.

Hi DG.
    Just had a ribsteak tonite dripping in pepper and red wine sauce
    But now I`m out on the town for the night after getting time out for good behaviour....or bad, whatever your viewpoint is..... so I`m out of my
    Last edited by Shish; 11-20-2005 at 01:27 AM.