Thread: Taskinfo

Taskinfo

Hi!
    Don't often post to the site, but I'd like to know if anybody uses the above prog....(TASKINFO)
    I set it to run 'realtime'for 'tradjlite' trying to use the system to get out of it was ...errr.....sllllloooooooowwwwww...hourglass..
    pertinent q. is does it increaSE OUTPUT?
    P.s. nice thankyou to Jeff (Geoff?) The Canadian guy thats done the benchmarking..
    being a novice it took me 1 hour to drag and drop it into the directory...when your 44 it gets a bit dodgy..
    Anyone remember the VAX.VMS??????
    I remember using it in 1976 in chem...for X-ray diffraction in crstal structure..
    U kiddies 'ave it good..
    ENJOY!
    Fold On...

taskinfo works, but this is easier...

Changing the priority of the client
    -----------------------------------
    You can change the default priority of the client by modifying the foldit
    script as described above for quiet mode and increasing the buffer size.
    Simply add the switch '-p ##' where ## is the desired priority. This can
    range from -20 (extremely aggressive; will pre-empt most other tasks) to
    the default of 20 (very passive, only runs when the CPU is idle).
    [-20, 20] is used On Windows and mapped accordingly. Use 15 for Low, 0
    for Normal and -15 for High. Other values will more finely tune the
    priority further.
    you can find it in the readme file...

also, I would say that in general, changing the priority will only increase work on a machine that is not otherwise idle (ie, being used) and thus is directly proportional to the frustration you will feel as a user of the machine...

however, another fine use for taskinfo is to monitor the % CPU utilization... on the machine I use (as opposed to one of my farm animals), the CPU %utilization hovers around 90-95% for df when otherwise idle, even at the default priority... even on a farm animal, I don't think you get much more (because the machine is otherwise idle), but I do set them to a priority of -15 anyway...

but realtime???
    cover me... I'm going in...

Thanks for that 1Fast6....
    yeh...running 'Realtime' seems to slow everthing up...I don't think there's any advantage using this setting above either high, or even idle priorities in the settings...I notice foldtraj utilises 100% cpu clock cycles anyway....mmmmmm..
    All The Best,
    Ian

GoldenBall: The client is designed to run very nicely at the default IDLE setting, otherwise is slows down the rest of your machine when you are trying to work. The only time setting it above helps is if you have lots of other programs running in the background or screensaver active when you are not at the computer.

BTW, I am that Canadian Jeff guy and I will be adding the priority setting to the next version of dfUI so it is easy for anyone to set.

Jeff.

I recently set all of my farm (under linux) to max priority. I originally had the standard linux cron jobs running once a day - and I think setting it to top priority would have helped out there. Since I've shot all my crons anyway, it's made very little difference. YMMV

I have a PDP-8, PDP-11/24 and a Vax 11/780 out in the garage along with a few microvaxxen. Remember them all to well. But how about the Perkin Elmer and Chromemco? The Dynabyte and the Thinkertoy?

*pokes around in the garage looking for old timex/sinclair zx-81 (with optional 16kb rampack and cassette drive)...*

*thinks to self "damn, the ex- musta got it in the divorce settlement"*

*thinks to self, again "probably a good thing, afterall"*

cover me... I'm going in...