Thread: Project for Intel Pentium M 740?

Project for Intel Pentium M 740?

Hi all!

I'll get a new laptop, Sony Vaio, in few days and I need a project for it to crunch. I'm currently running Riesel LLR on my desktop computer, but I've heard the mobile pentiums aren't that great in prime hunting..

Here's the Sony web page with specs.

So, could you recommend a DC project in which this machine would be at its best? Would be nice if the client had automatic pause/resume function when running on battery, but it's not absolutely required!

Any suggestions are welcome!

-S

Blog Entries
    distributed.net OGR would perform nice on this machine...
    1.73 GHz, so that would be about 20 MNodes/s

and the distributed.net client has a pause/resume running on battery feature!

but I don't know much about the clients of other projects...
    the-mk

I just wanted to say, welcome to Free-DC!

I have a couple of Pentium M laptops and Rosetta@Home works very well with that. They kill my P4 1.8GHz machines in performance.

Thank you for the recommendations!

Rosetta seems to be very interesting project. I'll benchmark the machine in Riesel LLR and if it's too slow as I suspect, I'll probably start crunching Rosetta with it.. Feel free to recommend other projects too if you have something in mind!

Do you know if Boinc client has the automatic pause feature for battery operation?

-S

Quote Originally Posted by S07197
    Do you know if Boinc client has the automatic pause feature for battery operation?
    It does. With BOINC, you set your client preferences on the Rosetta website telling it if you want the client to stop when it goes on battery or not.

Yeah, if you run Rosetta (big cache on those P Ms) remember to set up your prefs, particularly for how much work you want to store.
    Great and very worthwhile project, many wouldn`t bother coming to user forums to talk to people like David has (see other thread on his chat with us).
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat