Thread: Looking for project

Looking for project

I have 4 boxes available (maybe even more) and I'm not quite sure what I would like to crunch. Is there any particular project where my small contribution to Free DC is needed? If I find it interesting I could even put 6-7 boxes.

Hope to have some fun.

Edo
    =@=

The easiest Targets would be EON or DPAD/Muon.

Eon ha a little trouble with the workunits today, so lots of unused cycles in between. This is not the normal behaviour of the project though. We could use some more boxen to keep 2st place.

DPAD has no worunit trouvle because it produces them itself. Only problem: it is Windows only. With some more firepower we could gain a few places to reach the top . Have a look in the subforums to read more about the two projects!

Hope that helps

Thor

Well edor I'd suggest you may want to post what kinds of systems you have available. There are many DC projects but some are better than others on certain processors.

If you have AMDs and you are interested in math projects, you'd want to look to do the sieving side of them. Sieving generally is a little more intesive for the project runner. You can't just set it and forget it (©Ronco). You can always look into a broad range of BOINC projects. For this you'd have to download the platform (BOINC) then download the specific project you want from that project's website to run on the BOINC platform.

If you have Intels and are interested in math projects you'd want to do what is generally called the PRPing side which is a set it and forget it (©Ronco) kind of deal. Somewhere on the Free-DC forums should be a link to projects that are optimized for certain processors.

Take a look at the website www.distributedcomputing.info and click the link at the top that says "Active Projects". This will show you what all is available to crunch. Once you've decided what you'd like to crunch you can goto that project's specific forum located here @ Free-DC and one of the current crunchers there would be more than happy to get you set up and running.

Thanks,
    -Jeff
    Distributed Hold'em

Thanks for suggestions. All I have are Intels, from 1.6 to 2.6. Will check the one Thor suggested and will look for PRP related projects.

Thanks.
    Edo
    =@=

While you are in the frame of mind, I could use some advice as well. I was a seti geek, until it ended. My farm isn't (easily) boinc-capable, so I'm wondering what to do next.

My preferences: 1) minimum hands on, preferably should be managed remotely. Sends and receives without me having to tell it to. I just make sure it's still going from time to time.

2) Small linux client. The majority of my farm boots off floppies. I get a compact distro with about 350k left for the client on a 2.88mb floppy. I've read and re-read the threads about net boot and tftp and if I can avoid it I'd rather not invest in that steep of a learning curve. If I can help it.

I've looked a little at eon but no linux client; reisel sieve, the llrnet part, I don't think will work with my farm. Any ideas?

Seventeen or Bust has a nice little (549KB) linux client. It is very much a set it and forget it kind of deal. You should be able to boot it from floppy and have it go from there. :-D

-Jeff
    Distributed Hold'em

Aye-aye, Captain. I'll give it a try in windoze first, see how it is. I may have to build a smaller boot distro for a floppy (or figure out tftp) to do it on the rest of my farm.

Take a look http://eon.cm.utexas.edu/download.php
    EON has a Linux client and with with 305kb tared it should be within your target.

The only problem is that right now you are able to get any wu's (at least I won't get any)

Nonetheless, it is a easy to install project, which never made any problems up to no besides the the trouble getting work...

We shure could use some more firepower to stay ahead of everyone!

Greets Thor

Thanks, Thor. I got SOB up running easily.

Maybe this weekend I'll see about setting eon up on a floppy. Can I use your login to crunch under? You can send me a private message if you want.

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Quote Originally Posted by tim
    Maybe this weekend I'll see about setting eon up on a floppy. Can I use your login to crunch under? You can send me a private message if you want.
    If you want you can use Free-DC Gauntleteers email:

freedc@open-dc.org

Carlos