Thread: Opteron 165 v X2 4400+

Opteron 165 v X2 4400+

So what are the for's and against for these processors? I know the opteron is overclockable and a little cheaper ( although AMD are putting up the prices next week (over here in the UK ))

As far as i can tell

the opteron is the one to go for if you can get it.

I'd never buy an X2 4400 as you can get pretty much the same power off the 3800 overclocked.
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    The opteron's I believe use a little more power, but it's probably negligible. I would stick with opterons if you can get them.

Bok

www.amdusers.com
    So its decided then ... the Opteron 165 is the processor to go for. What motherboard gives it the most potential for overclocking?

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/...lt/page19.html

Everything you wanted to know about power consumption

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    There are a few. The Asus ones IMO are pretty good. But I've been told a lot about these

I know Jeff has an opty 165 at 2.65 or so on one of these. Considering the price and the fact it has on board video too.... can't be beat. I think it needs a bios upgrade to recognize the opty, but thats not a big deal..

I'm ashamed to say, that I have one, but I've not opened the box, since I got it at least 4 weeks ago. I REALLY need to swap out one of the other boards I'm using....as I promised my friend I would send that one to him alongwith the PCIe card in it - Bruce if you read this. I will do this on monday if it kills me!

Bok

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronBits
    http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/...lt/page19.html

Everything you wanted to know about power consumption
    It did not say how to pay for power consumption

Must admit to never getting the 4400 because of the price but one advantage it has is a higher multiplier as you can go down in multi but not up except on FXs.
    That`s what I`m running into now as my memory needs more volts than default range supplies (ie only goes to 2.8v instead of required 3.1v for max memory speed). The higher stock multi would allow for a drop in multi to use very fast memory or allow me to get past the 280 barrier I`m now at.
    However, I`m happy that my 165 has more cache than the equivalent priced x2 3800 and easily sits at 2.560Ghz on default volts and will go higher if I push it or add watercooling to cope with heat off higher volts.
    I`ll be disappointed if they push the price in UK up much but supplies here are already hard to get due to demand from oems and server manufacturers and I want at least 2 more soon or maybe the 170 for it`s higher multi.
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat