Thread: How smart do you think a computer would have to be to do simple research?

How smart do you think a computer would have to be to do simple research?

How smart would a computer have to be to search the text of pages and answer "simple," moderately complex," and "complex" questions.

If you wanted to, for instance, know the date George Washington was born, how far away do you think computers are from being able to answer that question?

Alternately, what if you were in Arkansas shopping for DVD-RWs, and instead of getting reviews of the top 20, 30, or 50 stores, you gave some criteria and told the computer you wanted the cheapest price for 200 DVD-RWs,anywhere in the United States and Canada, you wanted a minimum of 5 reviews, if the reviews were under a certain amount you wanted the rating to be above a certain point, etc. ad infinitum. How far away do you think we're away from that, or do we already have the possibility of that and nobody's implemented it because they can't find the right incentive?

I guess it should be split up in at least two categories, shopping and cataloged information, and general questions, which are probably much harder.

I believe that`s what Google and other search engines already do.
    The computer is just a means of running the software and it`s the software that`s "smart" though they do have some fairly powerful beasts and a lot of them.
    The ultimate goal of the software is to be able to catalogue and make available all data and to offer constructive answers to a question.
    Unless of course you are talking about AI which is still a long way from being a reality.
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

Blog Entries
    AI there working on it The ARMY already has self driving troop carriers that can drive over unknown terrain change routs when blocked and will not stop until it get to where it was commanded to go next up is the terminator model

What happened on the X the desert thing though?
    The challenge was set up by your defense research people (DARPA?) if I remember rightly with a big prize for the first to complete and the first year saw a very poor result. The second one was somewhat better but still not what you`d call working AI, more like self directing robots.
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shish
    What happened on the X the desert thing though?
    The challenge was set up by your defense research people (DARPA?) if I remember rightly with a big prize for the first to complete and the first year saw a very poor result. The second one was somewhat better but still not what you`d call working AI, more like self directing robots.
    Now wait a min I saw a working model on TV just the other day it was called the terminator model and kinda looked like the mayor of LA And what about HAL 2000

"Open the pod bay doors, Hal."

"I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

robot motorcycle?

Somewhere I saw a video of a robot motorcycle some team was testing for that desert challenge - very strange.