Thread: Thinking about networking computer to TV.

Thinking about networking computer to TV.

I'm so ignorant on this specific topic, I'm not even sure WHERE I'm ignorant.
    Basically, I want to record stuff on my Tivo, have it transferred to my computer. My computer will convert it to avi(to save space, but severely impacting my DC efforts) and store it on my hard drive for me to get at later, hopefully with a remote control.

I'm not sure where to start on this. For instance, since my computer won't actually be doing any recording, do I still need a TV card? And when should I concern myself with a remote control?

Btw, one of the main reasons I'm coming to you guys is that in order to do research on the Internet you need to know the terms to search for, and the best I can do right now is "personal video recorder" and "pvr."

Even if you just send me on my way with some good search terms, you've done me a favor.

Edit: Possibly stupid question. If I start archiving with Windows into AVI, will the Linux box I intend to build in about 2-3 months be able to understand the files? (If it's simply a matter of downloading a program or installing a codec to Linux, the answer's "yes.")
    Last edited by jasong; 04-12-2006 at 05:52 PM.

all you will need is an AVI player in Linux.

Search terms that turned up some promising looking results for me:

Transfer TiVo to Computer
    TiVo to PC
    Network TiVo to Computer
    Distributed Hold'em

Tivo desktop will sorta do what you want... dont know that you can covert the video to another format though.... believe it's DRM'd...

check out the tivo forum's... lotsa info over there (www.tivocommunity.com)

Thanks,
    Ryan

There's a tool out there that converts Tivo files to mpg...and sort-of gets rid of that DRM stuff too There's some sort of automation involved too.

It's a great tool, but isn't developed anymore. I haven't really tested it myself, but have a look for yourself here:
    http://www.thegreenbutton.com/commun...essageID=98810

Download it in this forum:
    http://www.mce-community.de/forum/in...&f=134&t=12547

Sorry I can't give you more details, but it should give you another good puzzle piece in your quest.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by sTs950
    Tivo desktop will sorta do what you want... dont know that you can covert the video to another format though.... believe it's DRM'd...

check out the tivo forum's... lotsa info over there (www.tivocommunity.com)

Thanks,
    Ryan
    I've already converted 'em all to avi. Every time you start a run, a warning about the evils of copyright infringement pops up, but if you click "ok" it starts doing it's thing.