Thread: D2OL - Phase II

D2OL - Phase II

From Adam Hughes in D2OL forum:

"I want to give you a brief rundown of what should happen during the switchover tomorrow:

By 8AM EDT, I will gather and archive the final statistics from Phase I for the purpose of creating the Hall of Fame (which won't appear for a few days). After that I will take the project servers down, and then Charles will switch to the new NAS. Finally, I'll bring the servers back up and we should be back in business. I'll make an announcement when everything is running again, which I expect to be before 10AM.

Initially, I'll put the queue size at 100, just in case something goes wrong. I don't want to hand out thousands of bad data points to you all. When things look OK, I'll bump it back up to the full 2000.

Thanks for your efforts during Phase I and your enthusiasm for Phase II.

Adam"

Be sure to dump anything you have before then

New candidates can now be downloaded - Avian Flu H5N1.

Don't forget to flush old tasks first (they won't be counted)

Free-DC is #1
    I'm top producer and top (only) result found

OK, for at least the next couple of minutes

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries
    I just took a screen-shot of you being the only one doing the project... I was going to post it here as a joke but you already saw it.

How does it feel to have the privilage of doing 100% of a projects total work?

Quote Originally Posted by ronbo54

I'm top producer and top (only) result found

Congrats.

Ronbo, how is this project holding up?

Have they created a new client yet and published anything yet?

Well they finally hired a programmer/computational chemist around the first of the year, then suffered a series of equipment failures which killed the stats server and now has killed the member services server (node ID’s, user and member registration). They bought a new NAS and are now fixing the SQL server for member services. So they have put some new cash into it.

Phase II started a couple weeks ago, but progress has been delayed due to the new set of problems. They (hopefully) fixed the cheat problem by assigning unique ID’s to the tasks. New Avian Flu target is the only thing being given out right now and is being checked against 2 new libraries. They are also looking at new forum software.
    No published articles have been announced yet. Sounds like client changes will be ongoing (after member services problem is fixed)

Anyone deciding to start this again will need to flush all old tasks and download new. Old tasks will not count. Until the member services problem is fixed you can’t add nodes or new users.

Thanks for the heads up ronbo.

Member services has now been restored

Anyone who added nodes after Jan 24 will need to add them again (may need to reinstall - see D2OL forum)
    Last edited by ronbo54; 04-19-2006 at 10:32 AM.

so is d2ol back to what it was PRE NAS crash?

same client same gui same everything? or is there something else.. after we (XS) are doing whomping the cows in R@H i'll be heading back to d2ol. just wanna make sure i can transition smoothly

Same client, you just need to stop it, flush old tasks (they won't count), and download new tasks. Only Bird Flu right now running against two new libraries. They hopefully fixed the cheat on it.

Does this project support more than one processor?

It has been a while since I ran it, but I believe it does. I can't remember if it automatically detects and uses multiple CPUs or if you have to install multiple-clients.

Well it didn't auto-detect both procs when I gave it a quick try, thus the question.
    If you have to install multiple clients, that would imply it doesn't.

I looked at the procs, hoping for the best, in that it would use both to work on one WU, thus giving faster completion times, but alas, it showed cpu useage at 50% and affinity set to using both processors by default.

You have to install it again in a different folder (SengentD2OL and SengentD2OL2 or something like that). It will download it's own work to each client so they don't work together. An HT will run 2 clients with a greater output than if HT was turned off. Right now it is limited to 100 units, but should go back to 2000 when they get things totally fixed again

Welcome back!