Thread: Water cooling

Water cooling

Are there any hard core water cooling users here? Any make your own stuff? How about making a unit to take care of multiple compters.... ????? Thoughts/comments?

Never went down that road. There are many to choose from these days.
    If you are serious, I would hit google and do some research and read the reviews.
    Let us know how it works out for you.

Not hard core but I did build a system at the last house out of household bits and a mix of Swiftech HSs and several experimental (plumbers nightmare ) setups.
    Household pump (very high pressure and a 40ft head) to a manifold feeding 10mm standard copper to 4 computers and a pair of transmision cooler rads.
    Ended up with no fans and got rid of heat by putting rads in a cistern (WC tank) and feeding mains water in a variable trickle straight through. Mains water here is high pressure and quite cold and a constant temp so heat exchange worked quite well. Also tried a car rad on the wall outside with a waterproof car rad fan on it and shield but sunlight played havoc with it cos it was on a south facing wall.
    Plumbers nightmare is an apt description but it worked and was made from standard plumbing plus various adapters and sizing fittings.
    Very noisy, inflexible and not recommended when there are so many full kits on the market nowadays. Mind you still can`t buy a bong although you could use the type of AC units fitted in caravans and mobile homes which use water evap units for cooling which is similar principle to a bong.
    I`ve just got a Gigabyte case (which stupid designer wants to put 5 hot sata drives in front of the intake fan?)( drives are moving to upper 5.25 CD slots tomorrow when my Arctic Freezer 5 drive rack unit arrives) and I`ve got a very cheap (£75 UK) Gigabyte cpu water cooler kit with a single 120mm rad to go in next which has proved more than effective enough. Only problem is the heatpipe cooling on the Asus board but the water heatsink for the cpu has a small fan on top to help that out and the 2x120mm 1000rpm Gigabyte fans at the rear will handle any surplus heat more or less silently. That plus the Asus Q fan control should have it as near silent as makes no never mind and a lot cheaper than most of the kits on the market. Vid card is a single PCI-E Sapphire 850 XT master card and next purchase is a mate for it but it won`t run as a pair cos it`s ATI but it also has an Arctic Cooler exhaust and heatsink which is quiet and gets all the hot air out of a slot in the pci next the card. Still fiddling with fans though as 120mms in front of a filter tend to be a bit choosy and you may need to mix and match for both good circulation of air if you`re only cooling the cpu and a balance of noise versus necessity.

Still experimenting with this one but I`m at 1500rpm for the front fan (max) and running on the Q fan control it`s about 1300rpm for the lowest temps on the control which is 51C. So I`ve got 2 rear running a max of 1000rpm and the cpu fan a max of 1500rpm (2000rpm Golf ball fan doesn`t make any difference, anything above the output of the 1500rpm is wasted) and actual 1280rpm for a balanced 50C/51C across the 2 temps which are cpu and heatpipe covering the N Bridge and fets. Quiet enough but quieter still when I get the water cooling fully installed. Gotta get used to these heatpipe temps including the fets cooling which makes the temps look silly but that`s the way it works. Fans are way below their max setting therefor fairly quiet and water should get things even quieter. Maybe have to invest in some of the new Panasonic fans though cos they are whisper quiet ......
    Anyway, plumbers nightmare is not for the nervous and can be effective but noisy and any mistake can be very costly. Stick with the kits from the big boys like Swiftech etc and you`ll get all the benefits and none of the sleepless nights ....
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

Quote Originally Posted by Shish
    Mind you still can`t buy a bong although you could use the type of AC units fitted in caravans and mobile homes which use water evap units for cooling which is similar principle to a bong.
    Are you saying it's possible to use a bong to cool a cpu? I've never seen a bong, so I don't know.

I'd be interested in seeing the reaction of a policeman who gets a warrant to search your house and discovers, say, 5 bongs, all attached to cpus.

Do a search on HardOCP forums....sorry can`t stop just now, catch you later.
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat

Quote Originally Posted by Shish
    Do a search on HardOCP forums....sorry can`t stop just now, catch you later.
    I googled "bong cpu". The page I went to didn't use an actual bong, just borrowed the concept.

My job is giving me some extra spending money, and since Arkansas laws regarding my disability check make it an unnecessarily giant leap from dependence to self-sufficience, I have no inclination whatsoever to save up money.(I think I'm going to start a topic on this to see how I fare compared to other states.)