Thread: P-1 coordination thread - discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Dettweiler View Post
    I would think that even if the number has been tested once, a factor for that number can still save us from having to do the secondpass test.
    That's right. Yet, it will happen only in a few years, and by that time, there is a good chance that a prime will be found or that sieving would have found that factor. And then, P-1 is not superfast. By the time it takes to find this factor, one could have done this one LLR test; but not two.

So, if one would want to look for factors of Doublecheck numbers, one would do that right before doublecheck hits them, and then again, one would not do it at all, because you are better off with LLR directly.

I hope I look not too wise-assed now... H.

Does mprime have to do the second pass tests as well, because on this machine I have it running for a while, but I didn't change the memory setting, so it doesn't do second pass tests. How bad is that?
    On my other machine, I actually opted for a range that seems to be passed by PRP. But then it will be finished by now, so I will send the results in this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by balachmar View Post
    Does mprime have to do the second pass tests as well, because on this machine I have it running for a while, but I didn't change the memory setting, so it doesn't do second pass tests. How bad is that?
    On my other machine, I actually opted for a range that seems to be passed by PRP. But then it will be finished by now, so I will send the results in this evening.
    Stage2 is needed to find factors. In your mprime directory, look for a bunch of files called (one letter)(long number), I hope you get what I mean. it could be something like
    z5123875 or
    f1329834

if they are there, you probably can just put in the stuff for worktodo.txt again, change your memory settings, and it will start to do all the stage2 for the tests. If that fails, it is proably better to drop that range and to do another one with larger memory settings, rather than redoing all the stage 1 work.

H.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I know what you mean with the files.
    I will copy the lot to another machine, since this machine is doing some other work at the moment. I hope that the other machine will be able to finish it. OK, I first tried to get it to run on this machine and that works.
    So I will complete it normally.

I'll post here not to trash the other thread, but my range resulted in one factor, not two!
    14920000 14921000 balachmar 1 [complete]

Quote Originally Posted by balachmar View Post
    I'll post here not to trash the other thread, but my range resulted in one factor, not two!
    14920000 14921000 balachmar 1 [complete]
    I can not see the factor in the stats. Is the factor big? Then post it here.

I had posted that I had 2 factors in the range 15060000 15070000. Maybe it should of only really been 1. The factor 8058533177897161|24737*2^14910223+1 I turned in was new and saved to the data base, but I see today I did not show up in my stats. I looked in the stats for everyone and saw:

5189.734T 21181 15307772 3800310.858 Sat 12-Jul-2008 Mon 21-Jul-2008 35.000 PrimeGrid

Mine was found after the one PrimeGrid had found so it didn't really count for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joh14vers6 View Post
    I can not see the factor in the stats. Is the factor big? Then post it here.
    Too bad I only read this now. I don't think I have the values of the factor anymore...
    And as far as I know the submission page accepted the factor...
    mm strange...
    Anyway, I'm getting a bit fed up with P-1 did a few like 40 lines of work and still no result... (As in points for the team and tests saved...)