Thread: Processors

Processors

Well Iron bits directed me here. Cheers! If you had the choice, what procs are the best for SOB? For single core would you go Northwood Prescott, or Gallatin?
    riptide

Get a Core 2 Duo. If you have to wait a few weeks it will be worth it.

This is very true however the 939-pin x2 have been seriously cut in price almost half.

He said single core, and I think Prescott. Not taking into consideration electrical consumption and heat.

Quote Originally Posted by prime95
    Get a Core 2 Duo. If you have to wait a few weeks it will be worth it.
    Core 2 DUo!!!!!! Hey, Bok and others have said a Conroe do on SOB same as what a netburts does........ AT THE SAME SPEED IN GHZ!

I'd love too see a prescott & northwood match on this. My 3.4 Northwood @ 3.5 will get 43xxxxxxx after 24 hours rate catching! Wanna see what cache and memoery timings have in store for this.

I don't think that Conroe is the same as Core 2 Duo.
    Besides, Prime95 is George Woltman, the author of Prime95 and the underlying software that drives the SB client. His opinion should not be taken lightly.
    Joe O

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O
    I don't think that Conroe is the same as Core 2 Duo.
    Besides, Prime95 is George Woltman, the author of Prime95 and the underlying software that drives the SB client. His opinion should not be taken lightly.
    Joe, take a look at these threads here and tell me what'cha think. You agree or disagree? http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=104625 and this one http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=106879 and this one http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=107098
    I'm just trying to get a few things together in my head to help me on buying decisions in the future

EDIT: Joe, Conroe is Core 2 Duo. http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2795Theres also Kentfield (4 core). And Woodcrest. Not out yet officially!

I'm sorry, I didn't read the original post carefully.

For single core, get an AMD chip if you are sieving. Get a Pentium 4 based chip if you are running the SoB client (Northwood vs. Prescott doesn't matter much). The faster the chip, the better (L2 cache size is not critical as long as its at least 512KB). Avoid Pentium M and Core (as opposed to Core 2) chips. If you do both SoB and gaming or other CPU bound task you have a dilemma, AMD chips are generally faster at most other tasks whereas SoB prefers the Pentium 4 Netburst architecture.

On the digression I started, Core 2 has two FPUs! A 2.4 GHz Core 2 outperforms a 3.8 GHz P4. See http://mersenne.org/bench.htm

Oh, and no matter what you decide make sure last week's steep price cuts are reflected in the chip or system you purchase!!!

I'm sorry, I didn't read the original post carefully.

For single core, get an AMD chip if you are sieving. Get a Pentium 4 based chip if you are running the SoB client (Northwood vs. Prescott doesn't matter much). The faster the chip, the better (L2 cache size is not critical as long as its at least 512KB). Avoid Pentium M and Core (as opposed to Core 2) chips. If you do both SoB and gaming or other CPU bound task you have a dilemma, AMD chips are generally faster at most other tasks whereas SoB prefers the Pentium 4 Netburst architecture.

On the digression I started, Core 2 has two FPUs! A 2.4 GHz Core 2 outperforms a 3.8 GHz P4. See http://mersenne.org/bench.htm

Oh, and no matter what you decide make sure last week's steep price cuts are reflected in the chip or system you purchase!!!
    IN Mr. Burns voice - "EXCELLENT!!!!!!". Thanks prime!
    Crunch on
    Riptide

...On the digression I started, Core 2 has two FPUs! A 2.4 GHz Core 2 outperforms a 3.8 GHz P4. See http://mersenne.org/bench.htm...
    That link didn't work for me...

Quote Originally Posted by umccullough
    That link didn't work for me...
    Me neither. Was thinking that maybe its temporarily down!

Yep, definitely down.(I tried mersenne.org, btw)

Quote Originally Posted by IronBits
    He said single core, and I think Prescott. Not taking into consideration electrical consumption and heat.
    Very true but he did ask for a suggestion. Alot of people think single core for several reasons, least of which is price and performance per core. There was quite a premium for a dual core which wasn't as fast on most apps as the best single core CPU.

If one is thinking about heat and electrical eff% there are other places to cut back and consider. A nice video card is a hugh thermal heater and power hungry. I don't think ddr2 consumes that much less than ddr when considering the computers as a whole.

Anyways the new intels look great and personally I wouldn't buy another high-end chip that was single core. To counter this AMD cut pricing pretty serious.

Quote Originally Posted by vjs
    Very true but he did ask for a suggestion. Alot of people think single core for several reasons, least of which is price and performance per core. There was quite a premium for a dual core which wasn't as fast on most apps as the best single core CPU.

If one is thinking about heat and electrical eff% there are other places to cut back and consider. A nice video card is a hugh thermal heater and power hungry. I don't think ddr2 consumes that much less than ddr when considering the computers as a whole.

Anyways the new intels look great and personally I wouldn't buy another high-end chip that was single core. To counter this AMD cut pricing pretty serious.
    Certinly! Sometimes its always good to watch those garden lights left on or hall lights left on too. Can always make the saving somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by riptide
    Joe, take a look at these threads here and tell me what'cha think. You agree or disagree? http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=104625 and this one http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=106879 and this one http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=107098
    I'm just trying to get a few things together in my head to help me on buying decisions in the future

EDIT: Joe, Conroe is Core 2 Duo. http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2795Theres also Kentfield (4 core). And Woodcrest. Not out yet officially!
    In my experience the Northwood core, clock for clock, gives the best performance on SB PRP and GIMPS Prime95. This is closely followed by the Prescott. I don't know about the Core 2, but the Core does not compete. I also have reservations about the current Core 2 offerings. I had higher expectations. Maybe the next stepping, or a BIOS revision?
    Also, in my experience, the software can be tuned for a specific processor. I took GW's post to mean that he was/is planning to tune his code to Core 2.
    If you are planning to only run SB PRP then this is the end of my post.

If you want to run other software as well, then I would take a look at the Opteron 252 (?) or the Socket 939 Athlon's, or even the AM2 Athlon's. These provide very good performance on a range of software. Beware of the 256K cache on some Athlon's. 512K is really needed. For untuned software, these perform better. Again, from my experience, it is possible to tune software for these processors that will really fly. The free or low cost compilers do not really do AMDs justice. You have to get one of the high price optimizing compilers, or hand tune assembler which is tedious. If I could give AMD any advice, it would be to provide a free compiler that would make their processors shine.
    Last edited by Joe O; 08-01-2006 at 05:21 PM.
    Joe O

Just to clear things up, Core 2 Duo is definately the CPU to get. I decided to run SoB on one of the cores, just to see how it would do after reading Prime95's post about it having 2 FPUs. RAM is at DDR2-1000 4-4-4-10. Results...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ConroeSoB.PNG 
Views:	117 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	965  

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Wow!

That is much more impressive than the results I was shown over on the XtremeSystems site a while back. At the time the results were basically consistent with a similarly clocked P4..

Maybe I will get one after all...

Bok

Yeah, I'm not terribly sure exactly what those numbers even were back then, because the attached picture has since gone dead, but something must have been a bit off.

I would guess that SoB has since been optimized for C2D, but I'm using the same client version that I've have on my 2.8 P4 latop for the past three months, 2.5.0, so that's ruled out.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    They were at about 3.3M IIRC.

Bok

Quote Originally Posted by DragonOrta
    Just to clear things up, Core 2 Duo is definately the CPU to get. I decided to run SoB on one of the cores, just to see how it would do after reading Prime95's post about it having 2 FPUs. RAM is at DDR2-1000 4-4-4-10. Results...
    These are much more in line with what I was expecting from Core 2. Which mainboard and what BIOS?
    Joe O

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O
    These are much more in line with what I was expecting from Core 2. Which mainboard and what BIOS?
    ASUS P5W DH Deluxe w/ 0602 bios.

Yes Bok, I think its safe to say that a few of us were confused and misled by the Conroe results that were originally posted. Thats why i was always looking for more results to build up a bigger picture. I reckon that a Conroe (2.4Ghz) at stock is broadly similar to a Northwood / Netburst at 3.75, like the 3.73EE at stock. However where the Conroe pulls away is that it can be overclocked a lot further than your northwood et al. Like to see a EE at 5gig! And also don't forget the Conroe has 2 cores also!

My guess is that Conroe will do about 2mil per ghz. At 3.4ghz, I'm getting just over 6.8mil.