Thread: Boinc sieving

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Boinc sieving

Are there plans for the foresee-able future to migrater the sieve // PRP to the BOINC platform?

Over @ http://boinc.rieselsieve.com we are getting very good Sieve results (almost 10K factors found in a month!).

For Sob sieving I am getting speeds aound 300/301 kps with a Pentium 4!

IMHO, I think it is easy to setup a similiar system for Sob. Only the dat has to be replaced ?

My $0.02

Grtz
    C.

We found already 12.000 factors in 21 days.

I love 67607
    This was discussed way (two years) before, and the intention was not to migrate. This discussion was for PRP though.

On the other hand, I agree that there is a nice resource (of users) over there, which we might (should?) make use of... either this way, or the other.

From a quick calculation, Riesel sieve is sieving about 1T per day, which is far from being bad (consider the .dat size!). On the other hand, the forum got more traffic in one month in the BOINC-bug-section bugs than in a year for the whole project.

Are there other ways to get sieve rates of this dimension? SoB has so many users with that much machines who only want to run an out of the box thingy and just are too lazy to sieve. So, I think a small sieve wrapper would do the affair; the ultimate solution would be Version3, of course. No idea about the progress there.

I vote for letting enjoy Riesel sieve the factors they get for the moment; in a month or two, we will see how it works out; and maybe there will be a wrapper one day that helps sieving as well as Boinc does, or even better.

Anyways, I felt like Rieselsieve always had a different policy regarding communication and accessibility of the results, and this BOINC thing seems to go in the same direction.

H.

We are using JJSieve as client program for boinc and it is very solid!

@ Nuri

Did not know this.
    I didn't want to resurrect an old thread.

@ HHH:

[quote]
    On the other hand, the forum got more traffic in one month in the BOINC-bug-section bugs than in a year for the whole project
    [/qoute]

This is true but we got a stable, BETA worthy version for the moment. (version 5.26).
    Boinc & the riesel client are very stable (at the moment).

and maybe there will be a wrapper one day that helps sieving as well as Boinc does, or even better.
    Sorry I do not understand this.

Anyways, I felt like Rieselsieve always had a different policy regarding communication and accessibility of the results, and this BOINC thing seems to go in the same direction.
    Jump over to Stats.rieselsieve.com ... you will see the results.
    BTW, the stats & boinc thing is almost a one man operation, done by Bryan.

I love 67607
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricvonck
    Did not know this.
    I didn't want to resurrect an old thread.
    May be its worth rethinking of that option a bit. It has been two years and people might have changed their views, who knows.

Having said that, I feel like we're way way way ahead at sieving (relatively to PRP of course) and if we were going to get a significant resource like this, it would make sense to do PRP instead of sieving.