Thread: Playstation 3 as a cruncher. Possible problems.

Playstation 3 as a cruncher. Possible problems.

I've been thinking about this whole PS3 as a cruncher thing. Supposedly, it'll be able to run a Linux distribution, but I don't know if programs would have to be made specifically for the PS3. If source code had to be compiled, how hard would it be for someone to do the needed work? One would think it would only have to be done once, for each project, and then it could be downloaded, hopefully, by other people.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? I read on pcpitstop.com that they thought it would be crazy to want to buy a PS3 just for crunching, so I guess I need to be committed, lol.

Can anyone give an educated guess as to how this would work?

Edit: I just thought of something else. It would be really nice to have a website that had all the DC projects which had compiled programs for PS3 in one place. If I had the know-how I would host one. Either that, or a website where you could find .torrent files for the stuff.

Edit2:I wonder if a BOINC for the PS3 is possible?
    Last edited by jasong; 09-06-2006 at 07:25 PM.

Let's not start running any websites for PS3 DC Projects just yet.

1. The system isn't even out yet.
    2. It's prolly gonna have to be hacked one way or another
    3. It's not out yet.
    4. It's not out yet.
    Distributed Hold'em

the ps 3 will be released with a full linux suite (an option i suppose) so you will be able to run everything you want on it and they will help people to develop stuff for the ps3.

the problem is when will it come ? november for USA and japan, 2007 for the rest of the world ...

some people are trying to put linux on the xbox 360 : the processor is a triple core at 3.2 ghz ... but microhard has put lot of challenge on the way.

ps3 with linux on it for approx £500, or a fully fledged dual core pc with no hassle for a lot less... hmm not exactly tricky.

I can see the point of groups putting in effort to create a chip/way round the 360's protection to allow other OS' to run on it, due to its price and features, but the ps3 will be too expensive when compared to the pc market.

If the same results as those seen with the xbox chipping and the running of OS' such as xbmc are achieved with the 360 then ill be the first one dusting off the soldering iron

Think I would pop this idea on a dusty shelf Jason

Quote Originally Posted by meep
    ps3 with linux on it for approx £500, or a fully fledged dual core pc with no hassle for a lot less... hmm not exactly tricky.
    The PS3 has what is called a Cell chip, so depending on what you run, it will do better or worse than a pc. It remains to be seen what it can or can't do.

I've heard it said that it will be a tremendously powerful number factorer, but a very bad LLRer or PRPer.

Anyhow, I intend to wait until at least December to see how easy or hard it is to run DC on it.

Wow, it's called a cell chip?

You mean the thing that's been written hundreds of times this year?

Oh, and is that the same cell chip that's going to be used (along with Opterons) to build the world's fatest supercomputer @ 1 petabyte per second worth of calculations?!

</sarcasm>
    Distributed Hold'em

Quote Originally Posted by meep

I can see the point of groups putting in effort to create a chip/way round the 360's protection to allow other OS' to run on it, due to its price and features, but the ps3 will be too expensive when compared to the pc market.

If the same results as those seen with the xbox chipping and the running of OS' such as xbmc are achieved with the 360 then ill be the first one dusting off the soldering iron

Think I would pop this idea on a dusty shelf Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMooseInc
    Wow, it's called a cell chip?

You mean the thing that's been written hundreds of times this year?

Oh, and is that the same cell chip that's going to be used (along with Opterons) to build the world's fatest supercomputer @ 1 petabyte per second worth of calculations?!

</sarcasm>
    According to Popular Mechanics,"Working in concert, a Cell chip can achieve processing speeds around 10 times faster than a standard pc."

Unfortunately, they don't say what they mean by a standard pc. But even if they meant a 1GHz P3, it would be nice to have 10 1GHz P3s for $500-$700. Especially since the power draw is probably a lot less.

Distributed Hold'em

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMooseInc
    I'm not sure what this means. If I offended you with my post, I apologize.

I should've put a smiley face or something, I guess.

Okay jasong, you should like this one:

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33905

Article title:
    Folding@home embraces Playstation 3

There will be a client for it.

Once I own a PS3 and the client is released I will run it until DNET or SoB or something better has been released...
    Distributed Hold'em