Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Attn: stats-mongers - old proteins

Good Choice!

There are others, but that'd be my first go-to web server for windows. (and often is)

I have a couple I've paid $50-$100 for that aren't as clean or fast.

Thanks for the link - I'll experiment on the home farm first. If it works it'll solve several problems for me in one go.

I've got plenty of 24/7 workstations at work, but I didn't want to have to (personally!) cough up for another Micro$oft server license to support the DC projects - for what they charge I could get another really fast PC.

Ni!

why do you think I run nothing but linux on my farms?!?!

Originally posted by Jodie
    why do you think I run nothing but linux on my farms?!?!
    Well dont you? I do... When I need to, I run Windows from within Linux using Win4Lin, this is an example running Win95 on the Gnome desktop see.

Thanks a lot dnar.

That program installed wonderfully (once I shut down Apache to free up port 80, it runs great).

I have been having a hell of a time getting a PHP4 module for Apache configured, hopefully this webserver will work better. I don't need to host, I just need to test php code.

Anyways, thanks, nifty little program.

Originally posted by MAD-ness

(once I shut down Apache to free up port 80, it runs great).
    LOL.

Anyways, thanks, nifty little program.
    No probss.

I just received a mail update from the Analog-X web site. They also have a small web server. I have not used it but if it's like nay of his other software, its good.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/sswww.htm

You know, we don't really need a full web server here. Just something that supports the parts of the HTTP header that the client uses.

HTTP is a very simple protocol. It would be quite easy to actually roll this 'mini' web server right into the daemon itself.

Essentially, you would install the daemon, set it up and forget about it. It could bind itself to port 80, or some other user configurable port, and wait for requests from the clients.

If Brian doesn't have the time to deal with this, it'd be pretty easy to write a small app to run alongside the daemon to handle this job. The really cool thing is that you could have this little app do things that a regular webserver wouldn't do. Such as warning you via email when it hasn't seen a particular machine within 24 hours after an update.

I'll probably doodle something like this down in Perl for use on one of my Linux servers if Brian doesn't think rolling it into the daemon would be feasible. Obviously, I'd make it available to anyone else who wanted to use it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12