Thread: problem with service install

problem with service install

I've installed the SOB service in the past. I attempted to reinstall it, but it says it's already installed. Apparently, the last time I decided I didn't want it to run, I just deleted some files in the main directory.

I'm thinking that there are some "keys"(wrong word?) that I need to delete before the service install with truly work.

HELP!!!

Open up the registry (start/run/regedit) and navigate to the following key and delete it:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Seventeen or Bust Service

It should install without any problem when this key is deleted.

Jeff

Okay, I am getting extremely frustrated. First of all, while Maefly's instructions work they require a restart for the computer to "tell the truth" about whether or not the service is gone.

Long story short, after doing stuff that included restarting the computer about 3-5 times, I confirmed, with a restart, that no SOB instances were starting automatically. I then clicked on "sb250.exe", told it it it wasn't a new username, and entered my information.(Technically, it was someone else's information, I traded crunching time because of our architectures performing better in the other person's project) I then entered DOS, entered the correct directory, and typed "sobsvc -i". Fingers crossed. Reset. Three SOB instances, and two of them disappear when I mouse over them.

Does anyone else have this behaviour?

Off-topic: In the US(where I am) is behaviour spelled with a "u?"

Next time you want to uninstall the service, use 'sobsvc -u'

This is from the same readme that tells you how to use 'sobsvc -i' :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Vato
    Next time you want to uninstall the service, use 'sobsvc -u'

This is from the same readme that tells you how to use 'sobsvc -i' :-)
    In that case, I give a tentative

I'll edit this post with my results in about 15 minutes.

Edit: Just as I suspected, it's not that simple. I can have no instances, one instance which isn't a service install, or three instances(two of which disappear as soon as I mouse over them).

I don't know what kind of voodoo is necessary to get this to work, but I'm about ready to throw in the towel. I'm certain it's the program itself and me not knowing the right "trick," so if somebody does know the trick(incantation?), please post.

If this isn't solved by Friday night, I'm going to go ahead and run one instance, but I'd rather the issue were solved.
    Last edited by jasong; 10-17-2006 at 03:48 PM.

Okay, now that I've calmed down, here's what I tried:

I tried having nothing but the sobsvc file in the directory. Ran sobsvc -i, restarted the computer, no joy. Installed the regular service and restarted the computer, and, actually, while it was no joy, I forget what happened. Uninstalled everything, restarted the computer. Installed the regular program but didn't start it up, ran sobsvc -i, restarted the computer, three instances, two of which disappear after being moused over.

I've had the program installed previously before all these problems, but I've also uninstalled repeatedly.