It's time a posted an update here. I never finished Thud by Terry Pratchett, it was a little too manic for me at the time. Since then I started reading The War of Powers series by Robert E. Vardeman and Victor Milan. I blasted through the first three books at the end of last year and have started the next three this year. Don't let your kids get hold of these books if you've got them, they're definitely adult only. It's all good so far, if a bit generic.

Also, something I wanted to mention in this thread is Bookmooch. It's a website that lets you swap books with other people. Basically, you add a book to your inventory that you own but don't want any more. Next, hopefully, someone tells you that they want your book. You go and mail it out to them at the post office, and you're credited with a point (or points, depending on where you sent it), which is your currency. Then, with your points you can "buy" other people's books. So it works out great if you want to get rid of books you've read, and still get some new ones in return. The only cost is travelling to the post office and sending books, but you're getting new books in return so it cancels out.