Thread: What are you reading?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What are you reading?

Ars have a thread like this and I thought it was a pretty good idea. So... to start things off:

Just finished: Terry Goodkind - Wizard's First Rule
    Now reading: Terry Goodkind - Stone of Tears

Want to read (near future):

Terry Pratchett - Thud!
    Terry Pratchett - Going Postal
    Robin Hobb - Fool's Errand

I mostly read fantasy books, as you can tell. Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series was recommended to me by my girlfriend, but I don't think I'll be reading any more of them for a while - I haven't really enjoyed the one I'm currently reading.

Those two Terry Pratchett books I got for my birthday and am being patient not to start them NOW! As for Robin Hobb, the Farseer Trilogy was the best trilogy I've ever read, so I can't wait to start the next one. I was mega disappointed with the Liveship Traders trilogy though.

So, what are YOU reading?

Free-DC's Prime Search
    I'm reading Les mystères d'Osiris, vol 4, from Christian Jacq.
    Next two will be "El prisionero de Spandau" from Greg Iles and "Las Arenas de Saqqara" from Glenn Meade. To read I have a bunch of books....

Also reading "Thermodynamics" from Çengel; "The Exergy Method of Thermal Plant Analysis" from Kotas; a few books about Radiation and Combustion Motors, all for the Master Degree.

I read everything...papers about drying processes, math and so on....but the most important: the Free-DC Forum!

Carlos

I haven't read a book from front to back since the 8th grade but I can recommend:

The Elven Nations Trilogy from Forgotten Realms. VERY good books.
    Distributed Hold'em

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMooseInc
    The Elven Nations Trilogy from Forgotten Realms. VERY good books.
    Hmm, that is a Dragonlance trilogy if I'm not mistaken? Those are sitting on my Dragonlance shelf waiting to be read. The best Dragonlance book I have read is The Soulforge by Margaret Weis. I'd recommend that to any Dragonlance fan unless you hate Raistlin for some reason!

I've tried hard to enjoy anything by Steven King but always lose interest before the end. The closest I got was with Gerald's Game. Oh, I did enjoy some of the short stories in Skeleton Crew as well.

Doh yes they are dragonlance. I get those mixed up with a couple of Forgotten Realms I have. Doesn't matter much though because if Tolkien didn't write it then it might as all be all under one brand of book anyways.

-Jeff
    Distributed Hold'em

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    I've been reading a lot of Trudi Canavan..

The Magicians Guild

The Novice

and

The High Lord

were some of the best fantasy I've read in a long time..

I've also just read her newer trilogy, starting with

Priestess of the White

I highly recommend them if you like fantasy.

I did recently read the Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card too which was very good sci-fi...

I've got some Robin Hobb to read next actually.
    Bok

on my side i'm currently reading
    - "thermodynamique des réacteurs" (turbojet thermodynamic)
    - "ifr navigation" (instrument flight rules navigation for aircraft)
    - "cisco ccna year 1 part 2"
    - "padi divemaster course" & "padi rescue diver"

the first two is a refreshing, the three lasts are new learning to pass exam ...

when i'm bored by those technicals books, i switch to science-fiction books (for those who knows, it's a french collection, "fleuve noir", with about 2000 books ... i allready read 150 of them 1850 to go ...)

I kind of like Heinlein, especially the books where his main characters aren't perverts("Of course I'd make love to Daddy if he asked me, I LOVE him." Yuck).
    Stephen King is entertaining.

Recently, I started,"The Purpose Driven Life," which is supposed to help someone become a better Christian(very good book, if you read it the way the book advises you to, which is a chapter a day over 40 days)

I LOVE science fiction books, especially Catherine Asaro, her writing is AWESOME. The bad guys in her book are empathic,bu have a genetic flaw, that the pain of others causes them pleasure, and vice-versa, making it a race of sadists.(No, it isn't a book about torture, that's just a plot element) Within the context of the book, the Egyptians of long ago invented space travel while the Egyptians left on Earth regressed in their technology. It's a lot easier to build a pyramid if you have advanced machinery, lol. Basically, it's an undocumented amount of time in the future, and earth isn't even a concern in the book.
    Last edited by jasong; 10-25-2006 at 06:32 PM.