Thread: Getting started at Pi Segment

Getting started at Pi Segment

Project Name: Pi Segment
    Projcet's Home Website: http://pisegment.vicp.net/index.aspx

From the Pi Segment website:

What is the purpose of this project?

The main purpose of Pi Segment is to propagandize distributed computing in China and to try to encourage making full use of computational resources on personal computers. China has started researches in distributed computing long before and has obtained some achievement, for example the China Grid. But so far, there isn't any formal distributed projects for the public to join in. Obviously, that's really a waste of computational resources. We hope that the public would get to know about and join in distributed computing, through the propaganda of this project.

What is Pi Segment?

Pi Segment is a distributed computing project held by a university student. It aims to propagandize distributed computing, encourage people to make full use of their computational power and challenge the world record of calculating Pi. There are many popular distributed computing projects in other countries, but there's none in China. We hope that Pi Segment can change this situation. For more information, please visit the Introduction page of the project.
    To download the latest client please visit: http://pisegment.vicp.net/project/projectpart.aspx

The client is very simple to work with, much like the Seventeen or Bust program. The client has built-in support for multiple CPU detection so you don't have to install X amount of copies to have one for every CPU. Registration is done through the client and then you can goto the main website and login then join a team.

If anyone needs any further help (it's pretty much just install->register->run) then please feel free to ask!

Happy Crunching!
    Distributed Hold'em

Is there something you can do if you DON'T want it on every core?

Hello guys!
    I'm the founder of this project. Thank you for testing it!

Since we are in BETA test section, any suggestion is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jasong
    Is there something you can do if you DON'T want it on every core?
    Just click the "Stop" button in the corresponding CPU page

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for stopping by.

I've been meaning to mail you today regarding the stats, just got a little busy...

What I need ideally is some file which holds the following.

name, team, score, downloads, uploads, etc etc

it can be in xml,csv,txt or whatever...

I'll try and email in the morning if I get time (got a flight to catch to Chicago at lunchtime)

Bok

Quote Originally Posted by Bok
    Thanks for stopping by.

I've been meaning to mail you today regarding the stats, just got a little busy...

What I need ideally is some file which holds the following.

name, team, score, downloads, uploads, etc etc

it can be in xml,csv,txt or whatever...

I'll try and email in the morning if I get time (got a flight to catch to Chicago at lunchtime)

Bok
    ya, I'm planing to do that.
    But since I have a little knowledge in XML, I may need some time to learn it.

Could you give me some examples on other projects?
    Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Sure, take a look at the file SeventeenorBust releases for an example.

here

That is in a format say where it is user that has

user,$name,$nick,$signup,$teamid,$totaltests,$lastdaytests,$pendingtests,$totalwork,$lastdaywork,$fi rstassign,$lastreport

Probably overkill too, so all I would need is

userid,name,team,download,upload,etc etc in this raw form, then I can parse it very easily and generate all of the user and team stats from that..if you wanted to do teamstats with their totals within this file as Sob have done, I can use that otherwise I;d just calculate them from the sum of the users scores.

Bok

@JUST

I saw your notice about changing things for the client. As this is super easy to do and whatnot I suggest you release a new client version (maybe 1.0.6.1) that has the modifications done already so all you have to do is post on the main site "Having trouble downloading and uploading work? Get the new client version!"

That will ensure that everyone knows that they need to upgrade (for the files to be right) and you won't get bombarded by "What the hell happened to PiSeg!?!?!"
    Distributed Hold'em

here

user,$name,$nick,$signup,$teamid,$totaltests,$lastdaytests,$pendingtests,$totalwork,$lastdaywork,$fi rstassign,$lastreport

userid,name,team,download,upload,etc etc in this raw form, then I can parse it very easily and generate all of the user and team stats from that..if you wanted to do teamstats with their totals within this file as Sob have done, I can use that otherwise I;d just calculate them from the sum of the users scores.

Bok
    I have seen that. It's easy.
    I will seperate individual stats, team stats and region stats into three files because they have different properties and I think it will be easier for you to parse it.

I have to take some examinations recently. So I will do that two days later.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMooseInc
    @JUST

I saw your notice about changing things for the client. As this is super easy to do and whatnot I suggest you release a new client version (maybe 1.0.6.1) that has the modifications done already so all you have to do is post on the main site "Having trouble downloading and uploading work? Get the new client version!"

That will ensure that everyone knows that they need to upgrade (for the files to be right) and you won't get bombarded by "What the hell happened to PiSeg!?!?!"
    ya, you are right. I will follow your way next time.
    Thank you!

P.S. I updated the website and now you can merge your duplicate devices in "My Devices" page.

here

Bok
    Bok, have you recceived my email?
    It has URL for XML data.

Blog Entries
    I haven't. I'll PM you here with an alternate email address.

Bok

Problems installing client and a suggestion to avoid same problem

I don't know if there's something quirky about my setup, but when I attempted to install PiSegment, I knew I'd crunched it previously, but I didn't know the password. I decided to guess, which was a really, REALLY bad idea.

Word of advice: If you don't get the username and password right on the first try, it's probably best to wipe the installation and start over. The other settings seem to be okay, but the username and password settings should be messed with as little as possible. Not a big deal if you're aware of the problem, but if you're not it can be VERY frustrating.

Blog Entries
    just to point out the team Ukraine goes up very fast! ))
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \