Thread: Need monetary advice

Need monetary advice

As a handicapped person, I receive money from the Arkansas government. As my paychecks increase and decrease, this affects how much money the government is willing to give me, calculated by a simple formula. If my total visible assets(bank account or pay check) go above $2,000 within a calendar month, there is a chance that I could lose my SSI.

The problem is that (1) I don't make enough money to pay for my meds, and (2) while I'd like to spend my savings on computer equipment, the $2,000 limit is a real problem. I only have enough room in my room(the one place where I can do what I want) for about 4 desktop computers, plus a laptop, so I like to make my purchases count.

I've been alternately cashing checks to take the money home and putting them into an account, so that the $2000 limit wouldn't be easily reached by my bank account, but I'd like to spend my money on the Internet without the government cracking down on me.

Even though I'm technically evading my government's laws, I feel I'm in the right, since I'm in that weird area where I can't live on my own, but since I don't live on my own I have a lot more money to spend.

Can you guys think of a way I can spend my money without getting the government angry at me? I've thought about buying computers by giving cash to my dad, but he seems to get a strange joy out of hassling me about my purchases("Now, you're SURE you want to do this? I guess you don't want to go to college anymore, huh?").

Ideas are welcome.

Well I can't say I blame you. The government will help people here illeagely. But the honest people get a bad deal. As for how to spend the money do you have any one you trust besides your dad? Other than that I'm not sure.
    Wayne
    Life is Just a Big Role Playing Adventure

Simple

work more hours/get a better job and then you don't have to be concerned about evading the government watchdogs, as you will no longer need to.
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

Jasong

Give it to a woman they are extremely skilled at spending a mans money.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PCZ
    Jasong

Give it to a woman they are extremely skilled at spending a mans money.
    I'm with PCZ he's right they are skilled at it

But they do have more do and don't rules the the Gov does

The only problem is they don't have them written down

And I think they make some of them up to match there Mood

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Buy books...educate yourself.

Carlos

Jasong,

It feels to me that you are not really holding up your part of the bargain when it comes to receiving the state aid for your disability. If you want my opinion, and I think this has been mentioned before, you should try to make as much money as you can without worrying about how much money the state will get you. I feel like this money you are using to buy the computer parts should really be spent toward your medication or a rehabilitation program or something.

I just know that if I was living in Arkansas paying taxes, I would not want them being used to help someone get a computer fix when he should be using it for living expenses or treatment of some sort.

Sorry if i sound a bit harsh.

Jasong,

Ive done a bit of research about the program that you are part of and think that you could take a few more steps so you dont have to worry about your $2000 limit. This of course means that you want to eventually move out on your own and attempt to be gainfully employed. The purpose of this program is intended to meet you living expenses and if possible help you gain self-sufficiency...not buy computers. That being said this might be of interest to you.

SSI SPOTLIGHT ON PLANS TO ACHIEVE SELF-SUPPORT
    WHAT IS A PLAN TO ACHIEVE SELF-SUPPORT (PASS)?
    A PASS is a tool that a person with a disability or blindness uses to set aside income or
    resources to reach a work goal.
    For example, a person could set aside money for an educational or training program or to
    start a business.
    WHO MAY HAVE A PLAN?
    You may have a PASS if you receive or are eligible for SSI benefits and have income or
    resources, other than those needed for living expenses, which can be set aside to pay for
    items or services needed to reach your work goal.
    HOW DOES A PLAN AFFECT MY SSI BENEFIT?
    Money that you save under an approved plan will not count against your resource limit of
    $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a couple.
    We do not count income that is set aside under an approved plan when we decide how
    much SSI a person receives. This means that a person who sets aside income under a plan
    may receive a higher SSI benefit than if he or she did not have a plan. A PASS plan will not
    increase your SSI benefit if you already receive the full SSI benefit amount.
    This also may mean that a person who would not otherwise be eligible for SSI can set aside
    income and resources under an approved plan to become eligible for SSI.
    WHAT ARE THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR A PLAN?
    A plan must:
    • be in writing and be approved by us;
    • have a specific work goal which you can probably reach;
    • say how long it will take you to reach the goal;
    • say what income or resources you will set aside and how it will be spent;
    • explain how you will keep the income or resources set aside separate from other money
    you have; and
    • describe any goods and services you will need to reach the goal and explain why you will
    need them.
    HOW DO I SET UP A PLAN?
    Anybody may help you write a plan including a vocational counselor or a relative. We can
    also help you with a plan or refer you to someone who can help you write a plan.
    You can get a copy of the PASS application form SSA-545-BK from your local Social Security
    office or online at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ssa-545.html.
    We also have contracts with different organizations to assist disabled beneficiaries who want
    to work.
    For more information, go to the Social Security work site at
    http://www.socialsecurity.gov/work/S...providers.html.

Here is a nice pamphlet giving a good overview of the program, as well as some more specific details of the program.

SSI Pamphlet

Jasong you should take a closer look at this paphlet too. I dont know if you are able to receive medicaid, but if you are that may take care of your prescription problem.

Another thing, this program is sponsored by all citizens who pay federal taxes, not the state.

Good luck.

Blog Entries
    birdman2584 Well done

Birdman: Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of that program. As soon as I finish this message, I'm going to contact my case manager and ask them about this program.

I apologize if I've offended you. Now that I'm aware of the program, I might not have to hide my money anymore. I'm surprised my case manager(or the other employees) haven't told me about the program.

Lastly, just in way of an explanation, I AM on Medicaid. The problem is that I've been led to believe that if I made enough to be kicked off SSI, that I would immediately be expected to pay for my own meds. That's a jump from about $1000 to about $1500, which is quite a big difference. That's the reason for my caution.

I just talked to my mother. The first weekday that I'm off from work, I'm going to head over to the clinic to have an impromptu appointment to talk about my situation.

Thank you, Birdman, for bringing this to my attention. I assumed that since I'd been on SSI for more than a decade, and hadn't heard of the program, that it didn't exist. As it turns out, my mother had heard of the program and just didn't think it applied to me.

First off, I am sorry I sounded like I was offended, I think I just got a bit worked up is all.

Im glad this information is coming in handy for you. I think you will find it quite rewarding to become more independent from your parents and the government as you move to becoming more self-sufficient. It allows you to have more freedom as to what you want to do with your own money as well. I feel that by doing this you will begin to feel more secure in your living situation and rely more on your own intellect rather than your parents.

I wish you the best of luck Jasong!

I talked to my father, and I'm going to be investing my excess money in a mutual fund under his name. Not sure which one, my father is the one with the know how.

Does anyone know where I can find a mutual fund or group of stocks(I'm not savvy on the lingo) having to do with renewable energy?