Thread: "Texting" contest...

Christmas Lighterer!
    Blog Entries

"Texting" contest...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070422/...t/top_texter_2

Anybody else think this is absolutely ridiculous? I mean, the whole concept, the article, the "8,000 texts a month to friends and family", the $25,000, the "I'm going to go spoil my a$$ even more with the money"(instead of the parents putting it away for education or something worthwhile)?

Maybe I'm just getting old, but this just about made me .
    Our Christmas Lights:
    MaineLights.org

Blog Entries
    I have seen people do 80 words a minute on Phones

And here I thought my wife had fast fingers with the TV remote

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    I think it's ridiculous too Texting or SMS is MUCH more prevalent in Europe though. When I was last over in the UK I was in a pub and looking around, probably half the people there were texting.

I checked my phone for how many other bluetooth machines were around and I swear there was close to 50 names sprung up!

I guess it's moving to the US now...

Bok

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Bok, the amount of fun you could have had, making a random name and turning your Bluetooth off after firing a random message Bluejacking for the win.
    Your right I can text fastish but predictive texting is fun sometimes.. It's sometimes all that you need to do is send a quick text rather than phone as some of the charges are kind weird - Im sure you know that much..
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

You should watch the schoolkids over here Bok, if you think that 50 Bluetooths is heavy. As they pass our house walking to school, just about every one has a phone sending texts and swapping files and pics on both text and Bluetooth. I can't get away with the predictive text but my 8 year old ( going on 50ish grandaughter uses 2 fingers and 2 thumbs on her phone with predictive text on or just does "one handed" if she's doing something else like drinking or sucking on an ice cream etc.
    I did get heavy handed a few months ago to ban them all (wife included) from using the phone at the dinner table etc.
    Also, by the way, my wife gets through some 1000 texts a month and some 600 minutes of phone time not including the 250 video minutes and 250 picture texts on her account. All quite cheap over here after hunting the best deals from the Reestit mutton website. My daughter probably doubles that including to her twin wherever she is in the world and my sons seem to live with a phone in their hand mostly.
    I was an early user of mobiles and still have both a Racal Decca briefcase phone and a Motorola "Black Brick" which you could use to start your car in a pinch, but nowadays I avoid phones like the plague and my calls are maybe a hundred minutes a month. My emails are a different matter thoughas I keep in touch with old mates around the world and video conferences for free are magic
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat