Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Projects

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    The stats pages all have links to the projects.. perhaps a small 'home' icon could be placed on each row on the index page which links to the project home ?
    Some of the stat page links work but give errors in the BOINC log . But I forget what ones they are
    You would think the BOINC website would have a more complete list posted
    The Free-DC stat index gives a better list then BOINC does

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    I'm running it on one machine..

No xml is being exported so it can't be added yet..... but I'm watching it along with a few others.

Bok

Goldbach is just a waste of CPU-time atm

Goldbach is just sending out useless UpperCase WUs en masse, to keep such a destructive project in the stats is imho a bad sign.

It's OK for projects to do some initial testing "in the wild" with UpperCase, but after a few thousand, at most for about 1000 credits, it's just wilful stealing from other projects and it's obvious that the project is just a scam.
    Even BelgianBeer needed only ~650 credits to get it all running smooth and rightfully stopped than because nothing useful was developed. Goldbach has so far crunched nearly 600.000 of the useless stuff, 1000x of what was needed by the total amateurs of BelgianBeer.

IMHO a stats page that includes such scam-projects isn't a good stats page.
    You can argue whether the science behind some projects is something worthwhile (imho prime search isn't worth a single CPU-second), but at least they are doing science, Goldbach is doing nothing!

Blog Entries
    I agree they are doing useless work, which is why I have it attached to one machine with a low resource share and that's exactly how it should be in my opinion. Let the users decide what they want to run, they can make their own decisions after all - who are you or we to 'police' this. My policy is to display the stats not pick and choose which ones I feel are correct and should be included. I do not condone an 'overseer' approach. If we start down that path, then where does it end... ? Should we dilute the ridiculous amounts of credits that MilkyWay gave out ? Cosmology? Even Primegrid manual give out pretty high credits.. No, I'm not going down that path, I much prefer to let users decide on their own.

Isn't that very nice coming over here and telling us we have a 'bad' stats page.

Bok

Isn't that very nice coming over here and telling us we have a 'bad' stats page.
    Up until now I considered you a good stats page, and my suggestion was only to let you be this. You really don't care whether a project is just a scam or doing real work?

I don't want a judgement about the science done in the project, but no science at all is soemthing quite different. Fake projects, that only steal CPU-power for worthless junk should not be supported by the communities, they should be named and shamed.

The credit discussion in general is something that should be sorted in the project mailing list in Berkeley. There were (and still are in some areas) irregularities, but at least those projects delivered science, not plain junk.

Blog Entries
    I would not consider it a fake project though. That's where I think your argument falls down. The admin is pretty responsive and adamant that he will be putting out real work at some point. Yes, the UpperCase app is useless and he should have only put out a few wu's, I completely agree, but that, in itself, does not make it a 'scam'. I think you should take the argument to Goldbach instead. Once they start doing real work they should reset the credits - problem solved.

Start a poll if you like and let the users decide whether to remove Goldbach from the stats.

As I say, I don't want to police it, but I would respect the wishes of the community.

Bok

I think you should take the argument to Goldbach instead.
    I don't want an account there, I'm no fan of such math projects, and as they haven't included BOINC-wide-teams yet I'm not in there involuntary as well.
    I have asked some of my team-mates to start a discussion over there, I hope they will do so.

Blog Entries

Question Goldbach conjecture???

Is this the same Goldbach as in the Goldbach Conjecture in mathematics relating to prime number searching ???

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saenger View Post
    Up until now I considered you a good stats page, and my suggestion was only to let you be this. You really don't care whether a project is just a scam or doing real work?

I don't want a judgement about the science done in the project, but no science at all is soemthing quite different. Fake projects, that only steal CPU-power for worthless junk should not be supported by the communities, they should be named and shamed.

The credit discussion in general is something that should be sorted in the project mailing list in Berkeley. There were (and still are in some areas) irregularities, but at least those projects delivered science, not plain junk.
    It sound a little like you want us to be a Big Brother to the DC world.
    From what I know Free-DC was founded on the Idea of Freedom to help out in what ever project we or we as a whole wanted
    And that is why the members of Free-DC put out World Class Stats for ALL Projects.
    If you don't like our Stats you are free to get the Info elsewhere

The Change you want to bring about should start at the source not here.

Let the users decide what they want to run, they can make their own decisions after all - who are you or we to 'police' this. My policy is to display the stats not pick and choose which ones I feel are correct and should be included. I do not condone an 'overseer' approach. If we start down that path, then where does it end... ?
    +1

Stat sites should be completely neutral. Publish everything, and let the users decide. After all, it is up to the users to decide what is "worthwhile". The definition of that word is different for each person.

Blog Entries

Rephrased?????

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    +1

Stat sites should be completely neutral. Publish everything, and let the users decide. After all, it is up to the users to decide what is "worthwhile". The definition of that word is different for each person.
    May I ask if reversing that is equally valid? Let the users (Free-DC membership) decide (perhaps a poll?) and let it land where it lands UNLESS there is a resource and/or technical limit that Bok could inform us of?

If I interpret your '+1' as a vote in the 'Pro' column, then aren't you voting, hence invalidating your own statement? Free-DC, to me, is a team. A TOP-KNOTCH Team with, imho, the best stats in all of DC-land. But, we are a team that competes in projects with others all to advance whatever we are working on. The 'stats' are our instant gratification and metric as to how good we really are in what we do and how/where we have to improve.

I'm not trying to provoke an argument, but may I ask you to consider:

a) we check out the details of the project, even with a test user or two.
    b) report and vote whether to participate or not.
    c) Let the decision to participate / membership support decide if stats are desired/needed.

C

Hi Chuck,

I think you may be combining two separate issues: Team vs. stats.

I am talking about stat sites in general. I believe they should be completely neutral. Just my opinion. Of course, they are free to do whatever they choose.

As for team stat sites, of course, the team should decide. Not us non-team members.

To be clear, I am not a member of this team, and neither is Saenger.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Hi Chuck,

I think you may be combining two separate issues: Team vs. stats.

I am talking about stat sites in general. I believe they should be completely neutral. Just my opinion. Of course, they are free to do whatever they choose.

As for team stat sites, of course, the team should decide. Not us non-team members.

To be clear, I am not a member of this team, and neither is Saenger.
    Z,
    Thanks for pointing that out... I was on the edge as to which way to read it.

I agree with Bok (back a few posts) and with the addition by Lauren.

Thanks for the time and have a good one. All is cool & understood here now.

Please consider my previous post as 'clarified' and pushed into appropriate context.
    (it's getting late here and I didn't quite say what I wanted to say).

C.
    Last edited by Chuck; 11-17-2009 at 01:13 AM. Reason: time to re-read comment

I couldn't find a thread for the GPUGrid@Home project. So I hope Bok or someone will start one.

I have put 4 260 GTX's on GPUGrid to try and move Free-DC above the 9000 point level in the DC Vault. I am hoping that people with available Nvidia GPUs will help the team move up a position or two.

I'm hoping we can get all DC Vault projects above the 9,000 point level.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWayne View Post
    I couldn't find a thread for the GPUGrid@Home project. So I hope Bok or someone will start one.

I have put 4 260 GTX's on GPUGrid to try and move Free-DC above the 9000 point level in the DC Vault. I am hoping that people with available Nvidia GPUs will help the team move up a position or two.

Sorry, all of mine are commited to stomping Laurenu2 on Milkyway in a few days. You should also know that GPUgrid has problems with the GTX260s (at least the last time I checked) and credit is lower than Collatz or Milkyway.
    19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    Sorry, all of mine are commited to stomping Laurenu2 on Milkyway in a few days. .
    How can you stomp me when your ahead of me thats a oxymoron

Quote Originally Posted by LAURENU2 View Post
    How can you stomp me when your ahead of me thats a oxymoron
    I thought you were going to pass me before I finished my 100 Mil on Collatz. Or did I miss something?

Blog Entries
    Nope as posted here
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showpos...6&postcount=55
    I said I did not have enough power to pass you in the time alloted
    And I have not had the time to install enough GPUS to pass you as of yet
    But I will

All my 260s do not have the problem mentioned. And I figured it is a project that we can use some help in to move up the Vault.

Alas, I did sell one of the GPUs today, so I only have 3 on it now.

However, I have put 2 ATI's on Collatz.

All my 260s do not have the problem mentioned. And I figured it is a project that we can use some help in to move up the Vault.

Alas, I did sell one of the GPUs today, so I only have 3 on it now.

However, I have put 2 ATI's on Collatz.
    Those ATIs will get you a lot more on Milkyway.

Look under http://www.free-dc.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=137 PS3Grid/GPUGrid. The project originally ran on Playstation 3 running Linux; that's how I got my first 1.9 million on it. Then, they added support for CUDA cards; eventually they dropped the PS3 support.

Those ATIs will get you a lot more on Milkyway.
    They'll probably get you even more on DNETC, especially if they are 5xxx series cards...

So Bok and Andy were going to keep primaboinca all to themselves. I did a little Sherlock routine and found it. It is just down the road from where I live. Sorry but it seems like I broke it when I joined. Everything seems to be back to normal now and the team should start moving up the list fairly quickly.

Lauren, you might want a piece of this too.

Blog Entries
    LOL. Forgot about that one. I ran it for a day or two and got my 10K for now. Credit isn't great and they've said they would change that at some point, so as I have a few other minor goals I'm waiting..

There is also CAS@Home where I'm close to my 100K, seems pretty stable.

Thanks, I'll add that one to my list.

Here is a Christmas present for everyone.
    MilestoneRSA is a new project that just started a few days ago.

There trying to break a commercial RSA key.
    Very grey area, somewhere i wouldn't commit resources.

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Here is a Christmas present for everyone.
    MilestoneRSA is a new project that just started a few days ago.
    Do you understand the goal of the project?!

Blog Entries
    yeah, I'm kind of torn on running it too, but my desire for the MM's get the better of me. I'll run it to at least 10k for now..

You guys are right. I'll pull the plug on it tomorrow when I get to work.

Evo@home
    About Evo@home
    Evo@home is a research project that uses Internet-connected computers to do research in Machine Learning. This project uses Evolutionary Algorithms to optimize the parameters of different kind of machine learning algorithms.
    Currently the project is used to tune the parameters of a learner used for the prediction of the three-dimensional structure of a protein from its sequence of amino acid residues. You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer.

Evo@home is based at Montefiore. This is the department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science of the University of Liège (Belgium).
    More information about our research will be available soon.

Blog Entries
    Ok I'm In Let's seeif they can keep up

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Evo status - no WU - *SOMEONE* drain the pool ????????????????????? <cough>

Laurenu2,
    They can't.... no more WUs... and they have the Work Generator disabled.... wonder if you drained the pool and then it broke under the strain. Possible ?

Blog Entries
    Well I did jump from last to first place in 1 day
    So I did some serious suck up of WU's
    But it is hard to compete as a team
    Against teams like L'Alliance Francophone
    there 42 against our 2
    But they only have twice our output
    And it always takes 3 or 4 Free-DC'ers
    to take down Big Teams

Blog Entries
    There are 3 of us.... granted I am only running the laptops here, but they can do some decent work, especially the new AMD.
    I just checked the project again and the validator is in a 'not running' state, meaning it's failed or is down.
    Is that project ready for 'Prime Time' ? I still wonder...

I figured you would have taken a bunch, but it looks very much like "lights on, but nobody's home" or am I misunderstanding what I'm seeing in the server_status page? If so, then I apologize to all.

C.

Well I did jump from last to first place in 1 day
    So I did some serious suck up of WU's
    But it is hard to compete as a team
    Against teams like L'Alliance Francophone
    there 42 against our 2
    But they only have twice our output
    And it always takes 3 or 4 Free-DC'ers
    to take down Big Teams
    OK, I'm in. A little today and the rest on Monday.

Blog Entries
    OK, I'm in. A little today and the rest on Monday.
    Hay Bigred how are you. Long time No see I was about to send you a PM to see whats Up

I think Evo is on spring Brake till the 02/06 2011 but then it will be kick A## time

Hay Bigred how are you. Long time No see I was about to send you a PM to see whats Up

I think Evo is on spring Brake till the 02/06 2011 but then it will be kick A## time
    Just been staying busy and waiting for DD to release some new work.

Looks like you'll have time to do the PG challenge that starts on the 3rd and this one is CPU only.

Blog Entries
    How long is this PG challenge ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast