Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Projects

Blog Entries
    To all.... especially anyone who thinks I don't know about windows.......

gets on stepladder <coughs> and offers an oratory to laugh at like the Barker who's actually one of the Clowns at the Circus.... I just ask you to laugh!!!!

To all.... I"ve been using DOS since the 640K of memory days when we had to put extra data into EMS memory..... Can you keep up with me there???? I've also used Regular Windows 3.1, written code in it and a whole bunch of other things you don't want to know. Heck, my ASR-33 with punch still works at a whopping 110 baud of 60 ma current loop. I built my own computers when 2k or 4k made you BMOC and BOTH my 4k and 256 BYTE computers still work!!!!!!

As for 64 bit Windows??????? I'm writing you now from a DUAL-BOOT AND Virtual Machine'd Vista-64 home premuim machine (a VAIO VGN-AW230J) ...... My OTHER laptop is a HP DV7-4170-EN/US with Win-7 Professional with the same capabilities... Yes I take advantage of my Microsoft Virtual PC license and use it!! I do the reverse too!!!.........I boot Linux in VPC when I need it!

I'll be the first to admit!!! Each OS has it's audience and therefore a need, otherwise they wouldn't be here....

It sounds like you're politely saying I need to get 'l**d'..... PERHAPS!!! I've been divorced since 2001 and my girlfriend isn't ready to get married.... not to say.. .um never mind... mixed company here!... She says I need to learn better Swedish, Portuguese, and proper Spanish from Spain. Add to that we already have 3 other languages we mess with people. FYI, she's a year older than me and just as quick tongued and frisky (P.c. words for mixed company) and just as quick to hop a plane somewhere for the weekend or rent one and fly ourselves for a quick get away! She's a nuclear physicist if you must know AND dual Brazilian / Swedish heritage. My own son & daughter-in-law (age 28) say they can't keep up!!! (she's Italian / Corsican).

There's only one place we cry.... when someone get's out of school, after having worked their buns off, with or without family help, and STILL can't look inside a PC and find the North Bridge, South Bridge, handle all the motherboard jumper settings, or know what "ELI the ICE man" means and how to use it or write code in anything other than Java or Python!!! Oh, you don't have a digital meter you say? Will this old analog one work or how about this O-scope to figure out what's wrong with the circuit? What? You need a logic analyser? Why? your scope not enough to trigger on and display the signal traces? You don't know assembly language and can't write some quick code to exercise the problem with precise signals stimulated?

As per the Barker..... "Come one, Come all, Sit down and have a laugh and may we 'Let the show begin!!!'"

<quietly and humbly stepping down>....

Find a coin with head faced up and all the day you'll have good luck!!!

Have a great day everyone,
    Cheers,
    C.

PS: So what's that reference to win64 and 4 GB supposed to mean anyway? Variety is the spice of life, true?
    Last edited by Chuck; 06-26-2011 at 04:40 AM. Reason: typo a 230 and not a 130 VAIO.

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<

a 32-bit OS cannot normally address more than 3-ish GB RAM because it runs out of memory rigisters (read that as - 32 bit limited)
    that said there are some work-around updates and patches out there that can 'fold' RAM for some software to access RAM above that limit.
    because 64-bit OSs have longer registers they can can access greater amounts of RAM, by design

that is one aspect.

the other aspect is that some DC projects lend themselves well to better use of larger registers (not just greater amounts of RAM)
    it is evident in some cases that a 64-bit version of a program is 'faster' than the 32-bit version.
    However this depends upon the type of problem and the type of algorithm that is best suited to solving it.
    There are still plenty of projects where a 64-bit version of the client will not perform faster, and sometimes perform slower.

This performance gap becomes even more evident when looking at 128-bit architecture.
    The performance gain is much less for the majority of solution deigns because we either don't know how to think that big yet, or the problems we try to solve just plain don't need it.
    That said there are High Performance Computing bottlenecks begging for 128-bit solutions, but mostly in data transfer and networking.
    We just don't have that much RAM on a chip yet to make it a necessity,

HTH
    . . . . . ___
    . . . . . . .\___/\______
    . . . . . . . \__AMD___\\__
    -----------------------------------------

Blog Entries
    AMDave,
    Is it not true that in 32-bit Windows the user-space is pretty much exhausted (program & heap) after about 2.5G of the permissible 4GiB address space
    and with respect to 64-bit math... it's simply a case of efficiency where a 32 bit program might require 3 instructions for a multiply, a 64 bit version of the same could do it in 1 or 2 instructions and the slowdown we see is a by-product of cache faults and other memory bus traffic collisions ?

I reference the well known 'Montgomery Math' which may require 3 or more instructions to do what 64 bit math could do in 1 thanks to the register width increase?

Does this not infer why we are so partial to the SSE and SSE2 instruction set extensions where we do math in 128 bits as well as execute a single instruction over a large block of data (hence the name
    SIMD) ?

Cheers,
    C

Yes.
    But your "PS" question got me going
    My life is spiced like 64-bit, so I get l**d a lot.
    128-bit makes me sweat just at the thought!
    At my age I might not be able to handle it
    . . . . . ___

19 primes found. The largest: 1351*2^617684+1 (185945 digits)

Blog Entries
    Then you don't want a user account on the 128-bit machine???? It's not that hard to use, heck I do. It's just a 'Double' is 256 bits... THAT messes with the brain a bit... and we won't talk of a 'Double Double' ... Kinda like a 'Double Bok'. VERY Intoxicating .... err.... Satisfying!!!!!!

Oh, FYI... don't tell anyone (SHHHHHH).... L2 cache is 1024 bits wide for a VERY obvious reason.... soon to be 2048 bits wide...... with 4096 on the bench......... Just don't tell anyone.

(be wery quiet, I'm hunting wabbits)

MQL5 Cloud Network launched

Today, MetaQuotes Software Corp. has launched a new service MQL5 Cloud Network. This is a cloud computing network, which connects computers of many users around the world and distributes resources among them. This network will be useful for those who need additional power for their tasks, and for those who can provide such power for a fee. For the users that provide their resources commission is equal to 10%.

"The MQL5 Cloud Network allows traders to quickly optimize their automated trading," - said Renat Fatkhullin, CEO of MetaQuotes Software Corp. "Owners of free resources that are involved in the new service get a new source of income. Thus, the MQL5 Cloud Network builds bridges between those who need productive capacities and the owners of spare resources."

The launch of the MQL5 Cloud Network is a logical step in the strategic program aimed at accelerating optimization. First, remote testing agents were added in the terminal, through which multi-threaded testing became possible. This allowed traders to greatly increase the speed of Expert Advisor optimization. With the launch of the MQL5 Cloud Network, they can finally forget about long hours and days spent waiting for the completion of testing. And most importantly - the processing power of the network is available not only to traders, but also to anyone who needs additional power. For example, for research involving complex calculations.

To start working in the MQL5 Cloud Network, you only need to download and install the MetaTrader 5 Strategy Tester Agent. Optimization of complex trading robots requiring a lot of computation is no longer a problem! If you are registered on MQL5.com, the MQL5 Cloud Network is already available to you - just enter the "Agents" tab in your profile. You do not need to create a new account!

In addition, all registered users will be credited with a registration bonus of $2 and $3 for each registered agent.
    We invite you all traders and interested enthusiasts to join the MQL5 Cloud Network. Install the Strategy Tester agent and start making money right now. Contributed to the solution of resource-demanding tasks!

EDGI Demo Project
    http://mishra.lpds.sztaki.hu/edgidemo/
    Quake-Catcher Network (Taiwan)
    http://qcn.twgrid.org/sensor/
    La Red de Atrapa Sismos
    http://www.ras.unam.mx/sensor/

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    Edgi is from the sztaki guys, unlikely to ever have stats. I've crunched it a little.

QCN Taiwan do not export stats yet. Well they have a single export with 3 users but its not been updated since they went live.
    QCN Mexico I've already added to the stats (proj=ras)

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    QCN Mexico I've already added to the stats (proj=ras)
    Ok. Sorry my fault I missed this project but as you say it's allready added.

Here are the stats of Asteroids@home
    Only Linux app yet, and only a few WUs

Blog Entries
    Added, they should show up soon. Looks like they have imported the boinc wide users, but the email function does not appear to work as usual. Could you prod them about that perhaps on their message boards?

+1

I have the same problem. My guess is that their mail server is not set up correctly. If it was, we would have received email notification when they imported the global teams. Why is it that this is a problem for almost every new project? It makes the global team thing more of a problem than a help.

Any help notifying the admin would be appreciated.

Added, they should show up soon. Looks like they have imported the boinc wide users, but the email function does not appear to work as usual. Could you prod them about that perhaps on their message boards?
    As I joined 2 days ago, there was no team SETI.Germany, I had to found it, so I don't think the feature was then implemented. But I just found my ATA-team, and had no mail in my mailbox, so some time between 2 days ago in the evening and now they seem to have them installed.

I've asked in their forum.

Thanks!

Edgi is from the sztaki guys, unlikely to ever have stats.
    As per DM a few weeks ago, they are exporting stats regularly. At least one other stats sites is using them. You wouldn't want to be out-stated by another site would you

Oh, and I haven't managed to get an invite code for you. I am unamazed by this

Cheers,

Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Saenger View Post
    As I joined 2 days ago, there was no team SETI.Germany, I had to found it, so I don't think the feature was then implemented. But I just found my ATA-team, and had no mail in my mailbox, so some time between 2 days ago in the evening and now they seem to have them installed.

I've asked in their forum.
    Thanks for noticing, I have fixed it.

Thanks for noticing at Asteroids@home. I have already fixed it.

There is new project Ciência Em Sua Casa

http://mamarreis.lsd.ufcg.edu.br/ciencia-em-sua-casa/

but don't have stats in usual place:

http://mamarreis.lsd.ufcg.edu.br/cie...ver_status.php

Ciência Em Sua Casa

Sorry, but I can't add hot link's, also they don't have stats in usual place.

They still have not exported their stats. That is why the project is not included.
    Several of us have sent emails to the admin, who responded that they would do it 'in the future' but nothing has happened and they still have not opened the Forum.
    For the time-being, it is still an active but 'closed' project.
    Feel free to email the admin yourself: admin[at]mamarreis.lsd.ufcg.edu.br should work.
    Good luck.
    . . . . . ___

Hi all
    Could someone please fix link to project at top of NumberfieldsHome stat page ?

There is a new one : http://numberfields.asu.edu/NumberFields/index.php
    the old one : http://stat.la.asu.edu/NumberFields/ dosent work anymore.

Regards
    morganTN

Plagiarism@Home
    Quote Originally Posted by Homepage description
    About Plagiarism@Home
    Plagiarism@Home is designed to find plagiarism's in Internet.

Plagiarism at home uses distributed computers to search given text for potential plagiarism in Internet resources. Many people writing their work tend to "forget" the resources they used to create their work. This is especially important in scientific works. If anyone uses someone else's work as their own it is called plagiarism. Whenever some one else's work is used it should be noted and credit given to the author. For the people judging the work it is extremely hard to know all possible resources and text on the subject. It is nearly impossible to catch all potential plagiarism in the paper. This project aims to help them. Given the text, the project will provide a network of volunteer computers to search the Internet for similar texts or parts of the text. This will help to find potential resources that the author failed to mention in his work. It will help also the authors of the original works to get the credit they should have for their original work.

WARNING! This project applications heavy use internet connection by downloading web sites!
    You can participate by downloading and running a free program on your computer.

Plagiarism@Home is maintained by Poland BOINC Foundation
    It's NCI, but probably calls for a flat-rate connection.

No stats yet, but as the admins are well known Boincies, they will come soon methinks, and I've asked about that over there.

Blog Entries
    yup, thanks.

I've been following it too.

www.amdusers.com
    When do ATLAS stats update?

Blog Entries
    infrequently.. As far as I know there have only ever been 2 updates, last one 5 days ago.

I just tossed an email at what should be the admin email address requesting an update.
    HTH
    . . . . . ___

Quote Originally Posted by vaughan View Post
    When do ATLAS stats update?
    On that topic, the ATLAS beta stats have been merged into the ATLAS@Home stats so the beta stats here can be removed.

Please reference this thread:

http://atlasathome.cern.ch/forum_thread.php?id=11

Blog Entries
    Didn't I already do that?

I guess the project itself is still there ATLAS old but there are no team/user/host scores associated.

Is that what you mean? Or am I missing something else ?

Thanks

Ah, yes, you did. I guess I should have looked rather than just go on the listing.

www.amdusers.com
    Hey bok - please add the official Universe@Home project, it is out of "test" phase now.

universeathome.pl/universe

Blog Entries
    I added it yesterday

The Van Der Waerden Numbers project (vdwnumbers.org) aims to find better lower bounds for these numbers. The sequence of colors BRRBBRRB (where B is blue and R is red) does not have an evenly spaced subsequence of length 3 that are the same color. However, if you add a B to the end, you get BRRBBRRBB, which has the same color blue in positions 1,5, and 9 which are evenly spaced 4 apart. If you add an R to the end, you get BRRBBRRBR, which has R at position 3, 6, and 9. In fact, with only two colors, there is no sequence of length 9 of Bs and Rs that does not have a subsequence of 3 evenly spaced of the same color. Van der Waerden's Theorem states that for any number of colors r and length k, a long enough sequence always has an evenly spaced subsequence of the same color. The smallest length guaranteed to have an evenly spaced subsequence is called the Van Der Waerden Number and is written W(k,r). For example, W(3,2)=9. This project aims to find better lower bounds for Van Der Waerden Numbers by finding sequences like BRRBBRRB using large prime numbers with special properties.

Blog Entries
    And it looks like stats are exported. Added.

Bok, will it create a problem if we announce the site with URL http://123numbers.org instead of http://vdwnumbers.org/vdwnumbers?

Blog Entries
    Not for me, I'd just need to change over the links.

But I know from past experience it will be a bit of a pain at your project to switch it over. There will be issues, but it's been worked through at other projects in the past.

Will you be adding Briseurs de Code to the list? Or are you waiting to see if it's viable? I'm always wary of projects sans forum...

Blog Entries
    They aren't exporting statistics yet http://briseurs-de-code.org/briseur/stats/

When they do, I'll add them.

D'oh! Of course. Explains why Boinc Test Project also isn't on the list.

Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    I can of course add stats for individuals for projects that do not export stats. I've just started doing that for briseurs for myself and a couple of others, let me know if you want me to add you to that list. It's really in case they disappear altogether, as a few projects have that I crunched a while for without ever exporting stats.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast