Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BOINC Sieving

Quote Originally Posted by balachmar View Post
    I fear I am not getting in the SoB Sieve stats.
    With sending in the result at SoB I get:
    Factor table setup returned 1
    Test table setup returned 1

0 of 1 verified in 0.02 secs.
    0 of the results were new results and saved to the database.

and from PSP I get:
    User: balachmar **SOB Flag: PSP_Only
    Input contained 1 total lines.
    Input contained 1 valid lines.
    Input contained 1 valid lines from PSP k values.
    Input contained 0 valid lines from SOB k values.
    Input contained 0 invalid lines.
    Input contained 0 lines with unknown K.
    Input contained 0 lines with already known factor.
    Input contained 0 wrong factors.

Am I sieving in the wrong range or what?
    From the PSP side it says there was one factor and it was a PSP factor. When a PSP factor is submitted to SOB it will not be saved into the SOB database. It also will not say it is a PSP factor so it looks like it is ok. You will only get points in PSP for PSP factors and only get points in SOB for SOB factors.
    Last edited by glennpat; 05-21-2008 at 05:32 AM. Reason: added last sentence

ok, so SoB factors are a different kind of factors than psp?
    I didn't know that. But I am doing the right range, but sometimes a factor is a PSP factor and other times it is a SoB factor. right? Has it something to do with the formula being used?

The DAT file has 16 different K that it is looking at. 10 are from PSP, the other 6 from SOB. Every factor you find will be from one of the K. The one found happened to be from PSP. You will find a random mix of factors for different K in your range.

When you find factors you want to submit to both sites. As from http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthr...&threadid=3501

You must use the combined dat for a reservation gotten through Matt's system.
    Then you must submit the factors at two different places:
    1)At SB's submit page
    2)At PSP's submit page

NOTE:
    If you only submit at the PSP site, your factors are not lost, but you won't get credit at the SB site.
    If you only submit at the SB site, and do not send your factors to factrange at yahoo, your PSP factors will be lost.

S.

OK, now lately I have sent in 2 results to SoB sieve. And I see 0 points on the stats. And it says they are excluded. What went wrong?

Maybe they were PSP factors, did you submit them to here: http://psp-project.de/sieveimport.php

I submit them to both sites.
    Bot they were SoB factors. Else they don't turn up in these stats:
    http://www.henleyclan.co.uk/sobsieve...me/ti/0034.htm
    I don't know what went wrong...
    One of the factors was:
    12309442058453173|55459*2^21693514+1
    (I resubmitted it, just to check if that was the one, I hope this doesn't mess up anything)

Can nobody help me out on why those factors were excluded?

Quote Originally Posted by balachmar View Post
    I submit them to both sites.
    Bot they were SoB factors. Else they don't turn up in these stats:
    http://www.henleyclan.co.uk/sobsieve...me/ti/0034.htm
    I don't know what went wrong...
    One of the factors was:
    12309442058453173|55459*2^21693514+1
    (I resubmitted it, just to check if that was the one, I hope this doesn't mess up anything)
    On SoB sieve anything over 2^20000000+1 doesn't get recorded in a persons stats and you don't get points for them. I believe it does say when submitted that they are saved to the data base.

If it was a PSP factor then you do get points for it and the bigger the number the more points you get.

I didn't have much luck with these new ranges in the 12300000 range and have switched over to P-1 factoring to find factors described at:

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52

Quote Originally Posted by glennpat View Post
    On SoB sieve anything over 2^20000000+1 doesn't get recorded in a persons stats and you don't get points for them. I believe it does say when submitted that they are saved to the data base.

If it was a PSP factor then you do get points for it and the bigger the number the more points you get.

I didn't have much luck with these new ranges in the 12300000 range and have switched over to P-1 factoring to find factors described at:

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52
    Hmm....wouldn't factors for the whole <50M range be credited, since the dat file goes up that far? (Or has the system just not been updated from when the dat file used to go to 20M?)

Or else the software should stop checking for SoB factors above the threshold where you don't get any points. (Else I am wasting time) If they however want these factors then credit should be given.
    I obviously prefer to get credit for the work I send in.
    Could maybe hhh explain a bit, what is up with the credits?

If you call me like this, I will pop in, even if my memory about the subject is bad.
    Here we go. (All the following info is modulo "IIRC")

PSP gives credit for factors as a function of n and p the factorsize, end of discussion. Note that even factors get credit that might reveal to be useless, because a prime is found before they save an LLR test.

At SoB, the story is more difficult. Here, factors are like a bank deposit that you can't withdraw immediately. The thing is that a factor only scores when it has actually saved an LLR test.

Say, you submit a factor for n=16M. You get no (or only marginal, I don't know) score for the moment. When in one or two years, firstpass LLR reaches 16M, your factor will save a LLR test, and you get your score. Now, imagine, a prime is found for the k of your factor. So doublecheck will never be done, and your factor does not score again. If no prime is found, however, it will, a couple of years later.

Why do the factors above 20 M not appear at all? Because a couple of years back, we switched from sieving until 20M to until 50M, and the script and the scoring system and everything has not been updated yet. However, factors above 20M will save a test only in 10 years or so, so until then, this might become fixed.

As you know, factors can be found by sieving, and P-1. While sieving just tries all p for any n, and hence gets factors for randomly scattered n, with P-1, we search any factor p for n that we can fix. So, we search for factors for n just above the firsrpass level, in order to save these 2 LLR tests before it is too late. To make this more interesting, there is something called "active window". Factors in this active window (n between firstpass and firstpass+300000 or so) score twice as much. You might be lucky and find such a factor by sieving, but you are sure about that for P-1. Additionally, P-1 saves LLR tests soon, and hence you get youre score soon.

PLEASE don't be angry with this system, and SUBMIT EVERYTHING YOU FIND, even if you have to wait a little eternity until you see the effects. If you want sieveing credits immediately, I suggest BOINC, which gives you even credits if you don't find a factor.

Lengthy post, but it's no easy subject.

Glad to help, H.

Thanks for the reply this clarifies it.
    So in time the script will be changed and I might get credit for the "excluded" factors. But if I want to get credit soon, I need to do P-1.
    I'll check P-1 out then

balachmar,

Humm.. if memory serves me correctly one will not recieve credit for excluded factors.

Excluded factors are a little weird and why the client reports them I'm not sure.

The reason why excluded factors don't count is pretty simple really.
    An excluded factor is not needed since another (generally) smaller factor has already be found for the same k/n pair. So basically even though its a real factor it wasn't needed because we already factored out the k/n pair.

If you look at the k/n pair that your factor sieved out you will actually see that that k/n pair does not exist in the database.

Why these factors are generated I don't know... I think it has something to do with the fact that one factor cannot factor more than 1 valid k/n pair, so if a k/n pair is found that your p matches there is no need to factor further with that p and the client moves on. I guess this makes the client a little faster. ( On why exactly, i'm not sure (recalling from memory) but I know they won't credit.)

I probably have a couple thousand of these...

Blog Entries
    Well, excluded factors like double check in general SoB. I prefer to have two different factors for k*n pair, just to be sure. And AFAIK, some SoB primes come from second pass )))
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12