Thread: First Mac Trojan -- and spreading

Blog Entries

Question First Mac Trojan -- and spreading

Well gang, with X86 cpus in Mac's now, it had to happen..... the first trojan.... and it seems they are spreading.

I should have said something about this sooner, but thought it was more isolated than it is. I know it occurred a month ago, but I really wanted to dig deep.

Apple's security is still in question as of the latest info I can find and a few folks are running 'kinda scared'. Anyone with more info on this so it can be put to bed?

I am waiting for feedback on it from a friend who is 'in the know'.

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<

Well, it was bound to happen I suppose. There are killjoys everywhere, determined and thriving on negativity.
    Those of us that use Macs, will need to go down the same path the M$ folks have for years.
    I found the following product, but I don't know if that's the 'one' to use.?
    http://macscan.securemac.com

Blog Entries

Unhappy Applesoft anyone? & Virus scanner selection

IB,
    I don't have an answer for this one and it's been nearly 30 days now since it was known. I'm sure the virus companies are scampering like crazy to add a new 'sucker'... err... 'customer' to their sales. Please forgive my personal bias, but if Linux is good enough to fly a commercial airplane, what happened in 3 years????

I usually don't show a bias (intended or accidental), and I'm not displaying one here, but I seriously do question the decision made by a controlling block of Apple shareholder(s) to push the x86 architecture over the PPC. I think, strictly as an architect/engineer, the x86 does not fit into a box that was PPC designed from day 1. Am I alone on this?

What is the path for us now? I personally am frantically pushing a friend to let go of his G4's (dual I think) so that I have more horsepower as well as backup hardware.

I am going to do some deeper digging (all input invited and greatly welcomed) as to what to do for a previously impervious platform.

Please forgive the sarcasm (this is a serious point/question to ask and slightly off topic), but will my ARM-7 iPod get virused now? I know the iPhone (ARM-9 CPU) was hacked in short order and left us with the new 'iTouch' (iPhone with GSM disabled). The iPhone-2 (ARM-10?) is due out by Christmas. What's next?

Is QC slipping are executives applying that much pressure to get a product to market... ready or not?

C.

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<