Thread: Print Server

Print Server

I am looking into a print server for one of my older printers, Its a NEC Superscript 1800 and I am tired of having to turn on its main computer to run the parallel printer from it. Of course i could just mover it to another computer, but its in a totally different room and it would be in the way where I do most of the work.

So far I am looking at the Netgear mini print server PS101 for $59.99

Any thoughts? Good unit? anyone else using one?

Just thought I would get some more info before I spend the $$$
    Since you can read this, Thank a Teacher.

Since you are reading this in English, Thank a Veteran.

Personal Web Page
    http://www.maqs.net/~jmerlin/

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Merlin I take it the parallel printer is worth keeping then and if so that piece of kit is exactly what is needed, configure it, set n forget looks like it even got a decent buffer in it.
    I'd say get a newer one but some of the newer ones simply do not have the functionality you'd expect - there is no "customizable" setting on it, like my epson c40 - I can set the paper and all the settings where as I believe some of the newer epson's you can't do this as it's been removed or well hidden from view that and the ink carts are hmm SMALL :-S, i mean if you printing out photos it used 720dpi full inkage where as I'd put it out as 360dpi fine :P which uses less ink...
    Some Parallel printers are worth keeping even if it is an old dotmatrix 80-col printer
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..

The main reason I dont want to get rid of it is, I purchased it for $150.00 3 years ago. It does 18 pages per min 9 pages per min double side print.
    It is already setup with 2 paper trays not including the front load, so it has 3 paper trays. all except the front try hold 500 pages up to legal size.
    Printer configurations are done on the printer itself, no software interface. Which I dont mind, for I havent reset any of the settings since I purchased it.

Right now I cannot find another for the price or should say investment I have in this one.
    Since you can read this, Thank a Teacher.

Since you are reading this in English, Thank a Veteran.

Personal Web Page
    http://www.maqs.net/~jmerlin/

Free-DC Semi-retire gopher_yarrowzoo's Avatar
    Then go for that peace of netgear kit - a 3 tray printer with all the settings on it - sounds a bit like the network printer / copier / fax we got at work but that don't do double sided - sounds like you got a bargain
    Semi-retired from Free-DC...
    I have some time to help.....
    I need a new laptop,but who needs a laptop when you have a phone...
    Now to remember my old computer specs..