Thread: Multicore CPUs

Multicore CPUs

Hello, everyone. I own a quad-core CPU (Intel Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz), and I am wondering if there is a way to make Seventeen or Bust use all four of my cores. I think it is possible to just open SB 4 times, but I'm not sure if that could mess anything up, such as if they were to try doing the same calculation, and screwing something up. Just wondering if it is a good idea to run four instances of SB or not, or if there is a multicore version I can download somewhere.

Thanks, and I hope I can contribute a lot to this project! I even intend to install this on another computer!

The client already supports multi-core. You will want to install it as a service.
    Give this a read: http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8086
    We'll be here if you have any questions.

If you are running Windows, then installing the service will allow you to run as many instances as you want, I believe it will default to 1 instance pr core. IIRC the readme will have all the information you need.

Check out IronBits guide to install multiple clients.
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12260

Below is what I did and it's simple as pie.

Open a CMD session, goto \program files\sob

:: (installs the service handler)
    sobsvc -i

:: (agressive: 2 clients, in a Quad you want 4)
    sobsvc -p:2:0

:: (TOGGLE - keeps the icons in the tray, so that you can check them)
    sobsvc -k

:: (Displays the current parameters)
    sobsvc -d

:: starts the Service
    net start "Seventeen or Bust Service"

:: stops the Service
    net stop "Seventeen or Bust Service"

BTW can you post a pic of 4 clients running on a Q6600, I've been looking for that for quite a while.

Seventeen or Bust running on my Q6600. It looked a lot more impressive when we were still on first pass and I was getting 5M on each core. By the way, I had to buy a Scythe heatpipe tower with a 120mm fan when I switched from dual core to quad core because of all the heat SoB generates by pushing all four cores all the time. The stock heatsink wasn't up to the task (I like my CPU to be less than 60C).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SOB.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	1087  
    "Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article." Get free DOS, OS/2 and Windows games at RGB Classic Games

I am now running SB on all four cores. Thanks a lot for the info!