Thread: QuadCore

Free-DC's Prime Search

QuadCore

Intel® Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHZ skt775 2X4mb Cache bus 1066Mhz

P5LD2-X/1333 - LGA775, Intel 945GC (A2) ICH7, FSB: 1333(O.C)/1066/800/533, 2 D...

DVD recorder Supermulti 20X BULK SATA

HDD Samsung 250Gb 7,200RPM SERIAL ATA II

EN6200LE TC256/TD/64MB - VGA GF6200 LE TC 64MB Turbo Cache 256MB TV-OUT;DVI

DDR 2 1024MB 667MHZ

Cx MidiTow ATX -350W - USB2.0 + AC97+ SATA

All of this for €650. I'm changing the DVD recorder to an Asus one and increase the memory to 2 GB 800Mhz. Still waiting for the final budged.
    Is it a good machine for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of money?
    This machine will substitute my current AMD 64 3000+ (2GHz).

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

Blog Entries
    Wow! and that quad core is running with that Intel 945 chipset? Incredible
    the-mk

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Intel® Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHZ skt775 2X4mb Cache bus 1066Mhz

P5LD2-X/1333 - LGA775, Intel 945GC (A2) ICH7, FSB: 1333(O.C)/1066/800/533, 2 D...

DVD recorder Supermulti 20X BULK SATA

HDD Samsung 250Gb 7,200RPM SERIAL ATA II

EN6200LE TC256/TD/64MB - VGA GF6200 LE TC 64MB Turbo Cache 256MB TV-OUT;DVI

2x DDR 2 1024MB 800MHz

Cx MidiTow ATX -350W - USB2.0 + AC97+ SATA
    New price: €665.

Quote Originally Posted by the-mk
    Wow! and that quad core is running with that Intel 945 chipset? Incredible
    Is it good? Sorry for my ignorance.

Blog Entries
    I wasn't aware until now, that this chipset can handle quad cores.

Here in Austria you would get the most components for that price, including the case with PSU and maybe an OS... how may % VAT do you have?
    the-mk

Free-DC's Prime Search
    21%.
    I just made a search and this motherboard doesn't support DDR 2 at 800MHz.

I haven't done a lot of research on this, but you might want to wait a month or two to see what AMD can do to improve their quad-core. Also, AMD might be better bang for buck with it's quad-core, I haven't actually done the math to find out.

Wake Forest, North Carolina, United States
    Blog Entries
    I think it's a pretty decent price and would go for it, but also I didn't think the 945 chipset could do quadcore, you need the 965 or 975. Definitely go for 2Gb ram...Make sure you get a decent heatsink/fan.

I've been very happy with my quadcore. It's runs just fine at 3Gz. Not tried pushing it higher but it would probably take it...

Bok

If you want to play around with overclocking that board would seriously hold you back.
    It will barely run at the stock speed of the CPU.
    A bad choice i would say.
    For that money you could get a machine with a more modern motherboard.
    Not being able to run DDR2 800 is a warning sign that the chipset ain't up to much.

Look for Intel 965/975 or p38 chipsets.
    Or Nvidia 650i.
    Stay away from VIA.

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Quote Originally Posted by PCZ
    If you want to play around with overclocking that board would seriously hold you back.
    It will barely run at the stock speed of the CPU.
    A bad choice i would say.
    For that money you could get a machine with a more modern motherboard.
    Not being able to run DDR2 800 is a warning sign that the chipset ain't up to much.

Look for Intel 965/975 or p38 chipsets.
    Or Nvidia 650i.
    Stay away from VIA.
    Thank you.

Free-DC's Prime Search
    New motherboard: Asus P5B SE. PCZ?
    Last edited by em99010pepe; 09-26-2007 at 06:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Post A hardware config suggestion/example. -- FWIW

FWIW: I have a ASUS m2n32SLI-deluxe that will handle DDR2 and a quad that OC's 10% easily. It has copper cooling pipes and fins all around. It *was* a top-end board a year ago, but is 'so-so' now. I did have to put a good 750w supply with it because it also runs 4TB of my disk storage.

I did use a copper T-Take (with heat pipes) and AS-5 which keeps it at a nice 42C (full load) and mid 30's when idle.

Hope that helps.
    C

A FDC in training, fellow supporter of Firefox.

Proudly crunching with AMD & ATI power.
    If you want The Best you must forget the Rest
    >>>>>>>>>and join Free-DC<<<<<<<<<<<

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Overclocked the CPU to 2610 Mhz and temps when running with LLR are 70, 67, 66 and 66 ºC. Fan at 1100 RPM from SilenX. I still don't know how to increase the fan rotation....Is this good?

EDIT: Forgot to install the fan controller!!!!

Blog Entries

Arrow Cooling Quads.

Quote Originally Posted by em99010pepe
    Overclocked the CPU to 2610 Mhz and temps when running with LLR are 70, 67, 66 and 66 ºC. Fan at 1100 RPM from SilenX. I still don't know how to increase the fan rotation....Is this good?

I would turn off the silent stuff as it tends to turn down fans too slow and also does not respond well enough to spikes in temp. Make sure Q-FAN control is DISABLED in the BIOS... sometimes a power off/on cycle is required after a change.

Personally, from what I am experiencing here now, your temps are VERY high even with overclocking. I am running dual quads on one machine @ 2.6G and 53C is 'hot' as I see it. My room ambient is 28C (yes, warm indeed) and the CPUs are 45-47C under 'stress test' or LLR loading. It should be around 45C max (but 46-47 spikes are ok) under load with room ambient at 20-21-22C but I am using good air coolers and Artic Silver 5 (Yes, in spite of what people say / think because of experience and lifespan per application). I also have 8 drives in the box.

I assume your Quad is rated for 2.4Ghz and you are doing a 10% OC? The X2's are actually the hottest chips of the family per die. They didn't get get benefit of being made in the new, smaller size. When I overclock an X2 4400 10% I will get temp of 47-48C with LLR. I don't like that much strain on the X2... You need to adjust the core voltage (and play other games) to keep things from burning out too soon / overstressing them.

First test for you is to run CPU at 35C idle (MAXIMUM) with room ambient of 21C and normal clocking. (never accept more than 15C above room ambient intake because you are also sucking in motherboard and HD heat as well). FWIW, the Mobo itself should stay below 30C PERIOD! The temps should be stable well into the 29-30-31C range as you OC.

I have found that each 3% OC increase is about 1C idle and up to 3-4C under full load.

LLR on Opterons is an issue due to the Code and DDR2 timing. The CPU never gets to 'idle'. Version 3.71c of LLR (Win and equiv linux) are the hardest on AMD's I've seen to date. (you know it's bad when LLR 3.6 is faster!! LOL)

Drop me an email if you have questions.

C.

edit: forgot 'spikes'
    Last edited by Chuck; 12-18-2007 at 05:42 PM.

Free-DC's Prime Search
    You don't reply to my emails!!!

With the original stockfan and no overclock the temperatures are way below, 55 ºC to core 0 and 50 ºC to the rest compared with that cooler where I get +12 ºC per core. Tomorrow I'll get back to the original one and get my money back.

Carlos

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Here's my motherboard manual:

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/.../e2620_p5b.pdf

How and where to I manually increase the fan speed? (I don't have here the fan controller, left it on the store)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by em99010pepe

Carlos,

those temps are pretty normal actually for the quadcore. Mine @2.9Ghz right now under load is about 70C for each core (no voltage increase). Been running like that for months now, no issues at all.

Bok

@Chuck, want to put any of your intel machines on SoB? Show us what you have... the dual quadcore should be nice.. I have access to a few dual X5355 machines, but unfortunately can't run anything on them

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Thanks Bok. I only increased the CPU frequency but those temps were from 2 hours ago, now it's 73ºC stable for the highest core. I'm gonna leave it for the night...

I suppose with 4 LLR clients your quady will easily reach 75ºC or even more...

Blog Entries

Talking ONLY AMD Spoken here .... except a lonely P4-B

Bok,
    I am still a PROUD AMD owner... and always will be.
    I am confused that you are getting such high temps. But, given you are OC'ing to 2.9, perhaps you've hit the gate. Now, I know this is counter-intuitive, and I wish someone would explain to me... but the X2 is HAPPIER (cooler) with lower core voltage and being overclocked. I know, it makes NO DARN SENSE, but that is how it behaves... ASUS Mobo for that one....

My Quad AMD are on my Tyan mobo. The Dual Dualies (Opties as well) are on the Asus SK8N (does a great job with Sata-2 and raiding for sure!!!! LOL). Both machines are up to 8GB of mem now... the Tyan is Corsair ECC 3-2-3-6 and the Asus is Corsair Twin-XL 2-2-2-5 non-ECC.

I respect Intel, and I respect the fact my P4-B take handle being ignored so badly for so many years and still work.. LOL, but the real work gets done on my AMDs. BUT, in all fairness... my K6-2 500 Mhz still runs and you ALL know how old that baby is!!!

Chuck

Carlos: Check your email!!!!

Free-DC's Prime Search
    How fast is a quad-core on SOB?

Chuck: Got your email...

Blog Entries
    I think IB is getting 3.5M per core on his quadcore. VERY impressive.. you'll have to follow the instructions and install as a service under windows for multi-core, it's pretty easy. Linux, just run from different directories

I have Vista on my quad and SoB does not not work too well on it. I'm too lazy to re-install it, so tomorrow I'll put vmware on and install linux and see how SoB does under that..

Chuck, the dual opty's actually aren't too bad on SoB. That's basically what I'm running on it under CentOS 4. Give it a go.. I get about 1.7M per core on them..

Bok

I had my dual quad x5365 machine running SOB and it was getting around 4.5T's per day under Windows XP.

Blog Entries

Was that per core?

Question: Was that 4.5T/day/core or on the whole cpu (all 4 cores as one) ?

I ask because I got 4T/day/core. One of the reasons we wrote PRS (aka jjsieve) the way we did was because of performance.

C.

Blog Entries
    I have 5 Q6600 and 1 Amd 2xquad on SOB But I would not know how to get there Rateing there

Yes Chuck come help in SOB till the 1st We (Free-DC)needs you

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bok
    I think IB is getting 3.5M per core on his quadcore. VERY impressive.. you'll have to follow the instructions and install as a service under windows for multi-core, it's pretty easy. Linux, just run from different directories

I have Vista on my quad and SoB does not not work too well on it. I'm too lazy to re-install it, so tomorrow I'll put vmware on and install linux and see how SoB does under that..

Chuck, the dual opty's actually aren't too bad on SoB. That's basically what I'm running on it under CentOS 4. Give it a go.. I get about 1.7M per core on them..

Bok
    Bok,
    If I run the 4400x2 stock (@ 2.2G), it is giving me 4.3 MegaP/ sec/ core under win/2k. The Opties (dual or quad) are even faster because the SSE2 is faster. Under Linux, non-gui mode (aka Virtual Console mode) it's even faster.

Chuck

PS: Re Vista: I have avoided it because MS has been handing out XP downgrades like crazy.

It was 4.5T total across all 8 cores. My machine is an 8 core Macbeast with 3.0ghz Xeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bok
    I think IB is getting 3.5M per core on his quadcore.
    Bok
    Pretty as a picture can be

Blog Entries

Question identifying Macs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkusuda
    It was 4.5T total across all 8 cores. My machine is an 8 core Macbeast with 3.0ghz Xeons.
    Question: In the Mac architecture, did they keep the L3 cache in there with the Xeons or was that all removed when the PPC was removed? I ask because one of the things that made the PPC haul buns was it's L3 cache when we did character recognition with large input buffers (scan line data from reading postage).... I used to work for a postal automation company and the belt speed was 4.5 meters/sec, which translates to 50,000 pieces / hour. That orange bar code on the back of your mail is from our/my machines (i was the computer architect)....

Chuck

Blog Entries

Helping with SOB

Lauren,

I got an email, from this thread about helping with SOB. Did the notification system make a mistake or did I get misdirected somehow?

and if I can be of help and do help.... you all up to helping me with a VERY interesting project????? I have one that , in private we can discuss and it will knock your socks off as it is part of my next white paper and Thesis.

C.

Blog Entries
    I don't know about the E-mail I my self have not received any
    Yes any cycles you can point to SOB for the next 2 weeks will help

Got a Q6600

on order should have it by Friday, but who knows with Christmas mail. I'm going to take my core2duo out of it's current case and run it off a wooden base as it has an onboard VGA.

Will take me up to 10 cores full time 4 cores part time and access to 6 intels via Borgage.
    Alas poor Borg, I knew it Horatio

http://www.butlersurvey.com/

Blog Entries

Wooden Board configs

Fozzie,
    do you find that putting little rubber feet on the bare spots of the bottom of the mobo (with long, but not tight) wood screws work ok for you on a mobo->wood mount?
    I ask because that is what I use and even with AGP,PCI-E, or even PCI cards, as long as I align the edge it seems to run very cool... sometimes cooler than being in a case.... with exception of the dust collection (which is more when on the board).

Chuck

I just place mine on the box the mobo comes in.
    Been working for years just fine that way

Blog Entries

Talking

I found that using 1"x12"x12" size pine flooring blocks work great! Using this, I have air under the mobo as well as above *AND* (the best part) I can toss them side by side on the Baker's Rack and just hook up the power supplies, Enet, KVM wires, and boot HD, and any other cards/connections, all dangled down the back into the wiring tray/harness/loops (zip ties). PS, HD, and harnesses on the lower rack, Mobo's on the upper (6" spacing).

One of these days, I will actually clean it up enough that i won't be embarrassed by a picture of it and send it off. Right now, I have DVD stacks, etc a clock or two, the network backbone & routers, etc... all on the very top shelf. Works great, looks like #@%#@!.

PS: I was told that 'you know what' would probably freeze over before I got it all clean again. The last time it was perfectly clean was when I moved back from Texas. It's been constantly 'evolving' since then.... into what I don't know, but I think it is nearly 'self aware'

C.

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Overclocked to 2835 MHz and the highest temp is stable at 66ºC. Gonna stop playing around with it. I'm very pleased by its performance....

Carlos

Blog Entries
    which DC client do you run? If you run d.net-OGR, does it produce more (overclocked) than a PS3?
    the-mk

Free-DC's Prime Search
    I run LLR for RPS project...I'll test OGR when I get the time.

Free-DC's Prime Search
    Quote Originally Posted by the-mk View Post
    which DC client do you run? If you run d.net-OGR, does it produce more (overclocked) than a PS3?
    Here you go:

Quote Originally Posted by IronBits View Post
    One PS3 averages ~228 Mnodes/sec - guessing ~20-22 T per day.
    Q6600@2.8GHz averages ~169 Mnodes/sec, that's 14.6T per day. You can go up to 3.0GHz with the original heatsink.

Carlos

Blog Entries
    so a PS3 is cheaper when buing (~ 400 EUR for the 40 gb model) and during operation (consumes about 130 Watts), but you can do less with it since it has fewer hard disk storage (40 gb vs. what ever you put into it) and RAM (< 512 MB vs. whatever you put into it)
    the-mk

Quote Originally Posted by the-mk View Post
    so a PS3 is cheaper when buing (~ 400 EUR for the 40 gb model) and during operation (consumes about 130 Watts), but you can do less with it since it has fewer hard disk storage (40 gb vs. what ever you put into it) and RAM (< 512 MB vs. whatever you put into it)
    Well, I'm hoping more DC apps will be added as time goes on. My personal favorites to be added(assuming it would run well on the ps3): ecm(and p-1 by proxy), LLR and a ps3 version of sr2sieve.