Thread: PS3 - A Sony Playstation 3 can run this project

PS3 - A Sony Playstation 3 can run this project

Assuming you already have Yellow Dog Linux or Fedora 7 Linux installed and your PS3 boots into Linux, and you are using SSH to connect remotely to the PS3.

Here are the instructions from BlisteringSheep from the Ars Forum for what you need to get started. Then my instructions follow at the end.

I built the client from source (version 5.10.17); here is the installer: boinc_5.10.17_powerpc-unknown-linux.sh. The SIMAP clients are available on the SIMAP download page. You need simap_5.10_powerpc-unknown-linux and hmmer_5.09_powerpc-unknown-linux.

You will need an app_info.xml file (you can just grab simap_app_info.xml and rename it to app_info.xml in your projects/boinc.bio.wzw.tum.de_boincsimap directory after attaching to SIMAP.

Note that I built the client on a Fedora 7 system, not Yellow Dog, so you may have dynamic library issues. If you build the client from source yourself, you're going to have to add --with-boinc-platform=powerpc-unknown-linux to your configure options. The SIMAP clients are 32-bit, so you're going also need the 32-bit libraries installed: # ldd hmmer_5.09_powerpc-unknown-linux
    linux-vdso32.so.1 => (0x00100000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x0fd40000)
    libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x0fcd0000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0fe20000)
    /lib/ld.so.1 (0x0ffc0000)
    # ldd simap_5.10_powerpc-unknown-linux
    linux-vdso32.so.1 => (0x00100000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x0fd40000)
    libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x0fcd0000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0fe20000)
    /lib/ld.so.1 (0x0ffc0000) You're also going to want to either set <max_cpus>1</max_cpus> in your global_prefs_override.xml file or set <ncpus>N</ncpus> in your cc_config.xml file to make it only use one of the PPE cores.
    To the above I'll add the following instructions to achieve a successful running of the client.
    Note: Yellow Dog Linux did not have any issues with the Libraries

cd to the directory where you put boinc
    run chmod 755 boinc to make sure it will run

Using just the boinc command client only
    To Attach to the project
    ./boinc --attach_project http://boinc.bio.wzw.tum.de/boincsimap/ <your KEY>

It fails to run because it's missing the binaries to run
    so I used CTRL-C once it was joined.

Copy the following files
    simap_5.10_powerpc-unknown-linux and
    hmmer_5.09_powerpc-unknown-linux and
    simap_app_info.xml
    to boinc <dir> /projects/boinc.bio.wzw.tum.de_boincsimap <directory>
    cd to projects/boinc.bio.wzw.tum.de_boincsimap and run

chmod 755 *-linux (to make them executable)

Then run
    ./boinc --reset_project http://boinc.bio.wzw.tum.de/boincsimap/

then run just ./boinc and make sure it's working for a few seconds...
    Use Ctrl-C to break out of the program again

Then use the following to run the client and get back to the command shell.

./boinc --return_results_immediately --daemon

Now you can just type exit to get out of the SSH session and your done.
    Takes about 1 day to complete a wu.
    You can run OGR or RC5 at the same time to.

The boinc_5.10.17_powerpc-unknown-linux.sh file is a sh archive - a sh script wrapping a binary tar blob that also creates a run_client and run_manager script with the installation path in it. You should be able to extract it with "sh boinc_5.10.17_powerpc-unknown-linux.sh"; it will create a BOINC directory.

I have also now uploaded boinc_5.10.17_powerpc-unknown-linux.tar.gz. This is just a gzip compressed tarball. Uncompressing it with "tar xfz boinc_5.10.17_powerpc-unknown-linux.tar.gz" will create a directory "boinc_5.10.17_powerpc-unknown-linux". You can either run directly from this directory, or rename it to BOINC (apparently the conventional name for the BOINC directory). This tarball has run_client and run_manager scripts, but they don't have any directory path in them, so if you want to use them you'll either need to change to the directory where they live to run them or edit them to add the cd command.

Ah, maybe that's why I had problems.
    I used ./boinc_5.10.17_powerpc-unknown-linux.sh after making it 755

Hey, thanks for that gzip compressed tar ball !

Yup, chmod 755 (or chmod +x) would also do the trick. I'm glad they were useful.

I just checked, and I've been using the PS3GRID boinc client.
    Is that a problem?

Nope, no problem at all. I just always build my own because I also have a PowerMac, so I need a powerpc64 client in addition to the regular powerpc. If you're getting WU's and they're completing, then everything should be good.