Thread: P4 or AMD ?

P4 or AMD ?

I'm getting a new computer in a day or 2, so I want to know which one would be better, the 2.533 ghz p4 or the XP 2200+ ? both would come with at least a gig of RAM and a good solid motherboard.

This computer will be my main cruching and gaming system, so I'm wondering which one would be best for those 2? I'm only going to use it for other things once in a while. It'll be mainly for crunching and gaming like I said before.

I'm in a bit of a problem here.. I know the P4 has the speed and power to run whatever game I want, but I also want to have good performance in other things and that's where the AMD chip comes into play so PLS help me out here... which one would be the best?

btw I do have the money to afford the P4 so money is not an issue here. I simply just want the best one that suits me.

forgot to mention this.. the P4 will come with 1 gig of ram (rdram, maybe the one that's clocked at 1066mhz) and the amd chip would have DDR (don't know what speed)

What, are you trying to start a flamewar?
    In all the latest benchmarks (especially with the -rt) switch, the Athlons seem to be utterly eating the P4 for breakfast. As for gaming and the rest of the equation.... Don't forget that you are on a list populated by enthusiasts, and I'm sure you are aware of their (our) tendency to prefer AMD chips. The P4, especially with that memory is a screamer of a platform, and would probably get you slightly better framerates in some games. Exactly how much I don't know. But all things considered I think you still might want to go with AMD (you'd want DDR333), because I bet the differences in crunch speed are more significant than any differences in gaming performance. You'd never notice the difference between the two in any other application except maybe video encoding or something like that.

Of course, that's just my opinion. You may call me a fanboy if you think it will make you feel better.

Yeah. What he said.

lol well I'm a fan of AMD too but since I do have the money to afford the P4 I was simply just considering it. Now I'll get the AMD chip

I recently bought an AMD Setup myself: 2200+, Asus A7V333, and 512MB of 2700 DDR RAM.

I'm getting about 150K/24 hrs. on this most recent protein. It's royaly whipping my 2.2 Ghz machine from work's butt. I'm VERY Happy with it...

Just my 2 cents...

Mash

if (AMD 2200+ && 256MB/2700 DDR && MSI KT3) then
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Sun Aug 11 00:17:18 EDT 2002
    Distributed Folding Linux Benchmark Script V1.1
    Sample Size: 333755 structures over 177978 seconds.
    Structures Per Second: 1.88
    Structures Per Minute: 112.52
    Structures Per Hour: 6750.94
    Structures Per Day: 162022.56
    Linux OS - Running Kernel Version 2.4.10-4GB
    AMD Athlon(tm) Processor @ 1869mhz (256 KB cache)
    All with minimal O.C. Me Happy!

Hey Paratima,
    Couple of questions for you
    1-Where did you get V1.1 of the bench script and what's the difference from v1.0?
    2-I have a 1700+ which gets 140000/day, shouldn't a 2200+ get more than 162000?(something like 170000-175000?). Just thinking of getting a 2200+ myself, but maybe other parts of the system start limiting performance( memory bandwidth?)
    With my SIS745 (a7s333) running the memory at 333 was a little slower than 266 (1 to 1) probably caused by some extra waits to sync with cpu.

(1) Made a couple of purely cosmetic changes and just wanted to indicate that it wasn't original anymore. Mostly just put in the date/time.

(2) Literally "threw" that system together in under an hour. Talk about Plug & Play! I've had 0.00 hours free to tune it.

Yup, it will probably do 1.7M/day. As soon as my house-guests leave on Monday,and assuming my wife's "Honey-do" list hasn't grown, I'll start looking for a little quiet time to spend "fine-tuning". I'll post the new numbers when I get there. Of course, by then, we'll have a new protein, so we'll have to interpolate. Guess I'll do a comparison with my 1800+ boxen.

Thanks, I'll be interested in your results.
    Funny thing how those lists never get smaller

Boinc'ing away
    just to throw a p4 onto the fire - have a p4 2.4 (running at 2.7 - not much of an o/c) and get around 200,000structures a day...

i would say athlons are bettter for crunching but the p4 is a lot smoother doing multitasking and brute strength processing (which is why i got mine)

well I just got a 2200+ and I love it here's my benchmarks for it

Distributed Folding Windows dfGUI v1.8 Benchmark

Sample Size : 97505 structures over 39361 seconds.
    Protein Size: 69AA

Structures Per Second: 2.48
    Structures Per Minute: 148.6
    Structures Per Hour : 8918
    Structures Per Day : 214030

CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2200+
    Client Switches: -df -qt -rt -p 20

over 200,000 a day. but it could be because I have 1 gig of ram on this beast..