Thread: Official Playstation Store Thread

Official Playstation Store Thread

So, I decided this would be a great spot for people to talk about things available on the playstation store, tips, tricks, and workarounds.

Demos:

MotorStorm - Definately worth the download, VERY good demo, extremely entertaining, I'm hopefull for an update in the future, or a final release very soon.

F1 CE - Also fun, displays the amazing differences between aids. This game can go from noob friendly to nail biting with the switch of a few driving aids. Very good stuff (and it looks amazing as well).

Genji - Um....what is there to be said about Genji that hasn't already been said about Afghanistan?

Downloadable Games:

Blast Factor - Good demo, extremely short, full game offers a lot more. The full game retails for $7.99 and has a ton of levels, and different enemies. Offers more depth than Geometry wars, and is very entertaining in the late stages. Really good for breaks from other games.

Cash Guns Chaos - Eh, I'm not fond of this game particularly, very boring, lots like geometry wars, only 3D and blah. Never purchased the full version.

Lemmings - I absolutely LOVE this game. Lots of levels, addictive puzzle gameplay, and catchy tunes. Definately worth the purchase of $2.99.

Go! Sudoku - I love sudoku, so I'm biased, but this is a great game, especially at the discount price of $2.99 (for each pack above the starter). Hundreds of puzzles, plus online multiplayer makes this a winner in my book.

Getting Asian Market goods: There's a trick to getting free downloads from the HK and JPN markets, basically you have to register a new account with your area as "Hong Kong" instead of "United States". This will put you in the Hong Kong market, and you can download the GT: HD trailers and a few other exclusive to Asia items. You cannot, however, purchase the premium content (things you have to buy).

Downloading Tips: I highly recommend downloading at night, around 9pm CST, as it's the time of day when the east coast is going to sleep, and the west coast is still "at work" / "rush hour". I wouldn't download updates (unless you have to) until night time as well.

You must not have read the sticky thread for this Forum, so I'll provide the link so you can.
    http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13385

We don't use PS3s for gaming or watching movies, we use them for working on Distributed projects, like DNET OGR.
    If you care to join us in Distributed Computing, we'd love to see your PS3 in the stats.

OK, I read the sticky and I've got a DC question. Well, two.

1. In which projects do PS3's make the biggest difference?

2. How many does it take to make a powerhouse configuration? Like rule the world sort of thing, or at least make a goodly dent in the fabric of spacetime.

I've got this here 10-port router, see...

Well, actually, besides that I've also got a 24-port switch and a POS running SUSE 10.3 that would make a great server. Just trying to come up with scenarios.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

1) DNET - finds and uses all 7 - 3.2GHz cores automatically
    a) OGR = 20T Gnodes per day per PS3
    b) RC5 = 3,000+ blocks per day per PS3

2) Do the math, with 10 PS3s, 200T/30,000+ per day
    a) HUGE pharm, 20 PS3s (~400T OGR, give maefly a run for the money! ), Medium pharm 10, Small pharm 5 (~100T OGR)
    Then there are the MEGA pharms http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12728 - Finish OGR in one day!

Near as I can tell, there are three distinct types of PS3 pharms, Commercial, Work and Home...
    highvoltz has 17 PS3s at work, with only 10 running atm because of A/C problems and small room/lab size.
    He assured me that they are working on the problem, so I fully expect he will pass me one of these days.
    I have 10 PS3s at home, and trying to keep up with highvoltz and catch a few folks up the ladder

1 PS3 does the work of ~4 dual core PCs for only 113 watts per PS3 on DNET, silently, for $400.
    Buy one PS3 and put 4 dual cores on another project

There are several projects that you can use a PS3 for, but none work as well as DNET does.
    1) Folding@Home = ~900 Points per day per PS3
    2) PS3GRID = ~3,500 Points per day per PS3 (I think... )
    3) Boinc SIMAP = ~45 points per day per PS3, but runs with DNET with minimual hit of ~1T per day per PS3.
    4) Boinc Seti - I have no clue, don't chase LGM.
    5) DNET has a new unknown project in the works...

I'm sure there are others, but that's what I know so far, and of course, YMMV and IMHO... just do it!

As usual, IB, a thorough analysis. Thank you!

I'm thinking on it. Maybe will start with a couple units & see how it goes. Hmmmm.

4) Boinc Seti - I have no clue, don't chase LGM.
    I haven't done that in YEARS!
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Sony has teamed up with tech company Nichia to develop a smaller, cheaper Blu-ray laser unit, which may eventually result in cheaper PS3s.
    http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertain...eid=1714997370