Thread: Milky Way Problems

Milky Way Problems

They seem to have more or less gotten control of this project. The stats still get updated & published only once or twice a day, but I'm badgering them on it. As far as the client goes, I've only had two problems lately. Windows systems:

1. A WU gets stuck and stops all your BOINC processing, which you can check for with Task Manager. It just sits there, not letting any other WUs get processed. In this case, you'll find all of your allotted 20 WUs waiting patiently. The only thing you can do here is Abort the unit and move on.

2. A WU gets stuck but lets other WUs get through. In this case, you'll find that all your downloaded WUs have been processed and reported except the bad one, so your Tasks screen is nearly empty. In this case, you should go to the Projects screen and do a Reset Project. Clears it right up.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any way to diagnose these problems externally. You just have to look at the Tasks page and make sure you're running.
    HOME: A physical construct for keeping rain off your computers.

Not Fun

The site is down AGAIN!

You'd think that an outfit like Rensselaer would be able to do better on an "official" school project. Wonder if they've got the freshmen in charge of this one.

Ya, I aborted all tasks and don't allow new tasks.
    nqueens full speed ahead

Yup, Proteins@home and Cosmology for me!

Sure wish they could get it together. Whenever it comes back, I may give it some more cycles. (sorry, hertz)

MilkyWay@Home is fubar once again.
    NQueens it is then...

Rosetta for me, for now.

Running again, but who knows for how long.

I've decided to run my biggest boxen (which aren't all that big, but I love 'em) split half and half between Milkyway and Rosetta. Rosetta is stable as a ... well, something that's mighty stable. So when M@H crashes again, it'll just switch to R@H full-time. Maybe not the best of all possible plans, but I'm going with it for now.

I will, however, switch everybody over to R@H for CASP8, upcoming.

Just a PS... Ironbits, you are absolutely correct when you say that BOINC is a not very esthetically pleasing solution to DC task scheduling. (That isn't what you said, but I think that's the essence.)

You would think that after all the time that it's been worked and re-worked, that it would have some flexibility and some smarts. Nope. It's full of inflexibilities and dumbs!

Almost makes me want to grab the source code and see if I couldn't do better. Except (sigh) that I gave up doing that programming stuff. Where's that smiley for beating a dead horse when ya need it? Oh well. End rant.

Tis true, I wish Boinc was just an option, with each project having it's own native client that was as robust and problem free as DNET.

(sigh) It's in the weeds AGAIN!

Oh, for a REAL admin!

And what is even more bizarre, is that after they bumble around for a day or two and finally get it running again, 20 people will chime in on the forum to tell them what a great job they're doing and actually THANK them for fixing what shouldn't have been allowed to break in the first place! OMG!