Thread: Old results sometimes getting deleted

Question Old results sometimes getting deleted

Hi,
    something strange is happening to some of us who still have some rests of buffered work. We upload with the "-df -u t" switches, but sometimes the client still checks for a new version, sees there is one and deletes the buffered work
    Most of us had backups, fortunately, but what is really strange: this does not always happen. Copying the backup to another directory, this time files were uploaded and not deleted.
    ???
    Any idea what might be going on?
    The only thing that comes to my mind is a different configuration of download proxies, as it is the luck of the draw which one is checked for an update, am I correct? And checking some special proxy leads to the deletion of saved work and attempted download of the update?
    Just guessing in the dark.
    I know about the "let the client update and copy your results back later" procedure, but I think that was only needed in past updates?
    We would really appreciate any comments,
    Jerome

I noticed that my structures were getting deleted during the client update also. I stopped the client then restarted it to initiate the update. The first thing it did was delete all the old structures instead of uploading them.

guru

That was the old version of the client. you have to download a fix for that. Check 07/29 on http://www.distributedfolding.org/news.html

OK, sorry, I knew about this emergency fix of the binary but had not noticed or remembered that this fix was not included in the auto-update two days later.
    I assume I still need this, as the date of the binary is still 7/22?
    Jerome

Yep.. the autoupdate only seems to be an update of the protein information, not the whole program. We have to download the whole install program to get the program updates.
    (if you don't have a message about "xxxx until next upload. xx sets buffered" on the client, then you don't have the latest one.)

The auto-update can replace all files of the distribution, but the foldtrajlite.exe file is only replaced if it is considered a critical update. In this case, you need to download the new distribution to get the new .exe that will not delete old proteins.

Jeff.