Thread: Server Changeover

Question Server Changeover

Does this August 19 posting about the new server changeover date mean that the new protein will also be released tomorrow?

That is correct
    Howard Feldman

Thanks for the clarification.

dns ttl

On the news page it sez:

The IP of the main server will most liekly change so it may take a few hours...

The TTL for the www and the anteater machines is set for 86400 seconds (24 hours) so depending when your dns expires, it may actually take up to 23 hours 59 seconds before you see the change.

It is conventional to reduce TTL to around 3600 about 24 hours before a significant IP change and change it back to 24 hours at least 72 hours afterwards. This will slightly increase the load on the definitive DNS server, but unless it is heavily overloaded that shouldn't be an issue.

A 24 hour TTL will be unfortunate for those users who get a refresh just before the change - they may be unable to upload their old results within the 24 hour grace period

Senior Member KWSN_Millennium2001Guy's Avatar
    Can anybody see the new server(s) yet? I downloaded the new protein (with file dates of 8/19), but can't start the service because I can't see the servers yet.

I guess I can't. When I go to the web site I just get a message "Server temporarily down while we change to a new protein. Please check back in an hour. " but I'm not sure if I am seeing the new server or the old one.

No e-mail has gone out saying a new protein is available so how did you grab it, just going to the FTP site manually?

Jeff.

There is a work-around: edit foldit.bat and append " -if" without the quotes to the line that starts with .\foldtrajlite.
    -if means Internet False, i.e. offline.

The service still won't start, but you can run the batch file yourself.

When the servers are back up, quit the program, remove the -if, & start the service to flush your results.

Mark

PS when you are running the batch file it ignores the useram flag in service.cfg.

So if you have over 128 MB of free physical memory, then you can also append " -rt" without quotes to the list of program flags.

Mark

Running it with the -if switch I see that this is a very fast 69 aa protein. I can only run it that way on one machine. I need to wait for the servers to become visible before launching it on the farm.

will the ip updates be released, so some of us can add them to our host files for a few days?

Aha! I found a little trick. I run most of my DF Clients as services. If you don't have any network connection and it can't reach the server the service will still start and continue to work. If you do have a network connection and it gets a "Server Down" error, the client won't start.

All you need to do is trick your computer into thinking it is offline so just pull out your Ethernet cable, start the Service and it will run, then plug back in and you are off and running. If your DF Client goes to upload results and the server is still down, it will just buffer the results and keep on crunching.

For those of you with 100+ machines, just think of it as good exercise...

Jeff.

Thanks for the tip. I decided to try something else instead. I unplugged the proxy server from the outside, launched the service on the farm and then plugged back in again. Looks like I am crunching the new protein. Now I just need the servers to show up so that I don't fill the harddisks with buffered units.

How difficult would it be to add a second NIC into the new main server and the new Anteater.. and set the second nics up with the old ip#s? and in a day or two.. take them down for a bit and rip those cards out?

Yes. SOME progress would indeed be a fine thing!

What a fine time to choose to do an IP change Has anybody any idea of the new IP address yet so I can add it to my hosts file?
    Train hard, fight easy

on the back end switch

on the ip switch... as us based have the new work already and i europe based have to wait untill my pants fall off before i see some new server.... can't upload, can't get update....
    Not fair....

KWSN_Esthalan

Until now, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING works over here since the so-called server change over. No autoupdate, website URLs NOT accessible anymore and so on. No information came with the email notification, also - I was surprised to see that this one reached me, anyway.
    When I start the client it just gives "Server down for maintainance - Press Enter". Since yesterday it is like that.

Michael.
    http://www.rechenkraft.net - Germany's largest distributed computing community

- - - - - - - - - -
    RNAs are nanomachines or nanomachine building blocks. Examples: The ribosome, RNase P, the cellular protein secretion machinery and the spliceosome.

6 hours to go before the 24 hour mark is reached.......

Still no connection, only getting "server down for maintainance, hit enter".

Don't make me loose another shitload of work again plz....

KWSN_Esthalan

If you can't wait for DNS, I have already posted the new IP in another thread - it is 206.248.62.8 - just put this in your hosts file for anteater*.distributedfolding.org and www.distributedfolding.org and youll be off and running.
    (On Windows HOSTS is found in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc or seomthing similar)
    Howard Feldman

C:\WINDOWS\HOSTS - Windows
    C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS - NT

Hmm i can see the servers, after adding the servers into the host file. All my clients then downloaded the update (69) but cannot upload any results. "Server not responding"
    I must have well over 500,000 waiting to be uploaded by now.. what are the odds i loose them

I see a few peeps in my team are producing, how long do i have before my results are invalid ?

if you can't upload data, you've still missing the "anteater*" entry in your hosts file.

We hid this in the technical support forum:
    "
    to update your hosts file so you don't have to wait for your dns server to update to the latest settings for the distributed folding servers, take a look at the following page that describes how to update your "hosts" file to get rid of annoying ads:
    http://ssmedia.com/utilities/hosts/

-----------
    at the top of the Hosts file, add the following 2 entries for distributed folding:
    ----------------------
    206.248.62.8 www.distributedfolding.org
    206.248.62.8 anteater*.distributedfolding.org
    ----------------------

if you save with wordpad or notepad, it usually sticks a .txt extension on the file; so you have to delete the original HOSTS file, and rename HOSTS.TXT to HOSTS.

good luck...

Woehoe..... finally working here.....

KWSN_Esthalan

Here's the contents of my host file

206.248.62.8 distributedfolding.org
    206.248.62.8 www.distributedfolding.org
    206.248.62.8 anteater13.distributedfolding.org
    206.248.62.8 anteater*.distributedfolding.org

I have flushed my dns cache ( ipconfig /flushdns ) and restarted my PC's but i still cannot connect to the servers

My home PC is even worse it still won't allow my to get onto the site with the domain name. host has been changed on this also..

I had the same problem this morning, I had added both the www.distributedfolding.org and anteater*.distributedfolding.org to my hosts lists on both Linux and Windows.

I could then get to the web site, but none of my clients could connect and upload results. Hopefully when I get home tonight the DNS will have been updated so it will all be working.

Jeff.

The thing I found out is you can't use the '*' in the /etc/hosts entry for anteater. You have to specify the current no., which is 17 for this protein.

Vic
    Yes, yes. Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have very sad death. But, at least there is symmetry.

Babylon 5

Ni,

All i did was a ping to anteater16.distributedfolding.org and to anteater17.distributedfolding.org and zebang.... it worked...

KWSN_Esthalan

klippetieklip klippetieklop

try the simple things first..
    is "hosts" in the right spot?
    is "hosts" spelled correctly and does it have the right extension? (none)

(everytime I'd save it with Notepad or Wordpad, they'd put a .txt at the end, and I'd have to kill the original Hosts file, and rename the new one..

is the proper spacing important for the Hosts file? (I made sure the urls lined up on mine) and both servers are visible with just 2 entries.
    (run through the ssmedia procedure.. and if you shut off all the annoying ads on cnn or some other news site, then you know you're doing it right..

(anteater*. worked fine with win98se at work, and Win2k Pro, at home. What versions of Windows doesn't it work right for?)
    Last edited by tpdooley; 08-21-2002 at 05:37 PM.

This whole host changing every protein issue is a giant PITA.

Every machine that does not have DNS service available has to have the /etc/hosts file manually updated each change. I lost days of work from my quad and 8-way HP-UX HP9000 because it dumped the stored work when the server went unavailable yesterday.

Why can't the new client and results server(s?) use the same IP address, and have that encoded in the client?

OK, bitching aside, I'm happy to see a 64 bit HP-UX client! Thanks for providing that.

You will be glad to know that the anteate stuff will stop from now on. All uploads will be directed to www.distributedfolding.org now.

Also, your HP-UX machine should not 'dump' data when the server is down, it should buffer it and try to upload it when the server comes back up. Was this not the case?
    Howard Feldman

That's a grand idea Howard, thank you.

Howard -

It may have been a case of improper setup.

I DL'd the client and installed it in separate folders for each CPU on each machine.

I ran each client with the -qt and -rt switch in the foldit.bat file from a console window.

The client happily churned away, oblivious to the outside world, since I had made no entries in the /etc/hosts file to tell it where to upload. I was planning on ftp'ing the filelist.txt file and the associated reults files onto a box with Internet access to upload periodically.

Tuesday rolled around, and I shut down each client with Ctrl-C in each console window ('Q' didn't work), planning to do a manual install of the new client. When the client couldn't find the upload server, it apparently deleted the filelist.txt and the upload files.

Soooo - is there another way to gracefully shut down the HP-UX client so it doesn't delete the result files?

Also, if I run the client in multiple console windows without the -qt switch, it seems to want to share the same CPU. If I run with the -qt switch, each client happily runs on it's own CPU.

I use an X Windows client (Reflection-X) on a Win2K box to monitor and control the HP9000s. Each copy of the client runs in it's own console window.

Couple things about that setup: Did you use the -df or -if switches? Especially the -df one. It allows more than 6 protein sets to be buffered on your drive, which is what you want if you don't have access to the outside. Otherwise it will stop crunching after 6 sets. Also, the -if switch will prevent it from attempting to contact the network if you don't want it to. With just the -qt and -rt switches, it will try to upload every time it finishes a set, and if it can't, it will stop after doing 6 sets and just sit there (to keep from filling up the hard drive.

Had the same problem on one machine.... Lost the machines production due to deletion of the filelist.txt .....

And yes i checked the -df option first... it wasn't a fresh install... so the update should have left the foldit.bat alone..... but aparently it didn't....

Rest of my machines at home did upload....

And again two eurocents...

KWSN_Esthalan