Thread: Stats Server Up ????

Stats Server Up ????

The Stats don't seem to be updating, last update time was Tuesday 21:30 EDT. Current time is 6:00EDT Wednesday.

When I checked it seems the main overall stats page is still updating every 30 minutes but the individual team stats pages haven't been updated since last night.

Jeff.

Yup, you're right. We'll look in to it and see what's wrong, though I have a suspicion.
    Howard Feldman

Release All Zigs!
    Hi Howard,

I've been watching the stats servers last night. I like to track the results of our team and the movement of the top 10. It seems like the individual stats (via the login) and the team stats are not staying in synch with each other. It also seems the individual stats are acting kind of funny.

I just tested this about 15 miniutes ago...:
    If you upload work between the half-hour marks, it doesn't show them. But if you do a handle change it will show the supposed total. The thing is, the total is still less than what is reported on the team page. Before the server conversion, it actually worked the opposite, which actually makes sense since the teams are composites of the individuals and wouldn't get update till the next poll.

Here's a funny thing, sometimes if you refresh the individual's (login) page, the total structures will revert BACK to the old number.

Last night I saw the same thing as willebenn, but then at 0130 (PDT) it seemed both sets of stats updated.

I know on SETI@home that they poll like once a day. But, if you turn in work results, your individual account would be updated. DF stats seems to be almost acting like this although the reverting back is like its ignoring the most recent numbers and instead reading the numbers from the previous general poll.

If I come across any more observations, I'll pos them.

Best,

RuneStar½
    PBB D.C. Team
    The SETI TechDesk
    http://egroups.com/group/SETI_techdesk
    ~Your source for astronomy news and resources~

Release All Zigs!

Exclamation Here's something interesting

If someone else can can try this and confirm they got similar results that'd be appreciated...

I started to go in and start playing around by changing my handle around. The first time there seemed to be no change, then it seemed to revert to even older number on subsequent changes. During one change, which just happened to be back to the normal handle, and only during that one change, it matched the same number as on the team statistics.

I just tried it again. I used a slightly modified handle and it stayed the same number. I changed it back to the original and it updated to the same as the team chart. However, if you refresh the page it drops back to a lower number.

Hope that helps you track down the bug... BTW, it seems sometimes that the graphic for the stats doesn't appear. Occassionally the best energy for the account does that too.

RS½
    PBB
    The SETI TechDesk

One difference now is that we have multiple web servers (all syc'd of course) instead of one. Thus refreshing the page could give you the page from a different server. Because they sync only every few minutes, different web servers could have slightly different values depending on when they last sync'd. This also explains why the GIFs are sometimes missing but then present if you refresh.

However theoretically they should all be identical at all times so I will invetigate a bit. But rest assured it is not the CGI/database that is messed up but most likely the syncing between the various web servers.
    Howard Feldman

Release All Zigs!
    That's what I was roughly figuring. You actually can see this difference if you just display the stat graphic and just keep hitting refresh. You'll see a lot of the time that it gives the old information...

It seems to be like a pattern of 2 Old - 1 New - No Graphic... although I'm remembering this from memory... but that gives you a rough idea. I'd guess on your end you can track the order the servers are hit in and figure which ones are acting up.

I hadn't thought about it on the web server end quite... I doubt possibly there were multiple copies of the database (one on each server) and they weren't syncing right... I was right in guessing it was a sync problem.

BTW, I don't know how it operates, but (recommenting on this) I know on SETI that it'll update the individual stats on the user's page when their is a change in the profile. Does it do this with DF too (a fresh poll for that record) or does it just use the last poll?

TTFN.

RS½
    PBB
    The SETI TechDesk