Thread: OS X Intel Beta Client [v2.5.06]

OS X Intel Beta Client [v2.5.06]

This is the first beta build of a OS X client. Feel free to give it a shot. Similar to the recent Linux beta builds, this client supports TransmitBlocks.

This release package includes the binary and the configuration.

Caveats (for v2.5.06): YMMV. This is even more beta. I need to do more testing on this client to make sure things are reported properly, as we have never had an OS X client before. Please test with it, but don't deploy widely.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mcgar....06-osx.tar.gz

Is this cliënt supposed to run under 10.4.11 too? Or only under 10.5? I keep getting a 'Bus error' on startup, after which it simply dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavla View Post
    Is this cliënt supposed to run under 10.4.11 too? Or only under 10.5? I keep getting a 'Bus error' on startup, after which it simply dies.
    I compiled it under 10.5, so I doubt it'll run on 10.4. I'll see if I can compile one on 10.4

Try this: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mcgar...6-osx-2.tar.gz and let me know if it works under 10.4.

Too bad, it acts the same. I guess I'll have to upgrade to 10.5 then

Too bad, it acts the same. I guess I'll have to upgrade to 10.5 then
    Can you paste me the exact output?

--
    Mike Garrison

macbook:~/Documents pavla$ sudo ./sb
    Bus error
    macbook:~/Documents pavla$

macbook:~/Documents pavla$ sudo ./sb
    Bus error
    macbook:~/Documents pavla$
    Interesting. I can't find a 10.4 macbook around here to try it on.. can someone else confirm or deny that they have the same issue?

I can run it under OS X 10.5. The problem is that OS X 10.5 has 64-bit libraries and 10.4 has 32-bit libraries. I would not expect your build to run under OS X 10.4, you will need to build on that version of the OS.

Two other notes:
    1) You don't need to run with sudo, "./sb" from the terminal command prompt should be good enough.
    2) sb appears to read from "/etc/sclient.cfg" when no arguments are specified, not from the current directory. AFAIAC, this is a bug, not a major one, but a bug nonetheless.

I tried once more with the config file in the right place: /etc/sclient.cfg and with and without sudo, I guess it indeed has to do with the 64-bit libraries Luckily enough there's bootcamp for a little bit of crunching

I tried once more with the config file in the right place: /etc/sclient.cfg and with and without sudo, I guess it indeed has to do with the 64-bit libraries Luckily enough there's bootcamp for a little bit of crunching
    I don't understand why the cfg file needs to be in /etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    I don't understand why the cfg file needs to be in /etc.
    I'm pretty sure you can specify the path to the config file (at least this was possible on other platforms):

./sb ./sclient.cfg

that should tell it to use the sclient.cfg in the same directory.

Trust me, you're fortunate that you even have that option - the Windows version reads a certain registry key making it even more difficult to run multiple copies without using the "service-mode".

Quote Originally Posted by umccullough View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can specify the path to the config file (at least this was possible on other platforms):

./sb ./sclient.cfg

that should tell it to use the sclient.cfg in the same directory.

Trust me, you're fortunate that you even have that option - the Windows version reads a certain registry key making it even more difficult to run multiple copies without using the "service-mode".
    I'm very familiar with Windows problems. My question is why does the client default to reading the cfg file from the /etc directory? The "logical" choice would be to select it from the current directory, not some other directory that the average user knows nothing about.

I am currently testing this client on my MacBook Pro (OS 10.5).

But i have only one question, is it ok to run 2 clients (1 for each core) from the same directory or am i now processing each block twice?

Continued interest in a 10.4 client. I have a few machines at work that can not be updated to 10.5 due to some software conflicts but I can install developer tools on them so if you want someone to recompile a Tiger compatible version I'd be more than willing to help.