Thread: Too many members not running Ubero

Too many members not running Ubero

There are five of these miscreants who have stopped producing, or in some instances, they have never done a WU.

Team Chili Pepper is closing the gap quickly. We need to put up more numbers just to stay even.

We currently have a 15000 WU lead on Ars, but that will evaporate in a week if we don't get some more boxes producing.

Dyy said he will help, so I am not calling him a miscreant

Please get a box or two running. Even slow boxes work.

Thank you, he said as he hides his Cat'O'Ninetails behind his back.

Colin
    Colin Thompson

Unhappy Re: Too many members not running Ubero

Sorry Colin, but I have temporarily stopped running Ubero on both of my boxes due to so many damned problems running 0.70! I cannot afford the time it takes to have to monitor the CLI's nor the hassle of possibly having to do a reformat of a hard drive again.

I need my two boxes for other stuff besides running a DC project that has to be coddled. I did not mind .06 but .07 has too many issues.

Again, sorry, but I will be back when Ubero is more stable.

Originally posted by ColinT
    There are five of these miscreants who have stopped producing, or in some instances, they have never done a WU.

Team Chili Pepper is closing the gap quickly. We need to put up more numbers just to stay even.

We currently have a 15000 WU lead on Ars, but that will evaporate in a week if we don't get some more boxes producing.

Dyy said he will help, so I am not calling him a miscreant

Please get a box or two running. Even slow boxes work.

Thank you, he said as he hides his Cat'O'Ninetails behind his back.

Colin
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    --William James

Seventeen or Bust: Team Prime Rib

jammy, what issues are you having, I have not had ANY on 13 boxes other than taking alittle too much memory?
    JDAW
    a.k.a. John

John . . .don't tell me that you do not subscribe to the Ubero forum at Yahoo????? Dang . . .I laid it all out there the past two weeks!

And for some reason, my 750 Athlon claasic still does not like Ubero, even after a reformat of the HD and reinstall of the win98 se OS, and an upgrade to java 1.3.1_02. And the T-Bird . . .well . . .I just don't want to take any chances with it. I rea;;y do not know that much about hardware and its upkeep and the little that I do know at times is not enough, and I do not want to have to spend $$$ for something that could have been avoided in the first place.

I am playing it safe and running Seti for now . . .this is a project with minimal needs and I do not have to worry about waking up in the morning only to find my box has froze.

As I said, I cannot coddle these projects for I have too many other things to do.

Originally posted by JDAW
    jammy, what issues are you having, I have not had ANY on 13 boxes other than taking alittle too much memory?
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices.
    --William James

Yeah, I do subscribe to yahoo forum, but I'm too busy to read it most of the time.

well, I only have one box with 98se on it and it has been up for 44 days, 10 hours so far with out a problem. Granted it is not a work box, it is a cruncher ONLY so it sits in its corner all day every week just crunching away.

It is a Gigabyte GA-7VMM with a 1000 athlon. with 128mgs of sdram. I upgraded to this setup from a AMD K62-350 WITHOUT a re-format of the hard drive.

I would suggest that if you do want to run Ubero again one is to make sure you have all the Windows Updates and run a virus scan on it, and Download a fresh Ubero Client and java pack and install each one ....one at a time with a reboot in between.

Good Luck
    JDAW
    a.k.a. John

Question huh?

So . . .what OS' do your other boxes run? I am quite sure that the one running 98 SE does not contribute that much, lol.

Rank Member Assignments Agents Location
    1 gerryb 105,254 11 Massachusetts, USA
    2 Jdaw 86,695 13 Texas, USA
    And yeh . . .I am testing 0.7.1 and all I had to do was download a new 0.7.0 client, install it and then open and install the 0.7.1 upgrade. I already have the java 1.3.1_02 installed on this box.

Jammy

well, I only have one box with 98se on it and it has been up for 44 days, 10 hours so far with out a problem. Granted it is not a work box, it is a cruncher ONLY so it sits in its corner all day every week just crunching away.

I would suggest that if you do want to run Ubero again one is to make sure you have all the Windows Updates and run a virus scan on it, and Download a fresh Ubero Client and java pack and install each one ....one at a time with a reboot in between.

Good Luck
    --William James

i get to CHOOSE ONE ??!!

Cool

....one at a time with a reboot in between.
    windows. re-boot ?? nauuuuwww ... say it isn't so ...

Re: huh?

Originally posted by Jammy

So . . .what OS' do your other boxes run? I am quite sure that the one running 98 SE does not contribute that much, lol.

all the rest are on W2K i have the same luck with them also, that many days up running!!!.
    JDAW
    a.k.a. John

Well, I tried to add it to a bunch of my Linux boxes, but it won't install. I get the exact same error message each time. I'll post the error a little later.

On the plus side, I've heard that P4's are supposedly pretty good at Ubero. Is this true? If so, I've got 2 P4-2gz boxes and a P4-1.5gz box I could add (provided the installer will work).

Dyy just added a P4. It smokes!
    Colin Thompson

Colin - is it worth putting Ubero on my old Pentium systems?

(P133x3,P150,P166,P200 - all with 48MB or more)

i get to CHOOSE ONE ??!!

Cool

ditto!!

... and there's no yellow ...

Dejon:

48 megs is pushing the lower limit. The speeds are OK. If the client starts swapping, I'd remove it - or add more memory.

If you need memory, ask in the bargain basement. I'm sure people have spare memory. I just gave JT a couple of sticks so he could get some slow boxes running.

I doibt 48 megs is emough though.
    Colin Thompson

i get to CHOOSE ONE ??!!

Cool

... and speed-wise your "Minister-ship-ness" ??

I'm running a P166 and getting about 43 a day from it, but it's loaded up in ram. 96Megs worth.

And just call me "Sir".
    Colin Thompson

Hmmm...I just noticed that JDAW guy is doing pretty good for TCP...

/me decides to put a whoop'n on that guy...

In fact, I think I'll go over and challenge him personally!

i get to CHOOSE ONE ??!!

Cool

... And just call me "Sir".
    ... maybe Your Lordship ??!!

Talking

Dyy[TAB],

So you want to take on John? I'd like that too. I'd pay five bucks to see you pass him

I like the forum colors, but we lost the graphic on our Folding page at Statsman.
    Colin Thompson

Stats God in Training Darkness Productions's Avatar
    I have gauntlet stats running now. http://gms8994.dyndns.org/stats/ubero/gauntlet/

When is this gauntlet scheduled to end, when Dyy passes JDAW, or is there a set date?

I have tried running it..... but since the upgrade to the new version ,whenever i have downloaded and tried to enter my name and password it freezes my computer!!!!

Have tried a reinstall at least 7 times over the past month..... and every time it happens so have given up untill the next version comes out

Chas:

Please give me some details. OS, machine, Java version, Ubero version, etc.
    Colin Thompson

Chas:

Please give me some details. OS, machine, Java version, Ubero version, etc.
    Athlon1200 / windoze millenium/ version 7.0 /according to the install log everything was successful.....

Check your errorlog in the Ubero dir. Dump it here. Let's see it.
    Colin Thompson

Cannot see aerror log in Ubero Dir, perhaps cause it refuses to let me connect to run anything !!

copy of install log pasted below.............

com.zerog.ia.installer.Installer en Ubero Distributed Computing Agent v0.7
    com.zerog.ia.installer.Installer 2 true true true false 2 false
    com.zerog.ia.installer.Installer com/zerog/ia/installer/images/backgroundImage.gif
    com.zerog.ia.installer.Installer com/zerog/ia/installer/images/labelBackground.png
    com.zerog.ia.installer.Installer com/zerog/ia/installer/images/currentLabelIcon.gif
    com.zerog.ia.installer.Installer com/zerog/ia/installer/images/previousLabelIcon.gif
    com.zerog.ia.installer.Installer com/zerog/ia/installer/images/futureLabelIcon.gif
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallDirectory false C:\Program Files\Ubero\UCIAlignment
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile 3124725 C:\Program Files\Ubero\UCIAlignment\noncode
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile 306 C:\Program Files\Ubero\UCIAlignment\project.txt
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile 8364 C:\Program Files\Ubero\UCIAlignment\ucialignment.class
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile C:\Program Files\Ubero\lax.jar
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.MakeExecutable C:\Program Files\Ubero\Agent.exe
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile 0 C:\Program Files\Ubero\Agent.lax
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile 1510 C:\Program Files\Ubero\agent.def
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallZipfile 214336 C:\Program Files\Ubero\Agent.jar
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallUninstaller 1 8 1 C:\Program Files\Ubero
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile 0 C:\Program Files\Ubero\uninstaller.jar
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.MakeExecutable C:\Program Files\Ubero\Uninstall Ubero Distributed Computing Agent v0.7.exe
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile 0 C:\Program Files\Ubero\Uninstall Ubero Distributed Computing Agent v0.7.lax
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallDirectory false C:\Program Files\Ubero\resource
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile 36864 C:\Program Files\Ubero\resource\iawin32.dll
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile 53248 C:\Program Files\Ubero\resource\remove.exe
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.MakeRegEntry $INSTALLED$|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ubero Distributed Computing Agent v0.7|DisplayName|STRING|Ubero Distributed Computing Agent v0.7$DELETE$|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ubero Distributed Computing Agent v0.7
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.MakeRegEntry $INSTALLED$|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ubero Distributed Computing Agent v0.7|UninstallString|STRING|"C:\Program Files\Ubero\Uninstall Ubero Distributed Computing Agent v0.7.exe"$DELETE$|HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ubero Distributed Computing Agent v0.7|UninstallString
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile 236 C:\Program Files\Ubero\UberIcon.gif
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile 7256 C:\Program Files\Ubero\license.txt
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile EF C:\Program Files\Ubero\update.lax
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile EF C:\Program Files\Ubero\powerupdate.app.pu.properties
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile EF C:\Program Files\Ubero\update.jar
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile EF C:\Program Files\Ubero\update.exe
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile EF C:\Program Files\Ubero\product.app.pu.properties
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile PUC C:\Program Files\Ubero\powerupdate.user.pu.properties
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile PUC C:\Program Files\Ubero\product.user.pu.properties
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile PUC C:\Program Files\Ubero\user.pu.properties
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile PUC C:\Program Files\Ubero\PULog.txt
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile PUC C:\Program Files\Ubero\PUOut.txt
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallDirectory false C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Ubero
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.CreateShortcut C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Ubero\Check for Update.lnk
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.CreateShortcut C:\Program Files\Ubero\Agent.ico
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.CreateShortcut C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Ubero\Run Ubero Agent.lnk
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.CreateShortcut C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Ubero\Uninstall Ubero Agent.lnk
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile 1971 C:\Program Files\Ubero\resource\ZGWin32LaunchHelper.exe
    com.zerog.ia.installer.actions.InstallFile 123 C:\Program Files\Ubero\Ubero_Distributed_Computing_Agent_v0.7_InstallLog.log

Use Port 443 if you can't connect

Chas,

If you were able to get to the login screen but couldn't enter your login/password try using port 443.

To make this change, edit the "agent.cfg" file in a text editor. Fine the line that says

Coordinator-Port: 80

and change it to

Coordinator-Port: 443

A lot of people that were having connectivity problems before can work over port 443.

The problem is that many network engineers, including perhaps the ones at your ISP, assume all traffic flowing over port 80 is HTTP but our's is not so if there are content cache boxes in between you and Ubero it won't work. We used port 80 because it's a very open port most admins leave open on their firewalls so their users can browse the web. So is port 443, which is used for SSL or HTTPS traffic, but you don't have the caching problems because it's no use caching encrypted SSL traffic that isn't readable to anybody else.

- Scott
    Scott Hodson
    Founder, Ubero