Thread: Iplayer

Iplayer

Any of you use the BBC Iplayer service ?
    What do you think of it ?

have used it loads.
    It,s ok no problems.

But in the settings make sure the upload (or what ever its called) is de-selected. otherwise you then share the download with other people who want it. kind of like bit torrent

I am reluctant to try it after the steaming pile that 4oD is. Tempted now.

If you downlod the file, best way. 500-600MBs. Very slow. i allow 24 hrs.

It seems to take a few k bandwidth from lots of people. this is what takes the time. Most shows are streamed too. I like to download them

I've been using it since the beta when the pain in the ass wasn't the player but the crap company chosen to run it and their torrent of emails demanding a review of just about every program. Otherwise the actual iPlayer is no probs, just the time it can take to get a prog. Streaming isn't too good but passable on a low traffic 6-8Gbps network. I also use Sky's service which uses similar almost identical software but they have thousands of movies (well maybe several hundred) and their download is good. Progs on both have a shelf life by when they have to be used.
    I switch the actual service to manual instead of auto so it just runs when I use it and doesn't auto start every boot.
    As said otherwise, it seems to be more of a torrent service than a straight download so watch your settings as my invariable 768kbps upload speed was saturated causing some browsing and net problems till I sorted it out.
    Not used any of the Chan3/4/5 whatever services yet or any of the many pay ones around nowadays as there are loads of free tv progs available on the net from several sites.
    Like an ol` 8086, slow but serviceable.
    One advantage of old age...nobody can tell you how much cake you can eat