Thread: changing HDDs is hard work!

Blog Entries

changing HDDs is hard work!

I finally reinstalled my PS3 with YDL 6.0 on a 320 GB HDD!
    I don't own a LCD-TV with HDMI, but the HDMI->DVI cable works fine with my 24" monitor

I killed three screwdrivers to change the 40 GB HDD to a 320 GB one I had to drive to my grandfather for additional tools, now I owe him two screwdrivers After putting the HDD into a bench vise I managed it to get the last screw away to replace the disk

But now the dnetc-client is up and running again. Later I'll do some testing with samba and vnc and then make it headless again and put it back into the cabinet.
    the-mk

What, no pics?

Blog Entries
    sorry, I forgot

my mobilephone doesn't make that good pictures and my digicam need full charged batteries five minutes ago I wanted to make pictures for you but the camera said "empty batteries"

I'll give you some later that day...

BTW: vnc sucks, with Mandriva or Debian I got better results after 5 minutes of work
    Last edited by the-mk; 08-12-2009 at 05:32 PM.
    the-mk

Blog Entries
    OK, after editing the ~./vnc/xstartup to the content a Mandriva has, it works beautiful, now I get something to see I'm used to...
    the-mk

That looks nice. I just use ssh myself. More memory for the DNET clients that way.

Blog Entries
    The PS3 has really not much memory, 256 MB RAM and I think 256 MB for graphics, but the dnet client doesn't need that much, only a few MBs...

Running Azureus for Bittorrent I can forget, because the supplied java version is not matching to the one Azureus would need, and on java.com you can't download a suitable version

So my Linux experience after that few trials is: very slow! for running just dnetc or other distributed computed clients it is ok, but if you want to do more: use a real machine with memory!
    the-mk

Blog Entries
    temperature in my room exceeds 25°C (77°F) and my PS3 got loud, fans are working like crazy! I have to shut it down until temperatures go to normal... maybe until September or October

but then OGR may have finished and I really have no use for it alpha, it might be your turn
    the-mk

There are some that do that. It's a faulty temp sensor.
    In fact, I have one that does the same thing, in an A/C controlled room kept at 78F.

I can tell you for certain, it is not as noisy as a single 10,000 rpm Intel Xeon heatsink.

Blog Entries
    funny thing is that my PS3 never did something like that... but the last few days it got hot like in summer and the temperature in my room raised over 25°C. today I went to the toilette and when I came back the fans of that PS3 yelled very loud, louder than usual.
    the-mk

Blog Entries
    never change a running system, but did you ever update your system-software of a PS3 in the game-OS? during re-install I updated it from 2.01 (or something like that) to 2.35. might that cause the loud fans?

BTW: a pic of the screwdriver and the HDD attachment
    the-mk

I updated them once, when I first bought them, since then, they have been running Linux.
    I'll probably take one of the one's I shut down and flip it back to being a PS3 soon so I can play games and or watch movies and turned off when not being used.

Blog Entries
    huh u can run it when you are not at home )))
    wbr, Me. Dead J. Dona \

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Death View Post
    huh u can run it when you are not at home )))
    that's a suggestion, but not for people in the house who have the opinion that all electrical devices must be switched off AND be disconnected from the power supply when you leave the house, else the house would burn down I like my grand mother
    the-mk